Cube Before Fermentor?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zabond

Reaction score
Just picked 2 15ltr cubes from bunnys,want to make a double batch to get ahead for summer,my plan was steep grains,add kit contents,split into the 2 cubes top up to 15 ltrs with water,then transf to ferms top up to 20ltrs and pitch when ready.questions-1. can I store the wort at room temp,[about 24*]then adjust temp for pitching as my ferm fridge is in use for the next week.- 2. do I have to purge head space with co2 to stop any oxygen spoiling the wort.tried a search but couldn't find these answers
Russ

My understanding of using cubes is that you want to be putting near-boiling wort into the cube, as the heat pasteurises (near sanitary, but not quite) any possible infections.

Pouring standard tap water into a cube and letting it sit for any period of time before adding the yeast is just asking for an infection.

We can normally get away with using tap water because we add the yeast straight away, and it becomes the dominant micro-organism, effectively out-eating any other bacteria that might be present in the water.

My advice, if you don't have the fridge space at the moment, is to put off your brewing until you do. If you really need to brew now (a desire most of us here on this site understand), the weather in Vic over the next week is looking pretty mild, so just brew, pour straight into your fermenter, add yeast, and let it ferment inside the house.

thanks warmbeer unfortunatly only have 2 ferms[both in use at the moment] as I will be boiling my steeped grain liquor if I transfer boiled wort and top up with boiling water,seal and vent as it cools would this be acceptable?just trying to get a couple of worts ahead of drinking schedule
Russ

I don't understand. All you're saving is 20 minutes steep-time per brew, aren't you? Why add an un-necessary step that might increase your chances of infection (not a criticism of no-chill, I'm sure the no-chillers see how this plan differs)?

I'd definitely be waiting for the fermenters to be empty and doing the brews as per normal.

I think you would be better off finding 1 smaller container.

Make up your steeped grain and kit mix, and pour it into 1 cube while still hot ensuring minimal left over head/air space and seal tight. Once you are ready to ferment then split the mix into your two fermentors, add water and yeast.

Myself I would just be brewing on the day. You are not doing a 4hr brew day.

QldKev

I don't understand. All you're saving is 20 minutes steep-time per brew, aren't you? Why add an un-necessary step that might increase your chances of infection (not a criticism of no-chill, I'm sure the no-chillers see how this plan differs)?

I'd definitely be waiting for the fermenters to be empty and doing the brews as per normal.

I agree with bum here. For a 20 minute steep time leave it until you need it.

For AG brewers that spend 4hrs to make a brew, no chill gives you flexability to brew when you have the time spare, and keep your fermenting to plan. You don't always have 4 hours spare when you need a fermentor to be filled; but you could find 20 mins most days.

QldKev

Wouldn't it take about 20 mins to bring 15 litres to the boil from 24 odd degrees anyway, thats assuming you using the stovetop. Just a thought.

Edit: Don't mind me, I didn't read the OP properly. I agree with the above though

I concur with what everyone else has said but just wanted to add...

I transfer boiled wort and top up with boiling water,seal and vent as it cools would this be acceptable?

I don't think you want to be venting the cube as it cools. As the cube cools it may well suck in on itself (depending on how much air was left in the cube), but this isn't a problem. What would be a problem is letting new air in that hasn't been pastuerised and potentially (read "almost certainly") contains airborn yeasts and bacterias. My understanding was the cube should be closed as quickly as possible and not opened again until you were pouring it into the fermenter.

Thanks all for the help guess I'll have to find another use for the cubes
warmbeer-I'm on tank water that goes through three filters down to .5 micron then a ultra violet sterilizer on drinking water side so not many bugs get through
bum -I steep 35min 10 min prep 20 min clean up about 1 hour /brew-double brew 1 1/2 hours
homebrewer79-hot filtered tap water 65*-boiled steep/sparge vol 20ltrs 2 brews-gas wok burner boil 10 ltrs 7 min
;) just pullin ya chain
thanks again Russ

bum -I steep 35min 10 min prep 20 min clean up about 1 hour /brew-double brew 1 1/2 hours

If this time is too hard to come by for a brew day have a bit of a read about cold steeping of spec grains. I've never done it myself but I have read of brewers who steep the grains in the fridge overnight without any noticeable difference in quality. You could then boil the resulting liquor on brew day and use that to dissolve your tin goop/fermentables. Might save you up to an hour on your double?

Why not get a couple of $1.95 taps from Bunnings for the cubes and just ferment in them, split the wort between them in two 12L batches? You wouldn't need an airlock, just open the lids a crack. I do all my secondary / lagering in the larger cubes and they work just fine.

They are easily cleaned with Napisan which will eat any gunk or rings left after fermentation. Any serious crusty shite can be shifted easily by pouring in half a cup of raw rice with some napisan and shake vigorously for a couple of minutes which 'sand blasts' the inside of the cube.

Back