Do you fill your fermenter completely with sanitiser?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
motman said:
I regularly chuck the kitchen cloths through the wash - I use a newly washed and dried one to clean brewing gear with - I'm working on the assumption that a clean and dry cloth won't be harbouring too many bacteria.. Whaddaya all reckon?
I reckon sponges are cheap.

fraser_john said:
Yep, 500ml of hot water with either caustic, tricleanium or sod.perc to clean, rinse, then 200 ml starsan sloshed around, usually leave it in there till I need the carboy/cube again. I burn bugs with steam on the SS conical fermenter.....
Hopefully this doesn't sound too stupid but how do you get it with steam? I am needing to give mine a thorough clean to rule out infection.

About 1/3 full of hot PBW, shake it around and then soaked with lid on upside down over night, then next day standing upright until I can be assed lightly wiping inside with dedicated FV cleaning sponge. Hot rinse and then 100mL or so of stars an swished around and left upside down to dry with tap removed (taps get a dismantle and PBW soak separately also).

I too put water use on priority list to minimise. Also is PBW Ok for the lawn? I would have thought the alkalinity would kill the grass?

Moad said:
Hopefully this doesn't sound too stupid but how do you get it with steam? I am needing to give mine a thorough clean to rule out infection.

I use a cheap steam cleaner you can get off ebay for about $90, close all the valves on the conical, tighten lid and then connect the steam generators nozzle via a bung to the blow off valve/hole in the lid. Wait till it pressurises a bit and then crack the dump valve so it is squirting steam under pressure, once it gets hot enough to not touch, it is sanitised. Close it all back up and then fit a sanitary filter to blow off valve/hole in the lid so any air it pulls back in is sanitary.

Works a charm. Sounds long winded, but can usually get it done during the sparge process so it is ready by the end of the boil.

edit -> one of these jobbies works brilliant for sanitising kegs as well.

lael said:
I've always filled to the brim with sod. Perc. And left to soak. Gets the scum off without having to touch it. Is there a better way?
I ferment in Jerry Cans and clean them the same way before putting away for my next brew. Lids cracked so the Jerries don't swell up too much.

Before use I make up about 10L of Starsan and add to the Jerry and let it sit for a few minutes. I then swill it around a bit and then turn it upside and down and let it sit for a few minutes. Then swill around some more and run the lots out through the tap into a bucket for re-use.

I then re-use the same Starsan roughly the same way for sterilising my kegs and other equipment for my brew day.

To sanitise I use a spray bottle filled with starsan and completely coat all inside surfaces, then tip the 500ml spay bottle contents in and slosh it around before tipping it out.

manticle said:
Sod perc is but less certain about pbw.
What about poor man's PBW which is 80% perc and 20% sodium metasilicate, would the metasilicate be OK? It's just a surfactant AFAIK...

fill to above tap..give fermenter a good shake/swill around, what awhile then drain thru tap,tip upside down.then use

DJ_L3ThAL said:
What about poor man's PBW which is 80% perc and 20% sodium metasilicate, would the metasilicate be OK? It's just a surfactant AFAIK...
Unsure. I asked the question a few years back when I was considering getting some. It was suggested by brewers I trusted not to be biodegradeable but I can't tell you more than that. Pure percarb does a good enough job for my liking so I never went down that route.

Fivestar chemicals list it as environmentally friendly and biodegradeable.
No idea of the effect on pH but I reckon they'd respond to a polite email.

manticle said:
Unsure. I asked the question a few years back when I was considering getting some. It was suggested by brewers I trusted not to be biodegradeable but I can't tell you more than that. Pure percarb does a good enough job for my liking so I never went down that route.
Will email me and report back!

DU99 said:
fill to above tap..give fermenter a good shake/swill around, what awhile then drain thru tap,tip upside down.then use
Don't you remove the tap, pull it apart, clean and sanitise and clean/sanitise the fermenter tap thread? A lot of "nasties" can get in there, you'd be surprised.

DJ_L3ThAL said:
I too put water use on priority list to minimise. Also is PBW Ok for the lawn? I would have thought the alkalinity would kill the grass?

DJ_L3ThAL said:

manticle said:

manticle said:
Fivestar chemicals list it as environmentally friendly and biodegradeable.
No idea of the effect on pH but I reckon they'd respond to a polite email.

This is the email response I got back from Five star:

Thank you for contacting Five Star Chemicals. In regards to your question, you will want to neutralize the pH of that PBW solution before dumping it. It can go in your lawn, or down the drain, but regardless it should be watered down to a neutral pH of 6-8 before disposal. PBW solution is usually at a highly alkaline pH of 10-12. I hope this helps. Happy Holidays!

So diluting further with MORE water is the answer to helping save water by tipping on the lawn, LOL. Perhaps if pH is the only problem you could mix spent starsan with spent PBW to obtain some sort of neutral pH around 6 and tip on the lawn.

I might just try tipping me next spent batch of PBW on the back corner lawn and take some photos to see if the it does damage without lowering the pH... will report back!

I've never used any sanitizer or soap/bleach on my fermenter or bottles. After I bottle a brew I take my fermenter outside and hose it down while using a soft sponge to get any of the thick stuff off, I don't use a scourer as to avoid any scratches that may become areas at risk of infection.
After it's spotless I pour in about 2-3 litres of boiling water, fit the lid and give it a good shake, being sure not to spray myself with water that may come through the airlock hole. The steam and boiling water will kill any and all bacteria in the fermenter. I can't comment on others vessels but the high temps have not damaged my plastic fermenter, which was my only concern when trying this method.

Jim.

Latest posts

Back