Do you smoke cigarettes?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you smoke cigarettes?

• Occasionally or socially?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Only when I drink?

• Yes but less than a packet a week

• 2-3 packets a week?

• At least a packet a day?

• I'm a chain smoker and smoke more than a packet a day?

• Non smoker

• Total voters
Nick JD said:
Don't let your little one see you smoke, Yob.

Be the end of the line for him/her.
i agree with you entirely JD although my oldest of three boys was the only one to see me smoke & has never touched them at all.

Still to understand how I got sucked into smoking whilst a minor in a swimming club with a little smidgen of talent?
Google 'Barry Tudman' if that helps? Excellent swimmer, bodgie, motorcycle hoon. Smoked & partied like there was no tomorrow & was still an Australian champion still-water swimmer. He could have been an Olympic champion if he had put his mind to it but the dredded cigarettes & his lifestyle choices were not to be denied & so he kept on smoking & doing his bikie thing.
Good friend & am proud to call him a clubmate X 2 & neighbour of mine in years gone by & I really hope someone will learn from his mistakes?

I started smoking at 18 & finally got free at 31 & am so 38 years off the dredded fags. :super:

End of Rant :D

PS --- IT'S A LIFESTYLE CHOICE AS TUDDY WOULD SAY (Booze included). -_-

Great series of posts to an interesting topic without a hint of agro! Is this the NEW AHB?

I teach 16-18yo kids science and it is amazing to see the attitudes to smoking in the 'younger' generation. Apart from a small subset (mid-upper class 'alternative' posers) most kids hate smoking with a vengeance and can quote health stats on cue. As someone said earlier in the topic 'they are on the way out'. Personally I am looking forward to an outright ban but its gotta take into account the people who cannot give up. Maybe a ban that begins with a ban on under 30's purchasing ciggies followed ten years later by increasing the age etc?

Unfortunately given the nature of this forum, the next big public health targets comprise of obesity and booze. Interestingly the booze burden is hitting not only the 16-25 group but the 50-70yo empty nesters. Gets less publicity but arguably costs the health system more (broken hips, loss of mobility, pre-diabetes etc). I think however the evidence points to relatively 'safe' levels of alcohol consumption, unlike tobacco.

Stew

Ruins your taste buds... Why bother making amazing home brew if you can't taste it? Might as well drink fosters.....

Black Devil Dog said:
I slipped "durry" in thinking that was pretty "old school", but you win. :D
I AM old school BDD. :p
Hoping you won't have to stand on stilts down there at Golden Beach in the next few days if the forcast is okker?
350mm here since Friday 15th & NO airconditioner here either.
Bloody hell, hope we don't drown in our own sweat? :lol:

Just kidding. :)

The dream thing is a real spin out that so many of us have it. When I gave up even ten years later I would have dreams that I was smoking again and really hate myself for it. I would wake up and have to stop and think before realizing it was a dream. I was so releived that it was just a dream.

Of course now its realty and I do smoke again. Silly me.

smoked for over 25 yrs one dose off allan carr's eaasy way havent even looked at another one even had beers the same night i gave up.
that was over 5 yrs ago .look for the torrent files those that are inclined

i typicaly dont even think of smoking even tho my offsider is in and out of the truck every 15 minutes and stinks like a ashtray every time .
if ya wana give up and dont want the craving shit give allen carr easy way to give up smoking a go

ttfn

Yob said:
Id really like to say Im a non smoker... but I cant.. I mostly surrender whan Im on the turps and hate myself for the weakness..

That said I dont smoke from day to day and Im proud of that.. If needs be I will go off the turps fro a month and see if that helps...

I have 6 weeks till my first child is born and Im determined that that will be the catalyst if it hasnt already happened.

Grandfather.. Lung Cancer
Grandfather.. emphasemia
Old man... is heading that way (+Melanoma)
Old Lady... (very recent) Lung Cancer

Reasons to give em a miss... yeah a couple... just shows how ******* evil they are, Im having a beer now and guess what Im trying to talk myself out of? :unsure:
6 weeks Yob, that's plenty of time to prepare yourself.

Don't taper down, don't use any nicotine replacement (can you imagine prescribing heroin for addicts trying to quit heroin?) just stop. You'll need to be confident that in the first few days you won't have any difficult social situations or temptations but the physical cravings will stop very quickly. The psychological addiction is the real battle, no joke. Try Allen Carr (not sure how to spell it!) His method helped me to quit with much less pain than I really deserved.

There is no halfway mate, don't smoke at all (no nicotine in your system EVER!) or time after time you'll end up a smoker who wishes he wasn't.

There were two brothers, one smoked the other didn't. After ten years or so the non smoker saved enough money to build a shed.
Then there was lightning and the lightning struck the shed. The shed burned to the ground within minutes.
The non smoker said:
I should have smoked.

then he went on and built a house for the same money his brother spent on fags.one packet at a time

arthur said:
There were two brothers, one smoked the other didn't. After ten years or so the non smoker saved enough money to build a shed.
Then there was lightning and the lightning struck the shed. The shed burned to the ground within minutes.
The non smoker said:
I should have smoked.
Q. What did the smoker say?

A. Nothing. He couldn't speak once his tongue and larynx had been removed,

there are more no smokers these days than smokers so lets make it illegal :) all ya doing is sucking in shit then out again how would it be if there was no more smokes :)
ban em i reacon saves new smokers taking it up ,,,kids

2x that
why would ya take up smoking ,it only takes 1 cigarette and u hooked ,,,,why would anyone do it knowing what we know now

My wife and I are (hopefully) giving up tomorrow. I'll find it easier to do during the week when I'm busy at work, than in the weekend. I don't smoke at all during the day when I'm at work, if fact I don't usually have my first smoke until I get home from work. That's the one I really enjoy.

My 7yo daughter hates the fact that we smoke and "will die" unless we stop. Good thing the kids these days are having it drummed into them how stupid it is to smoke.

Oh well, off for a ciggie now... :p

can you imagine prescribing heroin for addicts trying to quit heroin?
Ironically enough my limited understanding of the methadone program is exactly that, despite all the equally bad stuff it does to you.

Latest posts

Back