Debate: How Convenient Is A Counter Pressure Bottle Filler?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the morebeer type and havnt had the best results but that is due to my lazyness and poor understanding of how to use it. I have recently made a stand similar to the Tidalpete/Bribie model and will be giving it a crack at the end of one of the kegs. I am also gathering the bits and peices to be able to put it into a snaplock adapter which means it will hang were the tap normally is whilst I bottle from the keg. When I am done the tap snaps back in.

Brad

I'm setting one up ATM Pat, the keg king type. So often we get invited somewhere with little notice and I end up buying a six pack to take along...madness !
I've seen the other type and there's no way I could be bothered with that sh#t.

I intend to have the unit an absolute snap to set up and use, it's going to be that too ! Pictures will follow in a week or so.

Batz

Pat this is what I knocked up today while brewing.

1.jpg

I made a stand for the CFBF rather than trying to mount it on a font, the idea stolen fron ThirstyBoy.

2.jpg

The lines are all new today so they want to roll up and misbehave, the larger one is beer in and will just snap into my font. The other two, one is C02 in and the other purge gas out.

3.jpg

Just remove a tap and connect the CFBF. I now have a 'T' after the regulator for the gas in.

4.jpg

Bottle fits in like this and it really is a snap to use. I've seen the other type and they are not for me.
I gave it a try today and was happy with the result, what I need is a few bottles so I can fill a dozen or so to see how it performs.

It's all a bit rough ATM but I'll perfect it as I go.

Batz

Batz I see the gas-in line is just a blank at the moment, where does the gas originate from?

Batz I see the gas-in line is just a blank at the moment, where does the gas originate from?

I have a 'T' between my keg freezer gas and regulator, this is where I connect the C02. Photos were taken on the pool table for clarity only, if using it I would have it set it up on the bar. Oh I have a JG type fitting on the line so I just snap it together.

Batz

I have the morebeer type and havnt had the best results but that is due to my lazyness and poor understanding of how to use it. I have recently made a stand similar to the Tidalpete/Bribie model and will be giving it a crack at the end of one of the kegs. I am also gathering the bits and peices to be able to put it into a snaplock adapter which means it will hang were the tap normally is whilst I bottle from the keg. When I am done the tap snaps back in.

Brad

Brad,
I was going to ask you for help with spraying beer all over the ceiling, ahem, using a CPBF to bottle a beer for AABC but due to laziness and getting on the whallop it looks like I'll have to go with a bottle conditioned jobby <_<

That looks good Batz, could we see it in action at the Xmas PU?

Its not really hard to Turn One Way for Gas...... purge,,,,,, Turn the Other Way for Beer ......fill,,,,,, put a lid on.

Expecting CPBF`S would first know how to carb a keg.

Brad,
I was going to ask you for help with spraying beer all over the ceiling, ahem, using a CPBF to bottle a beer for AABC but due to laziness and getting on the whallop it looks like I'll have to go with a bottle conditioned jobby <_<

That looks good Batz, could we see it in action at the Xmas PU?

Winkle, I can give you a lesson in not only applying beer to the ceiling but also how to use a squeegy mop to mop the ceiling, walls, cupboards to remove beer before SWMBO finds out.
After my QABC results my CPBF beers came back as flat and low carbed etc. The two beers that got through were bottle conditioned. I think we need to go to Bribies for a CPBF lesson.

Cheers

Its not really hard to Turn One Way for Gas...... purge,,,,,, Turn the Other Way for Beer ......fill,,,,,, put a lid on.

Expecting CPBF`S would first know how to carb a keg.

Haysie , What pressure are you bottling at?

Cheers

Whoops! Lost track of this thread somehow and haven't read the last replies until now. You guys are all so keen I might even get one myself :).

Batz, I love the look of yours :beerbang:. I see ThirstyBoy started a thread on that filler here. Looks fun :). Might phone beer you for a full report once you have got a few more bottles up your sleeve. Bit worried that it doesn't pull apart to clean though - make sure you don't put any wheat beer through it :eek:.

Haven't bought a brewing gadget in ages. Must be time.

Thanks again blokes!
Pat

Bit worried that it doesn't pull apart to clean though

Thanks again blokes!
Pat

OK Pat,
I just took it to the sink, kitchen tap on and CFBC on and flushed it out.
Now Pat you old brewer you, you know very well if this fuc&er didn't work I wouldn't bother with it. It still has to have a full on test, until now it sets up easily and worked once without drama. I need to bottle a six pack and check how long they keep their carbonation.

