Different wort aeration kits

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MHB said:
Hell you can get electrolytic units that break up water, lots of options, the simplest, cheapest, most reliable and available option is a bottle.

"The oxygen on planes is chemicaly produced." Really, frankly I doubt it having seen plenty of O2 bottles mounted on large aircraft, (the fighters at the air force base near here use liquid oxygen) there might be some emergency temporary O2 supplies that use chemical generators but its far from standard as far as I know.
Mark
The oxygen masks that drop down from the roof in an emergency do still have a small yellow gas canister but that canister is activated by a chemical reaction within it to produce oxygen when activated.

wynnum1 said:
The oxygen is given off could be collected in a bag.
The oxygen on planes is chemicaly produced.
What kind of a bag? How do you know you only have pure oxygen (a very reactive element)?
How do you get it from bag to wort?

Plastic food grade bag secure bag in the bottom of a drum with a hose attached and fill the drum with water to push the oxygen out of the bag.

Paraphrased

Try it.
Sounds like you think you know what you're doing.

Well, he only needs 1 litre of O2.
Sounds like a great idea. Keen to hear how it goes!
Could you please post pics of your attempts? I'm curious to see this bag collection in a drum setup. I assume you've got something in mind to stop the bag of O2 from simply floating above the water? Why not just squeeze the bag, out of interest?

Back to more important things though:
What happening with the elephants' toothpaste?!

I blame this thread! Last night everything ready to pitch, get out the O2 kit, and nothin, bloody thing leaked! So a bloody good shake or four with the split in the fermenter, rest will go in on Krausen. I don't mind double dropping but O2 is way easier and quicker.

GalBrew said:
The last time I used 1469 (with starter) I oxygenated for 1 min at 1L/min. Tasted great, all of those yeast esters were there in abundance. I wouldn't go any further with the oxygen than that.
I will try 60 instead of 90 secs at 1L/min for my next Bitter. 90 secs has been woking well for me using Wy 1056 and Saisons 3724/3711 when I'm aiming for a dry finish.

MHB said:
"The oxygen on planes is chemicaly produced." Really, frankly I doubt it having seen plenty of O2 bottles mounted on large aircraft, (the fighters at the air force base near here use liquid oxygen) there might be some emergency temporary O2 supplies that use chemical generators but its far from standard as far as I know.
Mark
The medical oxygen bottles on aeroplanes is exactly that - bottled oxygen. The drop down masks on aeroplanes, Boeings anyway - I can't speak for others, use chemically created oxygen. The PBEs (fire fighting hood) has an oxygen generator on the back of it, which chemically creates oxygen.

The normal air you breathe on aeroplanes is just air from outside the aeroplane.

GalBrew said:
The last time I used 1469 (with starter) I oxygenated for 1 min at 1L/min. Tasted great, all of those yeast esters were there in abundance. I wouldn't go any further with the oxygen than that.
Out of interest, as I don't have a flow meter on my oxygen bottle, what does 1L/min look like on the surface of your wort? I turn the oxygen on enough that it is just breaking the surface with bubbles. Would this be close to what your flow rate gives?

danestead said:
Out of interest, as I don't have a flow meter on my oxygen bottle, what does 1L/min look like on the surface of your wort? I turn the oxygen on enough that it is just breaking the surface with bubbles. Would this be close to what your flow rate gives?
That's pretty close to what it looks like. It's definitely not like a rolling boil or anything that extreme. I should take a video of it next time i brew.

Time of Useful Consciousness

This is the time available to an aircrew member to recognize they are suffering from hypoxia and to take appropriate action (put on an oxygen mask and/or descend the aircraft below 10,000 feet).

The Time of Useful Consciousness is a function of altitude. At 20,000 feet, an average individual will have 5 to 12 minutes. At 25,000 feet, this time is reduced to 3 to 5 minutes. At 30,000 feet only 1 to 2 minutes are available. By 40,000 feet, the average individual will have only 9 to 15 seconds (basically this represents the oxygen that was in their system before the exposure to 40,000 feet).

timmi9191 said:
Time of Useful Consciousness

This is the time available to an aircrew member to recognize they are suffering from hypoxia and to take appropriate action (put on an oxygen mask and/or descend the aircraft below 10,000 feet).

The Time of Useful Consciousness is a function of altitude. At 20,000 feet, an average individual will have 5 to 12 minutes. At 25,000 feet, this time is reduced to 3 to 5 minutes. At 30,000 feet only 1 to 2 minutes are available. By 40,000 feet, the average individual will have only 9 to 15 seconds (basically this represents the oxygen that was in their system before the exposure to 40,000 feet).

If you were breathing air at the density of the outside air, you would be absolutely correct; however, the air inside an aeroplane goes through a few processes first.

The reason you don't suffocate due to lack of density of the air is because aeroplanes are pressurised. Air is pumped into the aeroplane until a determined pressure is reached, and then air is allowed to escape the aeroplane at a controlled rate to maintain that pressure.

So basically, the air you breathe in an aeroplane is air from outside that has been pumped into the aeroplane quicker than it has been allowed to escape. It is also filtered and has the temperature controlled.

The air inside an aeroplane is not bottled oxygen, not chemically created oxygen, it is outside air.

danestead said:

The normal air you breathe on aeroplanes is just air from outside the aeroplane.

danestead said:
If you were breathing air at the density of the outside air, you would be absolutely correct; however, the air inside an aeroplane goes through a few processes first.
So its not just air from the outside..

timmi9191 said:
So its not just air from the outside..
The basis of the initial discussion was comparing bottled oxygen, chemically created oxygen and air. In that broad sense, the air you breathe on an aeroplane is air. If you want to disagree and say that "air from outside the aeroplane" is different to the "air from outside the aeroplane" put through a filter, temperature controller and squeezed into an aeroplane, you are welcome. I however, think that that air is generally the same, aside from temperature and density; something not relevant to aerating wort.

danestead said:
Ok, prove me wrong.
Maybe you're talking about different scenarios. Both could be right given the level of detail here. But argue more specifically and I think you both will find agreement quick enough.

I learnt from my pilot mate that they pressurise the cabin to the equivalent of about 6000ft . No O2 is added. New airliners are aiming to bring the pressure up higher for better comfort / less dehydration .

Latest posts

Back