Diluting post fermentation..?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pagey

Reaction score
G'day guys.

My question stems from time constraints as many others do.

I brew 21L batches for 19L kegs. I love it, Dad loves it, my roomies love it, everyone bloody drinks it and I am quite regularly left with dry kegs. I am sure you will all agree that they are so much more awesome when they are heavy.!!

I thought yesterday that maybe I could brew a high gravity beer and do a 40% water 60% fermented beer dilution and fill two kegs instead of just one. I should be able to knock out 23-24L of fermented beer if I push my current system to the limit so the above dilution would be accurate enough.

Has anyone done this with any level of success?
What are the tricks?

Dilute PRE Fermentation, not POST.

If you dilute POST fermentation, you are Oxidising the finished beer, either by adding Oxygenated water, or the process of mixing the two together would Oxygenate the Beer.

Make sure you remove the chlorine/chloramine...

esssee said:
Dilute PRE Fermentation, not POST.

If you dilute POST fermentation, you are Oxidising the finished beer, either by adding Oxygenated water, or the process of mixing the two together would Oxygenate the Beer.
I've never done it post but this sounds sensible. You are also lowering the SG of the wort, which knocks the yeast around less.

What is your bottleneck? Getting another fermenter will open up other possibilities: two beers at once :chug: ; trying two different yeast strains :icon_drool2: :beerbang: ...

Unfortunately Partial Man it is not actually possible for me to dilute any further pre-fermentation due to equipment restrictions.

I had already thought of that and if I boil the water before hand I can sanitise, de-chlorinate with appropriate amounts of Campden Tabs and bring Oxygen levels down as low as possible in the one hit.

If I then add that boiling water to a burped keg and cool in the keg with nothing but CO2 prior to adding the fermented beer I think I can get around the oxidising problem.

The bottle neck is defn gear. I have to ferment in a fridge up here in Darwin. Ambient temps are 34c… Just don't have that many cooling resources unfortunately.

Pagey said:
Unfortunately Partial Man
:blink:

It's esssee, Pagey. "Partial Man", apparently is my Rank. I am definitely a fully fledged man. I think. :unsure:

Seriously, Admins. I reckon I've posted enough on here to progress to another Rank. I take a hit to the self esteem every time I see this on here. Time for a beer. :chug:

esssee said:
It's esssee, Pagey.
Hahaha sorry mate.!!! I'm a noob on here so there ya go, don't even know where to look for a poster's name.!! And mate at least you aren't an 'Amateur Brewer' like me.!!

I'm hearin ya though. Don't want to be introducing oxygen…

Pagey said:
Unfortunately Partial Man it is not actually possible for me to dilute any further pre-fermentation due to equipment restrictions.
Brew a higher OG, drop your efficiency to about 60%, you will need more grain, but you are brewing a double batch. If space is an issue, cube half maybe? One of those little 15L jobs might work.

I've brewed doubles in a 50L pot before using BIAB. It can be done, it does cost more in grain, but I save on the amount of time and gas I use.

Boiled then cooled water should be deoxygenated, rack quietly into a CO2 flushed keg and you should be good.

If you have a keg setup then you can make de-aerated water, preferably from boiled water which you then use for your post-ferment dilution.

If you rack boiling water to CO2 filled keg, bubble with CO2 then let it chill in situ with head pressure, then carbonate, you should be fine to dilute to your heart's content.

I am a fan of doing this when I have only very strong beer available on tap and I desire a cold mid-strength to get through the weekend arvo without being boozed.

ED: What Bribie said.

Yeah no worries. I just wanted to see if anyone had done it before and it's sounding like they have. I will report back on the results.

Back