Batz

You de man Batz! You know I will trust your verdict. If I do get one and yours breaks down you can borrow mine as you know it will be totally wheat-free :beerbang:

Spot ya mate,
Pat

Batz, have you tackled your plastic hatred, or did you find a suitable adapter for glass?

Florian

Batz, have you tackled your plastic hatred, or did you find a suitable adapter for glass?

Florian

Plastic ATM, I think I have nutted out an adaptor to fill swing top bottles. I just need to hop on a lathe and mill for a couple of hours.

Batz

sounds good. Sent a question of last night to one of the ebay sellers (who sells the same model as you have) as they claim it works with some glass bottles. Got the following reply:

Hi Florian,

Which item were you referring to? Its not coming up...is it the counter pressure bottle filler?

This is meant for PET plastic bottles....can't guarantee that they work for glass bottles ...it works for the brown glass bottles with the screw top.

Thanks for asking!

Regards,
Naomi
CNC & Cupcake World
- silvers-123

I'd be happy if I could fill anything that needs a bottle capper, doesn't have to be swing top.

Has anyone tried it with the 'brown glass bottles with the screw top'?

"How Convenient Is A Counter Pressure Bottle Filler?" -- Very.

I've got one of the shiny Craftbrewer ones, and aside from a few niggly little hook-up issues (lines and clamps not fitting on barbs) I'm loving it.

I've bottled a few beers that are typically foamy when using from-the-tap filling methods and had great results. My ginger beer was pouring mostly head for a while, but the CPBF took care of it.

I've even pushed the limits a bit and bottled some sparkling red that I've got kegged and gassed up - while a champagne bottle was used due to the higher pressures, the release valve on the CPBF doesn't seem to last past 200kpa.

As for cleaning - I keep a keg of weak starsan mix gassed up next to the fridge, so cleaning lines is as simple as using a QD.

I looking at a DIY type option here, but I have no idea where to source a rubber bung for glass bottles from?? Can I get them at Bunnings? What size would I need?

I looking at a DIY type option here, but I have no idea where to source a rubber bung for glass bottles from?? Can I get them at Bunnings? What size would I need?

Clark Rubber if they have stores in WA? Depending on which bungs the store stocks you might have to drill the hole yourself. Too easy!
My LHBS stocks a small range but I've never had a close look.
Forget what size I used. Just take a bottle with you when you go.

TP

sounds good. Sent a question of last night to one of the ebay sellers (who sells the same model as you have) as they claim it works with some glass bottles. Got the following reply:

Hi Florian,

Which item were you referring to? Its not coming up...is it the counter pressure bottle filler?

This is meant for PET plastic bottles....can't guarantee that they work for glass bottles ...it works for the brown glass bottles with the screw top.

Thanks for asking!

Regards,
Naomi
CNC & Cupcake World
- silvers-123

I'd be happy if I could fill anything that needs a bottle capper, doesn't have to be swing top.

Has anyone tried it with the 'brown glass bottles with the screw top'?

I've tried it with Bundaberg Ginger beer screw top bottles... nearly but not quite. Grolsch swing tops will need a pretty drastic adapter as they dont fit in the mechanism at all - champagne bottles can be gently forced in there if you find ones with a "slim" neck, but when I tried it I was scared I was going to break the unit and they were still too short to fill.

I'm 100% sure there will be glass bottles out there that will fit - and I have definitely mentally worked out an adapter to fill regular beer bottles without altering the units usability... just havent' gotten around to building one yet. Basically the only reason beer bottles dont fit... is because the top part of them is too narrow and too short, so all that is needed is a spacer to slip into the filler to make the bit of it that grabs the bottle narrower and thicker. A bit of chopping board a hacksaw and a dremmel would do the trick nicely.

TB

Just read with interest the entire thread.

I bought one the same a few months ago. I fiddled round trying to get it to work on glass stubbies - no luck at all.
I bought some PET bottles and never looked back. The thing is brilliant.
I bottled some cider 5 weeks ago that is still properly carbonated.
I too have thought about how to manufacture a fitting to adapt for glass stubbies, so am interested to hear how any of your home made adaptors go.

Swampy

Latest posts

Back