Debate: How Convenient Is A Counter Pressure Bottle Filler?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have made a prototype spacer for the filler - I want something that goes into the filler once and you don't need to change the process apart from that. It didn't quite work... but nearly enough so that I can make it with a bit of kludging and some Knead It. Once I have it right I can measure and make a "proper" one on a lathe.

In the meantime - this seems to do the trick. I didn't try to fill anything... but it holds a glass bottle & pushes it hard up against the seal. So I see no reason why it wouldn't work. It also has the advantage of being insanely easy to do.

Thusly it works -

A 500ml Euro Bottle failing completely to be held properly in the filler

IMG_1148.jpg

A Fibrous Washer with one side snipped - sorry, don't know the size.

IMG_1149.jpg

The "Adapter" placed around the neck of the bottle surclip style.

IMG_1150.jpg

And the adapted bottle fitting in the filler and pressing up up against the seal nicely.

IMG_1151.jpg

The washer once its expanded out a tiny bit is the same size as a little inset in the filler housing, so once pressure is applied, it holds the washer in place and stops it spreading and letting the bottle push through. Simple and easy, seems effective. But having to clip the washer onto every bottle takes away from the convenience factor of this particular filler... so I'm not happy with this style of solution.

I'll get back when I have a better once worked out.

TB

Already looks the good, Thirsty, but I get your point about convenience. Have you actually filled a bottle this way yet? Does the bottle stay in place?

Seems like you need to attach some kind of padding/adapter directly to the CPBF which stays in place by itself and let's you slide the bottle into place to make it work as a permanent solution. But then you obviously still want to be able to convert it for PETs again.

Am very keen to see your progress, if you figure something out this CPBF will go straight onto my shopping list.

Florian

I have made the decision to buy a cpbf, I should get it tomorrow by fastways of craftys,I ended up going the more beer filler after heaps of reading I think its prob the better for what I want it for.

I want to go in comps next year,and I want to do glass as well if I need too,There was allot of reading on the blichman beer gun when it worked but I think the long term storage may suffer after some use, I will put up results as I need to practice a bit before the X mas swap so I will let you no how I go.

savy

I like the ebay CPBF's and the missus actually suggest one for Xmas last night :eek:

Just wondering how far you've gotten with the adaptor Thirsty? I thought i saw a thread before with much more detail about an adaptor for glass bottles. I'd be interested in buying one.

On the other hand, how good are the pet bottles for long term storage?
I'm a little worried as i'd probably use the cpf for cider a lot more than i would for beer, and i'd want to store it long term, from year to year.

This is the other thread you're thinking of with a neat solution for glass bottles.

Linky

Much appreciatted thanks. This place is so vast and most of the info so new to me. :icon_cheers:

Here is the latest way to fill glass bottles from the PET CPBF. Basically a more sturdy version of the last by using a washer.

LINK

I'm interested to hear form anyone who has had a CPBF for more than a year, and if they are still using it and how often.

I've been thinking for a while to get one, just worried it will be another item in the to use bucket.

QldKev

I'm interested to hear form anyone who has had a CPBF for more than a year, and if they are still using it and how often.

I've been thinking for a while to get one, just worried it will be another item in the to use bucket.

QldKev
I've had mine for a couple of months and is still sitting in the box.

QldKev
Absolutely love my CPBF... too easy to use. Got the PET one and will get the adaptor sorted for the glass shortly. Use it all the time. Makes it alot easier and mess free to run-off a couple of bottles for friends, club meetings, comps or even just taking the last few litres out of a keg to free it up for the next batch.

I have mine mounted on the keg fridge, so it's always accessible. I just use 1 bottle to clear the line then another bottle to fully fill. Pretty much hands free and takes about 20 seconds to fill a 750 with virtually no foaming.

Latest posts

Back