Damn Newbie Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darryl

Reaction score
So here is my problem:

This is my first time kegging a beer. I first off tried to carbonate using the pouring presure over the week routine. I got thirsty and there for tried the ROSS method. It worked out pretty poorly for me. The taste was alright but so much foam. I figured I over carbed it, but read more and realized that my beer line was really way too short. I got more line and got rid of the whole foaming problem but now the beer which is a little creatures pale ale clone has a stronge alcohol taste. So yes that is the question "what have I done wrong and what can I do to fix it".

Thanks from a newbie
darryl

Well done on solving your overcarbonation and short line problem. These can be common problems with new keggers.

Your excessive alcohol flavour is more than likely due to the actual brew rather than the kegging process. Excess simple sugars and high fermentation temperatures are usually the culprits. You may want to post the recipe, yeast used and fermentation temperatures.

Many of the cornelius kegs that come into the country still have syrup left in them. This needs to be thoroughly cleaned out and the seals need replacing. Otherwise the beer will taste of syrup, usually lemon, cola or lemonade. Is it possibly residual syrup you are tasting rather than alcohol?

It was a kit from brewcraft.
Yeast: Saf Ale US-05
Ingredients: Black Rock Pilsner Blonde, Brewcraft Brewblend No. 15, Wheat Dry Malt 150g
Extra Hops Cascade 15g, Willamette 15g

It fermented for about 10 days with a temp of about 18 - 19 the whole time. The first pour I did tasted really good quite like little creatures, but with way too much foam. I thought I over carbed it so I vented it off a bunch of times and that is about the time it started to have a stronger alcohol taste. I then read more and changed the line to one a lot longer. As I said that got rid of the foam, but it still has a strong alcohol taste that it didn't have at the start. Don't get me wrong it is still drinkable, but it just seemed to have a better taste at the start.

Strange. Your recipe and method look fine. Usually, correct carbonation helps with the flavour balance of a beer. But shouldn't have any effect on the perception of alcohol.

Latest posts

Back