Disconnecting Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6tri6ple6

Reaction score
Hey all,

Should you disconnect a keg when you are not using it? I am currently doing this but i am having trouble when i reconnect the keg back up i have trouble pouring the 2 or 3 pints from that little bit of air that sneaks in when you reconnect.

Other than maybe sanitation reasons is really necessary that the keg is disconnected?

Cheers

Richard

I know some people disconnect them, and turn the gas off etc.

Both my systems I just leave gas on and everything connected all the time. I have done this for several years with no problems (unless I get a leak)

QldKev

Both my systems I just leave gas on and everything connected all the time. I have done this for several years with no problems (unless I get a leak)

QldKev

Yeah i might just try that. I just thought it might be better for sanitation but at those temps its prolly gonna take a while for a infection to take hold. I just dont want to waste anymore beer. :icon_cheers:

Richard

I'd say that the constant removal and returning of the QD would be more likely to cause an infection than prevent one...Unless you spray everything with a norinse when you do it.

I'd say that the constant removal and returning of the QD would be more likely to cause an infection than prevent one...Unless you spray everything with a norinse when you do it.

I agree.

I leave my gas connected to the keg i am currently pouring from. I have two taps on my keezer but i only have one gas line. (hoping to change that soon if i can get around to it...) It's not a hard workaround for me as a keg will still pour a good 4 or 5 pints before it needs a top up IF i am swapping between the taps, but usually i just drink from one tap at a time (and tell mates which tap to use) until i can get a second gas line happening.

I usually turn my gas off at the end of the night unless i forget. I don't need to, i don't have any leaks, it's just something that i do from habit....

QldKev

+1 here also. I do tend to give my posts and QD's a squirt of no rinse when changing over, etc.

(666 - I notice you are an Adelaide Hills lad, good to see! have you signed up to Brew Adelaide site? there is a linky in my sig.)

+1 here also. I do tend to give my posts and QD's a squirt of no rinse when changing over, etc.

(666 - I notice you are an Adelaide Hills lad, good to see! have you signed up to Brew Adelaide site? there is a linky in my sig.)

Yes i have. im just about to put my first order in for grains etc. Thanks for the heads up anywayz.

Everyone seems to be assuming the OP is talking about disconnecting the gas line only.
I read it as disconnecting the beer out line as it mentions a little bit of air sneaking in when reconnecting.
I see no reason for disconnecting the tap, unless it constantly drips. In which case I would repair the tap.
Personally don't disconnect anything in my system as I am 100% certain that I have no leaks either in the gas or beer lines. As was said before there is probably more chance of an infection from the constant disconnect/connect routine although I'd say the chance is slim anyway.
Cheers
Nige

Everyone seems to be assuming the OP is talking about disconnecting the gas line only.
I read it as disconnecting the beer out line as it mentions a little bit of air sneaking in when reconnecting.
I see no reason for disconnecting the tap, unless it constantly drips. In which case I would repair the tap.
Personally don't disconnect anything in my system as I am 100% certain that I have no leaks either in the gas or beer lines. As was said before there is probably more chance of an infection from the constant disconnect/connect routine although I'd say the chance is slim anyway.
Cheers
Nige

My keg system is newly set up, could this be a balancing issue? The only reason i ask is that it is constantly giving a little "pfffft" everytime i open the tap and ive poured about 6+ pints.

Any help would be appreciated. Sorry i'm a bit of a keg noob.....

Back