Dissolved Co2

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer bum

Reaction score
Hi guys,

When I do ales, I ferment at the bottom end of the yeast temp range for for 7 days before racking to secondary where I leave it for another 7 days to condition. After this I turn off the temp control and cc for another 7 days. At the moment the fridge can only get down to 10C for cc'ing

I have used the priming calculators and wondered at the small (IMO) amount of priming sugar that is called for taking into account the brew temp at bottling, req'd CO2 level etc, etc

How much dissolved CO2 would still be in the brew when it comes to bulk priming?

Are the calculators assuming that the brew is still a few points from home?

Will dissolved CO2 remain in the brew indefinately or is it possible to have no dissolved CO2 in the brew after racking to bulk prime?

Cheers

Gidday Beer Bum,

My understanding is that the brew will be saturated with CO2 at the time of priming. This is of couse providing you have not been too vigerous in the racking stage and pushed some out. If you where to shake the brew up you could in theory push the CO2 out opf solution. You will have noticed that the beer at this stage is effervesent but not sparkling. When you prime and bottle or keg the yeast produce CO2 under pressure thus increasing the concentration of CO2 in the beer above its normal atmospheric pressure saturation point. When you open a bottle or pour a beer the dissolved CO2 then tries to equilibrate with the air and we see bubbles form and we get a nice fizzy beer.

I don't think the calculators assume you are a few points short at priming time. If you have a look at the site below I think it explains it very well.

Try:

http://oz.craftbrewer.org/Library/Methods/...icalGuide.shtml

Cheers

Back