Dark Saison

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukec

Reaction score
Can anyone see any issues if I have a crack at making a Dark saison,
Recipe as follows

2.5kg Vienna
1.5kg Pilsner
500g midnight wheat

Haven't decided on hops yet but will be using The yeastbay saison Brett, blend wlp4626.
Any help/ideas appreciated

lukec said:
Can anyone see any issues if I have a crack at making a Dark saison,
Recipe as follows

2.5kg Vienna
1.5kg Pilsner
500g midnight wheat

Haven't decided on hops yet but will be using The yeastbay saison Brett, blend wlp4626.
Any help/ideas appreciated

I have a keg of black Saison waiting for a keg spot to open up, stole the idea from Winkle after sampling his Saison Noir a few months back, pretty much just pitched Belle Saison into a dry stout wort, it's needed a little aging to let the roast mellow a bit but should be quite tasty when it gets put on tap some time over the next month.

A black ipa, wow im trying that next

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
What next, a Black IPA?

Oh.....

:p

Did you need that much midnight wheat in the grist? I would have thought that 100-200g would have been more than adequate.

Just make sure the midnight wheat gets crushed.... it's so much damn smaller than the MO I normally use that it slipped right through the mill gap the first time I used it!

+1 to the amount of midnight wheat... treat as RB and maybe add it in at the end of mash or during sparge?

With my use of roasted grains in stouts - I steeped it separately from the base malt.

A few reasons for it, based mainly on reading up:

1. I adjusted the mash water profile on the base and didn't want it affected by the roasted grains;
2. I've read that it gives a less 'harsh' aspect to the roast; and
3. I did a double batch on my system with another high grav beer, and so split the base between two separate steeped grain grists.

It works.

Hope that it has enough relevance to what you're trying to achieve.

My first experience with saison brewing was a dry stout with belle saison. God damn delicious!

One of the brew club guys did a porter with wyeast 3726. Jesus it was a great beer. Garnet in colour, deep stone fruit character which went well with the mild roastyness of the porter. **** it was good

I brewed a black saison last summer with 250g of midnight wheat (22L batch). Came out very very dark brown as opposed to black. Lovely scarlet highlights when held to the light though.

One of the tastiest beers I have ever had was 13 hours on a bus dark india saison from Bridge Rd.

Was absolutely amazing.

Must try something similar.

Ro55co once gave me a bottle of 8.1% ABV Black Saison that he called "Vadermeister" based on a stout recipe . I was dubious at first (being a bit of a purist), but it was absolutely superb & after I'd finished it, I felt like conquering the Galaxy....go figure... :D

Latest posts

Back