Getting into Kegging

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
laxation said:
Can it be your birthday/christmas present? :ph34r:
Mini keg bulk buy, wife was pleased she didn't need to go shopping.

Got the Minikeg for my birthday and that was a reluctant agreement from her part. Unfortunately she just cannot see the benefits of kegs. I don't know why.

If I had a shed, I could hide a fridge away in there but unfortunately I am shedless currently.

I have yet to work out how I'm going to explain all the kegging stuff turning up :) hahahaha. Just slip it into everyday use :)

I'm actually hoping she gets sick of the minikeg being in the main fridge, that will be a good excuse to get another fridge. Just trying to work out solutions until the day I can get one, so I don't have to bottle! Was always happy bottling until the minikeg turned up. hahahaha

Nullnvoid said:
And look into the non return valve!
Don't panic if it doesn't have one. John Guest make a push fit check valve that you can place inline in your gas supply. Any liquid going the wrong way will back seat the check valve.

grott said:
I may have a cunning plan, what size mini keg did you get and how many or just the one?
5 litre minikeg, and just the one.

Talk to me Grott, what is this cunning plan :)

Pnutapper said:
Don't panic if it doesn't have one. John Guest make a push fit check valve that you can place inline in your gas supply. Any liquid going the wrong way will back seat the check valve.
Awesome, will look into this too!

Nullnvoid I'm happy to donate a minikeg to you for the cost of postage only. I bought too many and never use them.

ed: with a carbonation cap, or a normal cap

You need to start out small so a second hand bar fridge is the go, generally not expensive anyway " given to you by...". To help with the room issue remember a bar fridge doesn't have to go on the floor, can sit on top of something or something can sit on it.
You have a 19l keg which you can use as s feeder keg ( discussed above). Make you brews 24 litre so you get the 19 l plus your 5l.
Then as I started out get a 9.5l used keg ( need to search but you can get them). You can initially fill from your 19l leaving basically 2 x 5l refills. Your aim is to get 2 x 9.5 as this plus your 5l will get you another fermented brew. So this would mean you'd have a full 19l + a 5l and 2 x 9.5l + a 5l cause you have drank the one with 19l brew. Both 9.5 kegs will fit in the bar fridge so they can be chilled and carbonated from your gas bottle. ( this will then leave you with the 19l and 5l set up again). At first with the 9.5 kegs being attached to the gas bottle pour from your mini keg tap or a party line until you mount a tap in the door.
Hope this make sense.

Well done mtb. Nullnvoid, you will now have two mini kegs so will fit with the 2 x 9.5l kegs set up when you get them.

mtb said:
Nullnvoid I'm happy to donate a minikeg to you for the cost of postage only. I bought too many and never use them.

ed: with a carbonation cap, or a normal cap
Shit man, you sure? It would be loved and appreciated, but only if you have an excess!

grott said:
You need to start out small so a second hand bar fridge is the go, generally not expensive anyway " given to you by...". To help with the room issue remember a bar fridge doesn't have to go on the floor, can sit on top of something or something can sit on it.
You have a 19l keg which you can use as s feeder keg ( discussed above). Make you brews 24 litre so you get the 19 l plus your 5l.
Then as I started out get a 9.5l used keg ( need to search but you can get them). You can initially fill from your 19l leaving basically 2 x 5l refills. Your aim is to get 2 x 9.5 as this plus your 5l will get you another fermented brew. So this would mean you'd have a full 19l + a 5l and 2 x 9.5l + a 5l cause you have drank the one with 19l brew. Both 9.5 kegs will fit in the bar fridge so they can be chilled and carbonated from your gas bottle. ( this will then leave you with the 19l and 5l set up again). At first with the 9.5 kegs being attached to the gas bottle pour from your mini keg tap or a party line until you mount a tap in the door.
Hope this make sense.
That makes sense, I think :)

Thanks for your help, appreciated.

Nullnvoid said:
Shit man, you sure? It would be loved and appreciated, but only if you have an excess!
Yeah mate, excess for sure. Sitting in the mancave all shiny and unused. PM me your address.

So things are getting sorted!

Got my reg and bits last week and refilled the gas bottle on Friday. Managed mess around with some water in the minikeg and using the the regulator and stuffs.

Just got to start saving again to get a 19l keg!

Thanks to Grott who has been answering my silly questions!

Just updating, minikegged properly 2 x 5 litres of IPA last night. Then PET bottled the rest.

One of the kegs is now in the fridge being carbed at 10psi. Hopefully I'll be able to get a drink out on the weekend! Cannot wait!

You certainly will be. The keg with the carbonation cap, get that going by getting it cold (if you can put it in the fridge as well) and put 30psi into it each day. Shouldn't take much at serving pressure after that.

Give it 5 min each time then back in the fridge with it. Note:- first time you do it, purge the o2 out by loosening the cap so it "leaks" and purge for 5 secs at 5 psi. Tighten cap then the 30 psi.

Back