Do You Have To Rehydrate Nottingham

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The King of Spain

Reaction score
I'm doing an ale today using Notts. I've gotten pretty used to dry pitching s189 over the winter. Can you get away with dry pitching Notts??

Cheers

I've only used it once and I dry pitched - at around 16-17c it was pretty much finished in around 4 days.

I stopped re hydrating my dry yeasts early this year - I'm getting good results pitching dry so why bother...

Yes, but as with ALL dry yeast the healthy cell count will be higher if properly hydrated. It would also be more importantly to hydrate s189 being a lager yeast and you want as many healthy yeast as possible.

Similar experiences here - haven't bothered to rehydrate either.
This yeast goes off - like Andreic has said it can be all over in 4 -5 days.

Cheers

Craig

Yes, but as with ALL dry yeast the healthy cell count will be higher if properly hydrated. It would also be more importantly to hydrate s189 being a lager yeast and you want as many healthy yeast as possible.

Rehydrated it shall be.

Thanks

i rehydrate but i dont bother with using cooled boiled water, i think that's just overkill and a waste of time. just plain ol' tap water is fine. if a zillion k&k brewers using 20L of plain old unboiled tap water in a batch dont have problems, I dont see how 100ml is going to be an issue

Lallemand Hydration Info

THREE EASY STEPS
1. For best results, rehydrate active dried wine (or beer) yeast by opening the 5 gram sachet and pouring contents into 50 mL (1/3 cup) clean 40C (104F) water.
2. Stir lightly and allow the yeast suspension to stand for at least 15 minutes but no longer than 30 minutes, then stir again.
3. Then pour the yeast suspension (inoculation) into the juice or must (or wort, if brewing beer) to start the fermentation.

:beer:

I just use dry and 2 packets for cold brewing. Ross dry pitches dry yeast and he sells the stuff, so he cant be too far off the mark.

All 'what you should do's' aside, I too get good results from just throwing the contents of a packet on top of the wort, no ceremony, no effort. Pretty much why I like Nottingham, aside from the fact that it ferments out like a mad thing and glues itself to the bottom of the fermenter when it's done.......(I like to use it for beers that I'm in a hurry to be able to drink)

i rehydrate but i dont bother with using cooled boiled water, i think that's just overkill and a waste of time. just plain ol' tap water is fine. if a zillion k&k brewers using 20L of plain old unboiled tap water in a batch dont have problems, I dont see how 100ml is going to be an issue

Thanks Lucas for saying what I thought was my 'dirty' secret. I am a tap water man!

No affiliation etc.

InCider.

I just add 1 or 2 packets depending on the Gravity and size of my brew never had a problem
:D

MHB made a very interesting and comprehensive reply about rehydrating some time back.

The feedback he had from customers, was that the rehydraters often experienced problems. The people that pitched dry had more success.

This applied to dried yeast in general, rather than to a specific yeast.

If you are going to rehydrate, follow the instructions already posted from the manufacturers website. Make sure you use a thermometer so that the water is the correct temperature. Don't shock your yeast by taking it straight out of the fridge and dumping it in hot water.

I always rehydrate, and have had excellent results with fast takeoff and good attenuation.

I always boil the water, but I'm on tank water so that's a must.

Can any one tell me if Nottingham is available in liquid form. White labs do it, just buggered if i can find it. Dried is cool but liquid seems to impart a better flavour.

hey mate,

I live in the UK and its easy to get on the Uk websites. I think they will post it to you however dont know what the postage charge is, they may sting you. Go on www.google.co.uk and browse the available online stores.
If they charge u through the nose, let me know and i'll happily post it to you for cost. I think a normal envelope is 2 but who knows what conditions it goes through to get to aus... may be dead by then!!

Good luck!

Aussie home brew site...perhaps seeking good Australian advice??

I mean that in the nicest possible way....good luck with the rugby....

YOU DONT STAND A CHANCE!!!!

:super:

Back