Cubes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sprungmonkey

Reaction score
Just wondering what size cubes you guys find are the best for using when going all grain using the "no chill" method, or for lagering or secondary fermenting? At the moment I brew 23L batches and can get hold of a few drums in either 15L, 20L or 25L? What size should I choose or doesn't it matter? I noticed "Fresh wort" comes in a 15L drum. Any thoughts or suggestions. Starting to collect up equipment and hopefully Ill be AG'ing (not aging hehe) asap.

I use the "20L" blue jerry-can style cubes which actually hold around 24L. They're easy to squeeze if your volumes are a bit low too. Look at BigW or Kmart, they're regularly on sale.

Cheers

I've got

4 x 17L (15L)
1 x 24L (20L)
1 x 27L (25L)

I use them depending what I'm looking to fill keg wise and batch size

With 6 x 18L, 2 x 9L, 1 x 12L kegs there are a few possible combinations plus a mongrel keg and then mixed kegs

Eg. 24L in 24L + 24L in 27L = 2 x 18L + 1 x 12L (mixed)

Cheers

One good place to get them is Ray's Outdoors, too. Apparently they encourage people to see what they got.

Just wondering what size cubes you guys find are the best for using when going all grain using the "no chill" method, or for lagering or secondary fermenting? At the moment I brew 23L batches and can get hold of a few drums in either 15L, 20L or 25L? What size should I choose or doesn't it matter? I noticed "Fresh wort" comes in a 15L drum. Any thoughts or suggestions. Starting to collect up equipment and hopefully Ill be AG'ing (not aging hehe) asap.

I use the 20 litre ( 22??litre ) one, its great. I have also used the 15ltr ( 17?? ) one for a strong ale. They are unreal. I have 2 x 15 litre ones, that one day i will use for a double batch of a standard strength beer, say a 4% bitter. That way, i can dilute it slightly when kegging ( to make up the volume in the keg ), so i get 2 kegs of 3.8% ish bitter in one brewday.

Haven't done it yet but i will do it one day.

Do you need to completely fill them - is their any reason. eg if i get all 25L ones and use them. Even if there is only 15 L's in them?

I have always filled mine up to the top and squeeze them until there is very little air left in the cube......after all why risk it. Whilstr on the subject what is the longest time someone has successfully left the wort in the cube before fermentation?

You don't have to fill them up, but if you don't squeeze the air out they will oxidize quickly. You can let them cool overnight and then pitch the yeast no issue though. For longevity, I recently fermented a beer that was cubed in late December, and it was brilliant. Some have kept cubes for longer with no issues either :)

Cheers

I've probably had about 3-4L head space at most in cubes

Though I haven't left these much beyond a few days before fermenting

Full ones I have left 3+ weeks without issue

Some IBU's have left them 1+ years without issue

Cheers

Dave, you just missed the sale that People In Plastic had with their 20L cubes. They hold about 22L when hot + full, and they were around $5 each with a cap. They've still got some 15L ones on special.

I've got a couple of the 15L varieties (which hold about 17), but these are a pain in the arse. I have just got kegs, so I want to ferment 20 litres, lose one to trub and neatly fill a keg.

I'm on tanks, so I can't just top up without boiling (water is always infected), so having 16L is crap.

Dave, you just missed the sale that People In Plastic had with their 20L cubes. They hold about 22L when hot + full, and they were around $5 each with a cap. They've still got some 15L ones on special.

Thanks for the offer. Luckly I can get some for free from work.

And you didnt let us know?!?! shame! :p

Haha, I think I made MULTIPLE posts telling people about this because it's about 1/4 the price of what some people were paying for jerry 'cubes'.

Back