diacetyl? sweetness? kegging issue?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
manticle said:
May be an obvious question but are you tasting the beer before chilling? If diacetyl or acetaldehyde are noticeably present, it's a good indication that chilling should wait.
Have 3 fermenters full of apa at the moment. 2 at final gravity, one about 1018.
Tasted the first in line yesterday (hoping to keg tomorrow). Diacetyl definitely present. One more day at ferment temps and today there is none so gelatine and fridge time.
Always taste your beer before you chill or package.

I'm having a similar problem (sometimes). Some of my beers have a taste that I've previously described on here as pea and ham soup. Some strong some not so strong. My prob might also be fermenter based though. Have had some taste off when I keg. Some taste fine when I keg and taste off after carbing.

Anyway. I've got a mangrove jacks lager in the keg that was on the verge of getting tipped but decided to put the last of my packet of Galaxy in there (30-40g). A mate of mine came round with stone and wood pale ale which is made with Galaxy and I thought, **** it, what have I got to lose. It has transformed it into a bloody beautiful drop.

Back