Dimensions Of Blue 20l Plastic Jerry Cans?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afromaiko

Incredibly Strong Ales
Reaction score
Could some kind soul please measure up one of those blue jerry cans for me? I think they are Willow brand. Also, do they have the two caps so you can let the air in and stop the glugging when pouring?

I bought a regular white one from Aussie Disposals yesterday and unfortunately is about 1cm too tall to fit into the allocated space in my fridge.

Not to mention that Aussie Disposals website prices do not match the ones in store - even when they say the product is available in store only and not purchasable online.

Thanks

Width Approx 170mm

Height Approx 540mm

Depth Approx 340mm

All measurements are approx as is a bit hard to measure exact with the rounded corners without getting some timber or something to hold against the sides

And they come standard with one lid on the top

I dont think thats correct, it would make it a 31L cube~

If it is correct i think i will be making a mark on my cube to ensure i stop at 20L

Thanks for that. The measurements should take into account the handle etc so calculating the volume is going to give an exaggerated amount.

Forgot to ask, I assume they have a bung hole to fit a tap too?

Width Approx 170mm

Height Approx 540mm

Depth Approx 340mm

All measurements are approx as is a bit hard to measure exact with the rounded corners without getting some timber or something to hold against the sides

And they come standard with one lid on the top

As they've been saying down at flemington, "correct weight"! Mine also has a spot for a tap at the bottom so no glugging from me. And yes they do hold more than 20 but I've never bothered to find out exactly - it holds what I want it to hold, which is a kegs worth :icon_cheers:

Darn, looks like these will be too high for my fridge as well. :( I have kegs in the bottom and can't lower the top shelf any more without hitting on disconnects.

If only there were some that were slightly more squat without being a cube, then I could fit two of the suckers in. Otherwise it looks like I'll be using only one cube which isn't the most efficient use of the space.

You can't lie them flat and stack them?

i wouldn't think a handle will yield 10L of deadspace considering the square cubes hold 23L. i wonder where the 20L mark is. I think i'll take my own measurements tonight mark where 20L is. im glad ive yet to use them was i would have been shocked to see 15cm~ of deadspace in the can! Ill post a pic with the marking so everyone knows.

Cheers!

They had or still have these on special at super cheap auto by the way.

If height is an issue, and provided you have enough width, here's a piccie of a willow 20L next to two Woolies 10L homebrand spring water cubes. No way of fitting a tap but they are quite robust.

cubes.JPG

Edit: if you are requiring your cube for no chill the 10L would be perfect because they are more easy to handle and after cooling they are a handy size to pick up and pour wort into fermenter. That's why I'm keeping mine for when I go AG.

i wouldn't think a handle will yield 10L of deadspace considering the square cubes hold 23L. i wonder where the 20L mark is. I think i'll take my own measurements tonight mark where 20L is. im glad ive yet to use them was i would have been shocked to see 15cm~ of deadspace in the can! Ill post a pic with the marking so everyone knows.

Cheers!
The 31L or so would be taken by using the outside measurements, so you lose more space for the handle beacuse it's thinner than the rest of the cube, and has a hole to put your hand through. Plus space to account for the thickness of the plastic, rounded corners, etc. There should be a 20L mark just below the top of the square part (before the handle). Full with no air left I think it's about 24L.

With the willow ones, if you have a look in bribies pic, that flat section just under the handle....when flat, filling to that is exactly 24L. When its tilted so that the lid is horizontal, so you can fill it with almost no airspace, that pushes it to 25L. ;) Once it's cooled, you get 23/24L (depending on where it was filled to) in the fermenter...plenty to account for racking losses, loss of volume to the yeast cake, and a bottle or 3 as well as a keg.

Afro, if you go to bunnings or similar, I think you would probably have no probs finding a squatter cube from a differant brand if thats what you need.

edit: on the willow, the 20L mark goo is talking about is about 23L

Pretty sure there are a couple of different types, the food grade blue ones available from K-Mart are 25L I think. They are stackable, have one cap, a bung and come with a tap for about $18
Sorry they are are at the new house (moving) so can't measure for you.

Pic: Jerrys.JPG

Screwy

If height is an issue, and provided you have enough width, here's a piccie of a willow 20L next to two Woolies 10L homebrand spring water cubes. No way of fitting a tap but they are quite robust.

View attachment 22472

Edit: if you are requiring your cube for no chill the 10L would be perfect because they are more easy to handle and after cooling they are a handy size to pick up and pour wort into fermenter. That's why I'm keeping mine for when I go AG.

I found the woolies 10ltr ones are not so good for hot liquids, tried it once with boiling water.. No good.. :(

Thanks for the heads up, I'll do a test with my 10L stockpot. We have solar hot water so no big power wastage upping it to near boiling.

I bought a regular white one from Aussie Disposals yesterday and unfortunately is about 1cm too tall to fit into the allocated space in my fridge.
Afro do you have access to a heatgun ??
If so, you should be able to don the gardening gloves and carefully 'manipulate' the overall height by 10mm with some application of heat at the tall bits :rolleyes: .

The other factor is the shelf that you have your kegs sitting on. If the compressor hump isn't in the equation you can do what Pistolpatch did and get some ally plate bent up with a small drop like this > |__________|
Good luck with it bloke :)
Doug

Only one cm huh.... the cubes distend a little when you fill em up with hot wort. They get a little fatter round the middle. Maybe just maybe they get a little shorter too as they bulge out. The effect might be enhanced if you filled one with boiling water and then sat a board on top with a bit of weight on it.

Then when it cools down its slightly shorter, slightly fatter and you can use it as a fermentor or CC cube in your fridge.

You only need to gain back one miserable centimeter - could be worth a go

TB

Pretty sure there are a couple of different types, the food grade blue ones available from K-Mart are 25L I think. They are stackable, have one cap, a bung and come with a tap for about $18

Pic: View attachment 22473

Screwy
All this time I thought a blue cube just had a blue lid... I never thought that it might actually... be blue. :huh:

Pic: View attachment 22473

Screwy

I'll have to go check these ones out, they do look more squat than the others.

Edit: I have the same looking crates, so that would make your jerry cans about 40cm high - which is great for me if true.

Ill post a pic with the marking so everyone knows.

Well i may have a different can to the original quoted dimensions.

I dont need pic's to explain, just a crude photoshop (i'll tell you why)

The measurements i had for my willow 'carry can' were: LxWxH 33x14x43 (see measured area)

The dimensions taken were of the cube before the recess to begin the handle. (only measured the complete 'cube' area, any bends/turns/bevels/handle area was not accounted for.

These dimensions gave 19.8L~

i think im happy to fill to this point and give her the old'e squeeze.

Footnote: so 20L = the true 'cube' area on a 20L Willow Carry can.

Cheers :icon_cheers:

Edit: Spllenig. :D

dimensions.JPG

Back