20 ltr pot 20ltr brew?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wereprawn

Reaction score
Hi all,
Just about to give this all grain bit a go after 24 odd years of kits and extract brews.

Now, I am confident I can work out water, gain ect. But my issue is that I have 1 pot that holds 20 ltrs. Should I split the ingredients and do 2 mashes and boils or mash once then sparge?

I can get the wort down to pitching temp in about 45 min. So I'm thinking if I go with option 1 I can simply pitch the yeast after the first lot is in the fermenter than pour the second lot in on top without oxidization issues as it will be added about 2.25 hrs later.( planning on doing 90 min boils )

Will it be better to use the sparge water for better hop utilization? similar to what I have done in the past with water from steeped grains and a bit of DME? If I go down that path.

It seems that it will bee an all day affair either way.

My brews will be BIAB on a stove top and around 5% abv if all goes to plan.

If the beer turns out better than my extract brews I'll get my shit together and invest in equipment to do the job better.

Any advice is appreciated.

Cheers.

wereprawn said:
Hi all,
Just about to give this all grain bit a go after 24 odd years of kits and extract brews.

Now, I am confident I can work out water, gain ect. But my issue is that I have 1 pot that holds 20 ltrs. Should I split the ingredients and do 2 mashes and boils or mash once then sparge?

I can get the wort down to pitching temp in about 45 min. So I'm thinking if I go with option 1 I can simply pitch the yeast after the first lot is in the fermenter than pour the second lot in on top without oxidization issues as it will be added about 2.25 hrs later.( planning on doing 90 min boils )

Will it be better to use the sparge water for better hop utilization? similar to what I have done in the past with water from steeped grains and a bit of DME? If I go down that path.

It seems that it will bee an all day affair either way.

My brews will be BIAB on a stove top and around 5% abv if all goes to plan.

If the beer turns out better than my extract brews I'll get my shit together and invest in equipment to do the job better.

Any advice is appreciated.

Cheers.
http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/44264-20l-stovetop-all-grain-aussie-lager/

Okay you BIAB,or are intending to,20 litre pot set up so not 20 litres of brew per session.
Moving from years of extract and partials to all grain,it's all about learning ,dialling your setup in etc .
So why not split your brews ( using 2 fermentors) add a different hop schedule using the same grain bill and get even deeper into the passion?
Using BIAB sparging is not necessary that's the beauty of BIAB,a simple easy cheaper way of all grain brewing.
Cheers....spog....

Thanks for the links guys.

Spog , trying to get 20 ltr brews to fill my 19 ltr kegs. Yeah I reckon it will take a bit to get my evaporation rates ect down pat if I decide to continue. Its not that Much cheaper for me up here with postage but having more control and the prospect of beer tailored more to suit my tastes is very appealing.

Back