Do I Repitch?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blueweb

Reaction score
Ok so I made my wort and pitched my yeast on Sunday midday( I'm a west Aussie and it's Monday night 9:00 o'clock) so it's been a fair while since I threw my yeast in but there isn't a lot of activity going on in my fermenter( not much in the way of foam and bubbles) but not a bad sediment cake, do I wake up tueday morning and repitch or just let it go? The style of beer is a pilsner.​

If its a true lager yeast, I think its not supposed to be very foamy anyway. give it time, the yeasts need to multiply and grow.

Ok so I made my wort and pitched my yeast on Sunday midday( I'm a west Aussie and it's Monday night 9:00 o'clock) so it's been a fair while since I threw my yeast in but there isn't a lot of activity going on in my fermenter( not much in the way of foam and bubbles) but not a bad sediment cake, do I wake up tueday morning and repitch or just let it go? The style of beer is a pilsner.​

What type of yeast (dry or liquid), and where was it from (the lid of the kit or LHBS), and if possible what strain is the yeast?
What was the "use by" date on the yeast (or manufactured date for liquid yeast)?
What was the gravity when you pitched (measured with the glass hydrometer that came with the kit)?
What was the temperature of the wort when you pitched?
What is the temperature now?
Has the gravity changed?
If are using an airlock, is it bubbling :ph34r: ? If not, is the lid well sealed?

Hydrom reading were sweet as temp is 22deg and was a dry yeast. And according to use by date it was faily fresh.

Hydrom reading were sweet as temp is 22deg and was a dry yeast. And according to use by date it was faily fresh.

Unfortunately we can only help you if you answer the questions. If you need more explanation on what the questions mean, please ask.

What was the hydrometer reading (not temperature) when you pitched and now? We need to know this to determine whether any fermentation has occurred.
What was the use by date? How was the yeast stored? We need to know this precisely so we can rule out yeast viability issues.

S-04 is an Ale yeast, so it should ferment well at 22C (although the final beer won't taste like a Pilsner).

Blueweb - the glass looking thing with lots of lines is called a Hydrometer... you need to open the tap of your fermenter after you have positioned a container big enough to hold the hydrometer and the wort with some ability for the hydrometer to self level in the wort. Now once thats done read what the number is on the hydrometer and let us know .. The temperature strip on the side of the fermentor is there to tell you the temp of the wort.. and at 22 degrees its doing ok for a ale yeast really .... not a Pilsner yeast.. I am also assuming that you have used a tin of goo to make your wort from your LHBS ???

I am not trying to be a smart arse here just trying to try and give you an idea of what and where to read as well as gauging your experience .. :)

Cheers

Matt

See here for how to read a hydrometer. This is really critical to solving your problem.

No Matt mate any and all your help Is muchly appreciated, I'll do a reading and get back to ya cheers Mate

Latest posts

Back