Current Melbourne Co2 Options

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucas

Nanobrewer
Reaction score
I know there are multiple thread of this vein but I'm after current information on the options available to us Melbourne folk in respect to CO2.

my air liquide bottle is truly empty as of today after an unfortunate gas leak a few months back (at which time i thought it was empty according to the gauges, how wrong was i!). the contract I'm on ends in february and since I have no intention of renewing it at $130 (or whatever they're now asking) I dont think it's worth getting this bottle swapped.

I'm looking at getting an mykegonlegs cylinder for GNG (6.8kg for ~$350 including gas) , but thought I should check and see if anyone knew of a better deal... for example someone selling converted extinguishers...

thanks guys

lucas

I'm in the same boat, looking for a cheaper option.

I'm interested in this too - my renewal notice came on Friday - at least they're offering 25% discount for the first year, a total of ~$98. I'm considering going with this for another 12 months until I can find a cheaper option, unless there's something that pops up here.

I went over to supagas and got a 22KG bottle for $130/year, and $45 per fill... delivered for free.

Andy

Wow Andy,
That is an Awesome deal, for my usage... it's not even going to cost me much more that the old G&G deal. 22kg must be a huge bottle right?
Thanks,
Chris

Wow Andy,
That is an Awesome deal, for my usage... it's not even going to cost me much more that the old G&G deal. 22kg must be a huge bottle right?
Thanks,
Chris

If you don't mind the tall bottle you can get a great deal from Narre Warren brew shop in Melbourne eastern suburbs for $18ish a year with them .

Can anyone tell me approx how much gas it takes to carb up a 19L keg ? Does any one use the soda stream bottles and how many kegs could I expect to get out of one of the small ones (40)?

For practicality reasons, 22kg is far to big. My (?)9L bottle is already difficult to manage the movement it requires! I'll have to look into whether Supagas has a smaller option.

Voota - the 22kg bottle is pretty huge - if you've seen tall, slim bottles on the back of trucks, that's the size. Should see me through the year, even with all the CO2 pushing I do in my brewing process.

Nick, Supagas do do smaller bottles - give them a call.

I'm going to be running a gas line under the house so that I can keep the cylinder in the front garage where it's nice and accessible. Also means I've got a CO2 supply in the brewhouse.

Andy

I still only pay about $17 a year for my 9kg bottle. Haven't heard from air liquide yet.
I also have a 4.5kg bottle which I own outright. Can I fill/exchange this bottle and where?
TY
arthur

edit:
The place which I currently use only fills/exchanges rented bottles.

I still only pay about $17 a year for my 9kg bottle. Haven't heard from air liquide yet.
You certainly will when your rental fee is due.
I got mine last month and promptly went to G&G to return it and go the kegonlegs option.

I returned my Air Liquide bottle to a plumbing supplies place in Balwyn last week and currently don't have a CO2 bottle. I'll be getting a mykegonlegs bottle for around $300 and never pay rental again.

Andy - I called Supagas and the rental agreement on a 9kg bottle is $10/month, so no cheaper than the Air Liquide option :( Better to own my own anyway. I was meant to get one from G&G on Thursday, but couldn't get over there - will hopefully pick one up this week.

Whilst I'm at it, I think I'll get a new 300L or so chest freezer and build a proper keggerator. I can then sell one fridge and use the other as a lagering fridge. Then I'll add a few taps instead of using pluto guns/party taps to pour my beers! There goes the Christmas budget, all on me! :D

I returned my Air Liquide bottle to a plumbing supplies place in Balwyn last week and currently don't have a CO2 bottle. I'll be getting a mykegonlegs bottle for around $300 and never pay rental again.

Andy - I called Supagas and the rental agreement on a 9kg bottle is $10/month, so no cheaper than the Air Liquide option :( Better to own my own anyway. I was meant to get one from G&G on Thursday, but couldn't get over there - will hopefully pick one up this week.

Whilst I'm at it, I think I'll get a new 300L or so chest freezer and build a proper keggerator. I can then sell one fridge and use the other as a lagering fridge. Then I'll add a few taps instead of using pluto guns/party taps to pour my beers! There goes the Christmas budget, all on me! :D

Yep - agreed it's the same cost, except that I'm getting a 22Kg bottle for that cost.

When I ran the numbers, including outright cost of the 6KG bottle, fill cost for 6Kg, re-Testing cost after 10 years, against hire of the 22Kg and cost of refilling it, here's what I got...
[codebox]
Year KoL Supagas
=======================
1 410 142.5
2 520 285
3 630 427.5
4 740 570
5 850 712.5
6 960 855
7 1070 997.5
8 1180 1140
9 1290 1282.5
10 1400 1425
11 1510 1567.5
12 1620 1710
13 1730 1852.5
14 1840 1995
15 1950 2137.5
[/codebox]

So after 10 years, a KoL solution starts to pull away in front, as long as that bottle never needs to be replaced...

I may have screwed up the calcs, but it looked sound to me.

Andy

I ran the same calcs and got roughly the same result for BOC Gas.

I figure I can drop off and pick up a new cyclinder already full each time so why bother with owning it.

BOG

Yep, and the big plus for Supagas for me was free delivery...

was asking dave @ greensborough the other day and he reckons (im 80% sure this is what he said) the stupidly big bottles are cheap. $22 rent all year and only $10 extra to fill than a samll one, good luck getting it into car tho.

Call him 9432 0283.

what do you mena by stupidly big bottles Fents? siz wise? I have a big ass 4x4 and can get just about anything in it. Im going to have to get a gas option for my soon to be keg setup

I plan on keeping my own "new" bottle for 10 years with refills, then when it needs a retest, either pay the testing fee or use the "swap'n'go" option to get a current bottle.

22kg is impractical for me - I wish it wasn't.

Latest posts

Back