Dilemma: What to do?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spiesy

Illmatic
Reaction score
So, I have my Dusseldorf Alt fermenting... it's still a couple of points of getting to where I want it to get to (@1014, I want it to hit 1012). I've tried it, and it is a little too sweet, I would like to finish off fermentation and hit 1012, if possible (even though the OG was 1053, target OG was 1050).

Here's the dilemma... this weekend would conclude 14-days of fermentation and then this beer is required to be lagered - BUT, I fly out to Europe for 3-weeks on Saturday.

Do I:

1. Wait until Saturday (last possible day), transfer to a secondary and crash chill for my 3-weeks away - return, keg and lager.
2. Leave it till Saturday, crash chill in primary for 3-weeks away, return, keg and lager.
3. Leave it to ferment whilst away.
4. Stuff it, start crashing now - so I can keg and lager whilst away,

What would you do/recommend?

lol... nice one!

I know, first world problems - right?

But hey, I gotta care for my beer! :D

Speidel,

I would raise the temp to 18-19c for the next few days, rack to secondary on Saturday and cold chill to 2c. Three weeks at that temp would effectively be lagering. Lager as you know means to store cold, 2c is cold, 3weeks is storage. When you get back either leave it for another 2-3weeks, depends what you prefer for a lagering period and then keg.

I have a DA planned for the end of the month, malty and bitter using Munich, Vienna and Caramunich, hopped to 40ibu with a low alpha hop at 60 mins only, was planning to use Wyeast Thames Valley.

Care to share your recipe?

Pretty well as Pratty advises, but lift the temp to 23c & give it a gentle stir.

cheers Ross

Could it be that a slightly higher og is from a above average efficiency and that fg is legit?
If so, add water and carry on as if on schedule.

My 2 cents.

Chuck it into a keg now, go away & don't think about it until you get back - it'll be fine.

Don't worry - have a homebrew (jeez! I should write books about this stuff!). ;)

Failing that, a nice hot bath & a razor blade will do the trick nicely.... :ph34r:

I would go option 2, crash chill to about 2-4deg and keep it there until you get back.

I would however raise temp for the next few days first as advised above.

Cheers,
D80

I am very much with Ross on the higher temp, though I would use the word 'rouse' - as in rotate the fermenter without opening it rather than chucking something down in there.

Green beer could be giving the perception of sweetness or the sweetness/bitterness balance could be off a little. Drop temp now, relax and have a holiday. Cold beer is reasonably safe, wont hurt to leave it on the yeast while you're away.

Screwy

Pratty1 said:
Care to share your recipe?
Certainly - it's pretty much the recipe from 'Brewing Classic Styles'.

21.5l batch. BIAB. NC. 69% mash efficiency. 60min mash @ 65. 90min boil.

62.5% Wey Pils
15.6% Wey Munich I
7.8% Ding Aromatic
4.7% Wey CaraMunich II
1.6% Wey Carafa II
1.6% Wey CaraPils
6.2% JW Ale
OG 1050 FG 1012

80g Hallertauer MF @ 60min for 34.8 IBU
7g Hallertuaer MF @ 10min for 1IBU

German Ale Wyeast 1007 @ 18-degrees for 2-weeks.

Brewing salts, yeast nutrient and BrewBrite added.

**ended up with a mash efficiency of 70.8%.

JotaIgna said:
Could it be that a slightly higher og is from a above average efficiency and that fg is legit?
If so, add water and carry on as if on schedule.

My 2 cents.
Apparent attenuation is presently at 72%. 1007 is rated at 73-77%.

Almost there, I was just hoping to dry it out a little more before halting fermentation.

Spiesy said:
Certainly - it's pretty much the recipe from 'Brewing Classic Styles'.

21.5l batch. BIAB. NC. 69% mash efficiency. 60min mash @ 65. 90min boil.

62.5% Wey Pils
15.6% Wey Munich I
7.8% Ding Aromatic
4.7% Wey CaraMunich II
1.6% Wey Carafa II
1.6% Wey CaraPils
6.2% JW Ale
OG 1050 FG 1012

80g Hallertauer MF @ 60min for 34.8 IBU
7g Hallertuaer MF @ 10min for 1IBU

German Ale Wyeast 1007 @ 18-degrees for 2-weeks.

Brewing salts, yeast nutrient and BrewBrite added.

**ended up with a mash efficiency of 70.8%.
Hmmmmm! 15.7% Cara/Crystal (Dextrinous) malt plus 15.6% Munich Malt. Methinks it could be at terminal gravity.

Screwy

Latest posts

Back