dampfbier - any tips

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Osangar

Reaction score
Hi there,

i did a search on this forum, and the wider internet for dampfbier, but it is a mixed result.

has anyone brewed this beer and would you share your findings.

i have a 3068 slurry, and thought - what can i do differently with this little bit of happiness, and dampfbier was a suggestion from a mate. so, ill give it a go.

i was thinking
1.052 OG
80% pale male
20% Munich 2
30g hallertauer @ 60 mins
200g 3068 slurry (in a 500ml starter)

any help would be much appreciated

I know Les (Weizguy) made a cracker a few years ago, Haven't seen much of him lately, try and PM him.
Ill send him a text see if he is interested.
Mark

My only knowledge of it is to avoid crystals and run warm.

Seems like you have a good recipe there and I reckon it will come out good. My old man is from the Czech Republic and drank many a dampfbier in his youth. I have not personally drank any, but from the description it will be a ripping summer beer.

Keep us updated how you go!

as an update; went with my recipe as listed, and it has been in the fermentor since Friday. today I gave it a taste from the fermentor (current reading is 1.020) and it is fantastic, if the flavour keeps on track, dam, I'm going to start to question why I was not making dampfbier before.

I've been further experimenting with dampfbier. and to be honest, I'm in love with this style. all the grain flavour of an IPA/Goldern ale/ESB/..etc but with the weirdness of the german wheat yeasts.

I've completed a few variations - my guide is to keep to a 'grain forward' style, IBU less than 15, and ABV less than 5.

to date, I've not had a failure (that said, only 5 made so far) but my impressions are that this is a terrific beer to make.

Latest posts

Back