Dislexic Bloke Confused For Drunk And Ejected From Pub

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah...but just after the "The man, an award-winning artist with severe dyslexia and " is "slower speech". Slow or slurred speech is one of the first things they tell you in an RSA course is a sign of intoxication.

Realistically, the publican and the artist are victims of an avidly PC society

But in an RSA course they tell you to look for more than one sign - slurred speech, over friendly with strangers, problems walking straight etc... You'd have to assume that he ticked a couple of the boxes?

Yeah, they do...but I imagine this publican had given his staff a revving over the recent fine and they were over zealous. Like I said, they're both victims...

Yeah, they do...but I imagine this publican had given his staff a revving over the recent fine and they were over zealous. Like I said, they're both victims...

+1 to that.

They're both victims of an overzealous nanny state, in my opinion.

I see this as a "We better put you in a box" senario so we don't get sued by some, " I can't make a decision and think for myself" arshole who will get the backing of a sniffle libertarian.

Picture this.... A 19yr old handicapped seribal pulsie sufferer in a wheelchair gets taken to a pub\club for a shandy with his dad and enjoys the lights and so on from the pokies etc. A rare event that affords the young man some respite from his existance for an hour or two.
The bar staff straight away want to throw him and the father out because he looks young and they don't know how to deal with it.He doesn't fit the box.
Happens all the time.Makes me sad, bureaucratic goody two shoes, fun police. What is this country coming to?
Daz

A mate of mine has been denied entry from several pubs/clubs over the years even though he had'nt even had a drink. He just gets sleepy looking eyes when he's a bit tired... like at the end of a days work.

But when you start arguing with some bouncers to convince them of your sobriety they just get madder and madder and even less likely to let you in.

I see this as a "We better put you in a box" senario so we don't get sued by some, " I can't make a decision and think for myself" arshole who will get the backing of a sniffle libertarian.

Picture this.... A 19yr old handicapped seribal pulsie sufferer in a wheelchair gets taken to a pub\club for a shandy with his dad and enjoys the lights and so on from the pokies etc. A rare event that affords the young man some respite from his existance for an hour or two.
The bar staff straight away want to throw him and the father out because he looks young and they don't know how to deal with it.He doesn't fit the box.
Happens all the time.Makes me sad, bureaucratic goody two shoes, fun police. What is this country coming to?
Daz

Then there's the other side of the coin where the dude was mad enough to actually buy a pub... He has a significant amount of cash, plus his main place of residence on the line. If it goes sour, then he walks away with the shirt on his back, if he is lucky. His licence conditions have increased astronomically over the past 10 years, not to mention his overheads. He has to pay staff minimum wage to be able to get buy, but minimum wage buys him people that are a long way from giving a shit about making any kind of decision that comes with responsibility.

Then he cops a fine for serving outside the RSA conditions of his licence. Two more breaches, and a cranky licencing sargeant and there goes his licence, his livliehood and his house...

Not to mention that he probably worked 14 hours a day the last three years for the priveledge.

It's a lose/lose... thanks Mr Civil Libertarian...

Civil libertarians are the people who believe in your right to drink as long as you're not smashing someone else over the head with a chair while you're doing it. They're the ones against nanny state gobshite, generally. If not, they have no right to call themselves libertarian.

I have a bit of sympathy for both parties but why on earth did the bar management think it would be a good idea for the ejected patron to come up and introduce himself?

'Hi, I'm Jake, I'm not pissed, I'm dyslexic"

Should he do that at the milk bar too?

I love it how a dude is denied a beer and human rights become important around here but talk about refugees and it all becomes "stinking queue jumpers"-this and "ram the boats"-that.

BTW, absolutely not wishing to paint anyone participating in this thread as being racist or similar nor am I saying that anyone's position here is unreasonable - just thought it amusing is all.

This is the second story to make the news this week of this happening in Perth I read yesterday they wouldn't let a guy and his wife in a pub in Subiaco because he had a stutter

'Hi, I'm Jake, I'm not pissed, I'm dyslexic"

Apologies, I meant to type PC police, but another pet hate came out first...

The article says "explained his condition" not particularly the dyslexia...I imagine that the hotelier was referrring to the slurred speech and any other signs they took as innebration, given dyslexia can hardly be judged by any physical traits.

At the end of the day, we only really have the press's interpretation to argue from, it would be interesting to know the actual facts

Having done a RSA, I know where these guys are coming from but they should know better.

That said, the content of the rsa is just common sense, but unfortunately idiots do the wrong thing then screw it for everyone else.

I love it how a dude is denied a beer and human rights become important around here but talk about refugees and it all becomes "stinking queue jumpers"-this and "ram the boats"-that.

Medicins sans frontieres and amnesty international actually do a lot of really good work with unfairly ejected pub patrons.

I agree that it's a tough situation for the owners and bar staff working in the industry. But if you have a group of people telling you that the person in question is actually handicapped, then common sense should take over. Heavy alcohol on the breath is a pretty good sign someones pissed, and I'm sure the one beer wouldn't have given off that sign. Where I work we always speak to the handicapped persons friends just to make sure.

And the poor guy shouldn't have to come up and say, I'm handicapped, he's already stuck with the disability, why does he have to start telling other people about it?

twenty years ago we could have believed everyones' friends, today, not so...

Medicins sans frontieres and amnesty international actually do a lot of really good work with unfairly ejected pub patrons.
I know. I'm wearing one of those little rubber bangles they sell to raise awareness of the issue. It is a denim print in memory of all those who've fallen to unfair dresscode rules, bless their souls.

Apologies, I meant to type PC police, but another pet hate came out first...

Civil liberties include things like the right not to be tortured, the right to fair pay, the right not to be incarcerated etc etc. There's a long list of things in there I'm pretty much a fan of.

Not sure what it's got to do with political correctness (a fairly useless term anyway) - more to do with wowsers, wet blankets, nanny states and people who enjoy poking their noses in where they're not welcome.

The article says "explained his condition" not particularly the dyslexia...I imagine that the hotelier was referrring to the slurred speech and any other signs they took as innebration, given dyslexia can hardly be judged by any physical traits.

Yes but it suggests he come up and explain that when he enters, not when questioned. If the slurring has anything to do with the dyslexia (first I've heard of it) or any other disability then 'explain condition' is akin to 'justify yourself with your disability'.

At the end of the day, we only really have the press's interpretation to argue from, it would be interesting to know the actual facts

Agreed. It's easy to bang a drum and jump up and down from reading a tiny online article but perspectives are hard to see from the other side of a screen.

Generally agree with bum though - it's a pretty small issue in the scheme of things (although denying a man a beer does rub me up the wrong way).

although denying a man a beer does rub me up the wrong way
As it does me.

However, I do believe this to be a civil liberties issue - but it is a very, very small one. A bad-ish mistake was made (not the inital beer denial but the bit where the explanation doesn't seem to have even been considered) but with best intentions, fault has been accepted, a public apology issued and meagre (though probably appropriate) restitution offered. This really is one of those molehill renovation jobbies.

Latest posts

Back