Design of 150L Brew stand and Plumbing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I borrowed my mates welder again last night and made the changes. Again, she's not super pretty, but at least it's now safe when I tip. I'm sure it's going to look a whole lot better once there is some shiny stainless in and on there. :D
20140710_200426_zps56237f2a.jpg

Good job . My coffee roaster is designed the same way( I ripped the idea off the net). My mash was going to have a 1 1/2 ball valve on a central drain, but I think I may just go pivot and tip.

Actually forgot to mention, regarding the tubes from pump 2 back into the kettle.

If they are below the liquid level at any time and expect to drain somewhere around the pump you should have a few inches above the top of the kettle venting to air, just with a tube plug/cap. Any time you drain around pump 2, you should open this up so that you don't siphon the wort back out from the drain.

Donske, they are the high pressure regs that came with the burners from Keg Kind. It doesn't look like they are selling them anymore? Wonder Why?

I'll have to have a look at that Adrian, thanks.

Pots all welded up, it was a tough job for my mate and there was a little buckling from the heat, but I'm happy. Not a great pic as I am in a rush, but you get the idea.
20140712_164359_zpse55c6984.jpg

5150 said:
Donske, they are the high pressure regs that came with the burners from Keg Kind. It doesn't look like they are selling them anymore? Wonder Why?

Pots all welded up, it was a tough job for my mate and there was a little buckling from the heat, but I'm happy. Not a great pic as I am in a rush, but you get the idea.
20140712_164359_zpse55c6984.jpg
They 1.5" tri-clovers? Your pots are huge..

-gav

5150 said:

[/img]
I reckon I could guess mate, I've got a keg king reg running a burner which I bought elsewhere, being assured that reg would work with my 3 ring burner was their third strike.

If they are the same "high pressure" regs that I have you'll be replacing them pretty quickly mate. I'm looking for one with a bit more oomph and I'm only doing double batches.

Edit: yep, after zooming in a bit closer they are the same reg.

Hey Gav, they are 1/2" with a 50.5 mm ferrule. I have a feeling that going down the path of 1/2" plumbing is going to be a major regret in the future.

Donske, I don't like that news, but thanks for letting me know. If they struggled with a double batch for you, I don't think they will be much use to me. Bugger!!

5150 said:
Donske, I don't like that news, but thanks for letting me know. If they struggled with a double batch for you, I don't think they will be much use to me. Bugger!!
They are acceptable for double batches, and would probably get a gentle boil on triples, i can't see them having a high enough output for much more than that though.

I'm running one flat out to bring about 60L pre boil volume to the rigorous boil I like. I'm looking to upgrade so that if/when I up my output in future I will only have to worry about vessels.

Fun fact, keg king claim an out put of 4.5kg/hour. Its more like 3.

5150 said:
Hey Gav, they are 1/2" with a 50.5 mm ferrule. I have a feeling that going down the path of 1/2" plumbing is going to be a major regret in the future.
Why do you think its going to be a problem?

Crouch said:
Why do you think its going to be a problem?
Hey Crouch, I just think that transfers are going to be quite slow adding to the brew day, but this is pure speculation. Not a real issue,I couldn't have afforded to have gone larger plumbing anyway. I just can't wait to get a brew on. :chug:

You'll be fine with 1/2" plumbing. I've got 1/2" stainless plumbing on my rig and had no issues. You can only sparge so fast before getting stuck.

Latest posts

Back