My all grain (BIAB) no chill beers are all really bad...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone asked the OP if he in fact used chinese hops in the beers???!!! I'm onto something, or is that on something....

Mizz, did you ever manage to identify the reason for the sub-par results? I'm considering to get into BIAB, but this thread sure brings up doubts (well, at least enough doubts to make me register, seeking for an update).

Thanks!

Mizz - sorry to hear this tale of woe. Hope you get sorted. Your method sounds fine to me.

Yirg - some of the comments on this thread are unbelievable. I've got 50 plus BIAB brews done and only one lost. This was due to me screwing up the temps.

I also use Campden.

God bless you Aussies for BIAB.

A grateful Pommy *******!!!

Was searching around for this topic, i've been relatively unhappy with my BIAB beers, I started homebrewing on BIAB (after fermenting some fresh wort kits) and did two extract brews after BIAB, the fresh wort kits and the extract brews i've done are tasting great, the BIAB beers taste average.

I've hit all my gravity target numbers, know how to use a refractometer and calculate water additions/boil off - I've tried chilling and no chilling (no real difference to the output) and i'm left with water chemistry, as I suspect the OP is or was.

My craftbrewer order of calcium sulphate and calcium chloride have come in and i'm looking forward to doing a simple recipe (AndrewQLD's coopers clone) with adjusted water.

Original water (Prospect, Sydney) EBC range is 17-27 with an unbalanced sulfate to chloride ratio according to John Palmers calculator spreadsheet.

Just done a smurto golden ale brew with my water additions, last time I did this brew (no additions) it tasted strange, not bad but just average, not even a shade on a fresh wort kit from craftbrewer however THIS time with the water additions the wort smells and tastes completely different, not even in the same ball park.

I'm much more excited about this, last time the wort didn't taste great at all.

Water additions: learn and do it BIAB folk.

Sydney water (the Warragamba stuff) is beoootiful, when I lived on Bribie Island where the water comes from bores and gets mixed with the grid water that's pretty vile anyway, whenever we visited rellies in Sydney the first thing I would do was have a glass of tap water.

I'd guess it really needs good solid water additions for brewing. Here's an idea, maybe ring round a few craft breweries and ask them ... I've always found craft brewers to be helpful although they are cagey about their exact recipes for some reason :ph34r:

SnakeDoctor said:
Just done a smurto golden ale brew with my water additions, last time I did this brew (no additions) it tasted strange, not bad but just average, not even a shade on a fresh wort kit from craftbrewer however THIS time with the water additions the wort smells and tastes completely different, not even in the same ball park.

I'm much more excited about this, last time the wort didn't taste great at all.

Water additions: learn and do it BIAB folk.

Accidentally forgot my water additions on a recent brew, disapoint again.

It's amazing the amount of difference it makes for my brews.

I'm always amazed why good threads die so suddenly. Some good information in here as well as a lot of piss taking and it's not locked!! Classic!

Yes, good thread an all, but I'm disappointed that the OP (Mizz) never bothered to update if he managed to identify the reason for the sub-par results...

Yirg said:
Yes, good thread an all, but I'm disappointed that the OP (Mizz) never bothered to update if he managed to identify the reason for the sub-par results...
Yeah me too, he might have had a bit of hit and mizz :ph34r:

Back