Do you smoke cigarettes?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you smoke cigarettes?

• Occasionally or socially?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Only when I drink?

• Yes but less than a packet a week

• 2-3 packets a week?

• At least a packet a day?

• I'm a chain smoker and smoke more than a packet a day?

• Non smoker

• Total voters
never smoked voluntarily but used to be a huge passive smoker before they banned it in a lot of public places

had no choice, the it was the social scene back then so if you wanted a chance to meet women then you put up with coming home stinking of an ashtray all covered in other peoples breathed out excrement.

i'll take on the freedom of rights activists any day that reckon you should be allowed to smoke anywhere at personal choice. Breathing someone elses smoke is as bad as having them stand on a table and piss on you.

Liam_snorkel said:
Most of the people I know who have successfully quit used that champix stuff that gives you epic dreams. Maybe you should suggest a visit to the GP?
She's tried it already, didn't help. Made her feel so bad that cold turkey is probably a better alternative.

newguy said:
Tried that already. Kids got yelled at. Not kidding. Haven't tried that approach in 3 years now because of that reaction.
Kids get yelled at plenty already, and nothing to do with smoking. :lol:

I congratulate all of you who have quit smoking, and I'll get there some time too. But we don't need the government to enforce it.

The problem with giving away your rights to the government is they never give them back, and the more they take the more they can get away with taking as people get used to this idea of being completely nannied by the state. Look what happened after September 11 in the States, people got all uppity and gave away their rights in a swathe of 'anti-terrorism' laws which they will never get back. I realise it's an extreme example, but you get the idea.

If they ban smoking. it's not that far a step to going back to banning home brewing. Because, you know, people die and it's bad for society because people that drink have a negative impact on tea-totallers. And realistically, if you live near a main road or cycle/walk regularly near traffic.. it's probably not that much different from being a smoker, so shouldn't we ban combustion engines?

Like the old sticker used to say.. Ban Bullshit Before Bullbars.

Al

I agree about not banning things, prohibition never does any good, will just drive it underground like pot. No govt in their right mind would ever do that anyway IMO, way too much tax will be lost.

People bleat on about the cost of smoking in terms of health costs to the country, but the tax they get on smokes, at least here in NZ is far more than smokers cost the taxpayer. They just keep driving up the price every year, which IMO is the most effective way to get people off the things, won't work for everyone but seems top be working here for the most part. The number of smokers here is at an all time low, and dropping every year.

The other thing is education aimed at kids, make smoking look uncool, seems to be working. Most teens that I know think smoking is for losers, complete reversal from when I started in the early '80s.

wbosher said:
I'm going pretty easy on her, I know how damn hard it is to quit having only just done it myself. I'm being a little sneaky trying to get the kids to do the work for me..."Mummy, I don't like you smoking. Can you please stop?" ;)

I know she wants to quit, she's told me plenty of times, she just can't. Hopefully getting the kids to lay on the guilt trip will tip the scales. I know it sounds very underhanded and devious, but it's all I can think of that we haven't already tried.
get her to hypnosis, it works very well and a good therpaist will give her ongoing support.

Nah, tried that too, and patches, and e-ciggies. Cold turkey is the only thing that's going to work for her I think. The problem is you need to really want to do it, I just don't think she's quite there yet.

I smoked for 10 years. Tried to quit about 5 times before finally succeeding. The biggest aspect to my successful quitting attempt was I really wanted to quit. All the other times friends/relatives/colleagues said I should quit and I would go without for a few weeks then get back on them. As soon as I decided that I wanted to quit for myself, it was easy (well, not as hard).

Now I can't stand the ******* things. Just the smell of ciggie smoke alone makes me sick.

Man, I'm struggling today. Kid woke me up at 4 am and all I want is coffee and a smoke.

Man, I'm struggling today. Kid woke me up at 4 am and all I want is coffee and a smoke.

austin said:
I hear you man.
Wife just had a baby and is still in the maternity ward while I'm at home looking after a 3 year old.
Bought a pack tonight after quitting when the 3 year old was born. Had one and it tasted like shit so threw the rest of the pack out.

Started smoking ciggies in the 90`s cos the skipper didn`t like us having a bong on board. I know it varies more state to to state i dont like it straight, but if they ban tobacco wtf am i going to mix with ? our should i just switch to Breaking Bad like thats all cool and trendy ?
Lucky to smoke a pack in 2 months now .
Hated smoking indoors . Pubs are all the better for the ban, not to mention restaurants. You want old school now go 3rd world and soak up that haze.
Well done to those that gave up , good luck to those that didn`t.
Remember this , no one gets out alive.

Used to smoke. Totally loved it, the ritual of the rolling and the roll of the smoke off my lips, the exhale. If I could smoke and drink coffee 24/7 I would, but my body just isn't made for it. As a friend of mine once said, quitting smoking is a sad, stupid thing that some of us have to do. I genuinely think there are a few people built for it and the rest of us are at our own mercy. The trick is being able to tell before it's too late.

I was never addicted until I started smoking to deal with frustration at work. Then I was hooked. Before that I could pick it up and put it down at will. Over the course of 12 years I probably smoked for a total of 3 of them. Then I got the emotions involved!

After 10 years of regular smoking - best one is the first one, 6am, cuppa coffee - I found out my wife was pregnant. I decided I didn't want to risk anything more with my life and just stopped. I had already been through cancer. Before, I had tried to quit a thousand times but this time I actually wanted it and it was totally my own decision. Cold turkey, just decided. The first three weeks are hard, but it eases up a lot after that. I don't regret it or miss it at all. I hang out sometimes with social smokers smoking because I like the hang out (no drags ;) ).

I have no issues with smokers or smoking, and don't think the government should ban it. (Seems to me the problem is commercialization actually.) Some people seem to be able to be lifelong smokers with no major ill effect. More power to 'em. Wish I could.

I gave up smoking years ago but as others have said I do still dream that I smoke and wake up feeling guilty.
But as an impact on society I think that alcohol gets first prize, although I did read that junk food is has taken over the both of them.

Some gold in here. Someone has probably linked similar in the thread but anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_9NtA80qHg

Hippy said:
I hear you man.
Wife just had a baby and is still in the maternity ward while I'm at home looking after a 3 year old.
Bought a pack tonight after quitting when the 3 year old was born. Had one and it tasted like shit so threw the rest of the pack out. 
Good for you. I would have kept it up. I went out an bought some cigarillos to chew on. I'm having a hard time quitting this time around.

Im 42 days quit today and so far have been doing okay. I get the odd cue induced craving especially if swmbo has one sometimes but other than that the Champix has really been doing the job this time.

And according to my quit app Ive saved $820.00 although I wish I had that money in my hand.

Been almost seven months here, must have saved thousands...I can't see that money anywhere either. Buggered if I know where it went...well actually... :chug:

18 months cigarette free for me after nearly 30 years of smoking! Best thing I ever did! Highly recommend it to anyone thinking of quitting.
Cheers
Steve

Edit. Champix worked for me. Sends you a bit cuckoo for a while but hey it was worth it!

Well I'm 6 weeks into my quiting journey. Smoked a 50 gram pouch of Bank every 3 days ( more over the weekends ) for 16 years. Absolutely loved it, loved the smell of a freshly opened pouch, the smell and taste of the smoke, the ritual of rolling a smoke the who lot. What made me want to quit was when my 2 year old boy looked outside and said " daddy smoke" and pointed at my pouch. I knew there and then if I wanted him to never touch them then I had to be a roll model and give them up.
Had a few good arguments with the missus since I gave them up as she smokes to but it's worth it in the long run.

Back