No Chilling Kits and Extract Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewseph

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am looking at utilizing some cubes i have lying around as well as some rapidly aging extract and kits, and was wondering what would happen if i did a no chilled equivalent with these and stored for later use?

I was thinking of boiling the extract/DME and then tipping all remaining ingredients into the sanitized 15lt cube and top with water, either boiling or tap. Then when i have some free time/fridge space i can tip this into the fermenter, add 5lt water, pitch and wait. This would be much the same as the fresh wort kits or the no chill method.

Has anyone else tried this and is there any reason this wouldn't work.

If this is doable, i could potentially have a number of these laying in wait for when the fridge is freed up, or i want to get one fermenting quickly and with minimal fuss and distractions from the kids and SWMBO.

Interested to hear thoughts on this.

I can't see an issue but you will have to a do a full volume boil, which is somewhat uncommon for extract brewing. The contents of the cube will have to be around 80c (maybe a little less) when you put the lid on or you will risk not pasteurizing the cube properly.

Boiling the kits might impact their bitterness. If they contain any non isomerized alpha acids they will increase in bitterness.

If you think it will help fit homebrew around your lifestyle better then give it a shot. Report back once you have a cold one in your hand.

Edit: if you're time poor, maybe try some fresh wort kits.

Latest posts

Back