Do you smoke cigarettes?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you smoke cigarettes?

• Occasionally or socially?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Only when I drink?

• Yes but less than a packet a week

• 2-3 packets a week?

• At least a packet a day?

• I'm a chain smoker and smoke more than a packet a day?

• Non smoker

• Total voters
I'm an easyway way too Truman and so are lots of my friends now, I think 12 have read the book now and one failed, start living your life and don't look back.

To bad for Allan Carr though, the smokes knocked him off in the end but I'm sure he has no regrets, that man has left a legacy that not man can top and that is something his family can very proud of indeed!!

I quit the smokes in November 2009 with the help of champix. The dreams you have on those tablets are the craziest shit you'll experience legally. I would actually pike on social occasions to sleep instead

I've had 2 smokes since then and violently threw up immediately after both occasions

I don't recommend the allan carr audio book, it is so monotonous I recon it could put someone high on meth to sleep

I need a smoke after reading this thread.

Really though, I'm always staggered at how preachy ex smokers are, seems pretty hypocritical to me.

Donske said:
I need a smoke after reading this thread.

Really though, I'm always staggered at how preachy ex smokers are, seems pretty hypocritical to me.
Agreed with you there Donske, I think as long as smokers are aware of others(which I know when I smoked i was ultra aware), then the non smokers have nothing to get on their soap box for, reformed of not.

Best thing I ever did was to have a smoke with my sister at age 15 or so. Being young and dumb I smoked it as quick as I could. And promptly spewed everywhere. I still remember how shit I felt and so have probably smoked less than a full pack in my whole life.

beerdrinkingbob said:
Agreed with you there Donske, I think as long as smokers are aware of others(which I know when I smoked i was ultra aware), then the non smokers have nothing to get on their soap box for, reformed of not.

The most classic smoker thing is when you're talking to a smoker and they exhale with their mouth pointed to one side haha. Like WTF is that gunna do hahaha

austin said:
I quit 12 days ago after 18 years of smoking.
well done Austin, your body will settle into it's new groove soon, for me it about the 2 month mark when the light came on and mostly forgot the smokes, i smoked for a similar time too.

mje1980 said:
Best thing I ever did was to have a smoke with my sister at age 15 or so. Being young and dumb I smoked it as quick as I could. And promptly spewed everywhere. I still remember how shit I felt and so have probably smoked less than a full pack in my whole life.
I had a similar experience, except I was a bit younger around 12 or so and obviously dumber as I had another try and ended up on and off them for years. Haven't smoked for near on 10 years now and never looked back. I would be too much of a tight wad to start up again now anyway. You can buy a six pack of craft with change for less than the price of one pack of smokes and would be far more enjoyable too.

The weird thing I recon about stopping smoking is when you haven't had a smoke or thought about a smoke for years and then you have a dream where your smoking.

i gave up over 12 years ago after smoking fairly heavily for about 16 years. Cold turkey. Decided I was never going to smoke another cigarette again and I haven't.

Feel sorry for those who can't give up, it is a terrible addiction.

Nedasaurus1 said:
i used to smoke a hundred a day up till 4 years ago.........gave them up due to the cost.....last xmas diagnosed with throat cancer.....go figure?????I had to give up as i got to a 50gm packet of white ox per day and it was getting worse....ruled my bloody life and the cost was ridiculous......mind you im NOT an anti smoking campaigner whatsoever...i used to love my smokes still enjoy a wiff of nice tobacco from time to time........im undergoing radiation as we speak and the cancer crew DONT know nor will say what causes throat cancer.......so thats my 2 bobs worth. :) I say if ya enjoy something...do it.....the amazing thing is ive never had a smoke since i gave up....never thought id actually give them up.....my wallet notices the difference though lol, cheers all...Ned
Michael Douglas reckons he knows what caused his throat cancer, fwiw.

wbosher said:
Trying to get the missus to give them away too...that's going to be harder than actually giving them up myself I think. :lol:
+1

Dad smoked, died at 52. Cigarettes weren't a direct cause of death but they didn't help. Wife's dad smoked over 2 packs a day. Died 4 years ago at 76. It was his 4th bout with cancer. Wife's aunt died a year later at about 60 years of age from smoking related cancer. Wife's mother smoked for 55 years (more than 2 packs a day for the majority of that time), is aged 71 now. Med prescreening for her 2nd hip replacement saved her life, as they detected a lung tumour that wasn't there a year ago. Will undergo surgery to remove part of her lung in a couple of weeks. Wife's wedding dress hung in the in-law's closet for 3 or 4 years until the FIL died. Stunk so damn bad we hung it in the garage for a little over 3 years and the smell never receded. Ended up tossing it.

Wife smoked when I met her, and despite bouts of quitting, never really quit. Hopefully this latest news regarding her mother finally tips the scales....

Hate tobacco myself.....

I'm going pretty easy on her, I know how damn hard it is to quit having only just done it myself. I'm being a little sneaky trying to get the kids to do the work for me..."Mummy, I don't like you smoking. Can you please stop?" ;)

I know she wants to quit, she's told me plenty of times, she just can't. Hopefully getting the kids to lay on the guilt trip will tip the scales. I know it sounds very underhanded and devious, but it's all I can think of that we haven't already tried.

Most of the people I know who have successfully quit used that champix stuff that gives you epic dreams. Maybe you should suggest a visit to the GP?

I give it away 5 years ago after 35 years of draggin my guts out, amazing what the threat of a coffin does to you!

Gryphon Brewing said:
F smokers cost the country millions in health care , I should know as it caused my heart attack and killed my dad.
Well and truly reformed. Disgusting vial anti social arse rapist habit.
I am not sitting on the fence on this one.
You smoke you die.
Nev
Sorry to break it to you Nev, but you realise non-smokers die too?

I'm not defending smoking, but if tobacco companies are getting 2-3 bucks a packets, where is the other 18 bucks a pack going? If the govt doesn't spend it on building the most kick ass health service (which would spill over to non-smokers too) that's not my fault.

Edit: Also, I'm not a rapist.

A little bit when I was younger, I was fond of marlboro reds, stopped a long time ago - nearly 20 years.
It was not a good accompaniment to my kickboxing.

Wouldn't mind some weed though, anybody hook me up? :blink:

wbosher said:
I'm going pretty easy on her, I know how damn hard it is to quit having only just done it myself. I'm being a little sneaky trying to get the kids to do the work for me..."Mummy, I don't like you smoking. Can you please stop?" ;)

I know she wants to quit, she's told me plenty of times, she just can't. Hopefully getting the kids to lay on the guilt trip will tip the scales. I know it sounds very underhanded and devious, but it's all I can think of that we haven't already tried.
Tried that already. Kids got yelled at. Not kidding. Haven't tried that approach in 3 years now because of that reaction.

Back