Crystal Malt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
..and further to the differences between steeping and mashing

(lifted from ww.howtobrew.com)
Steeping differs from mashing in that there is no enzyme activity taking place to convert grain or adjunct starches to sugars. Steeping specialty grains is entirely a leaching and dissolution process of sugars into the wort. If grain with enzyme diastatic potential is steeped, that is mashing.

Steeping is different

Crystal malt is already mashed, you won't change anything with different steeping temperatures but maybe dissolve less of the sugars

The Sarah Hughes recipe GMK posted above was from the first edition of Brew your Own Real Ales at Home. Second edn has reduced that to 900g

Jovial Monk

cheers JM, i'm learning something new all the time.

Jovial_Monk said:
Steeping is different

Crystal malt is already mashed, you won't change anything with different steeping temperatures but maybe dissolve less of the sugars
daveisbludging said:
..and further to the differences between steeping and mashing

(lifted from ww.howtobrew.com)
Steeping differs from mashing in that there is no enzyme activity taking place to convert grain or adjunct starches to sugars. Steeping specialty grains is entirely a leaching and dissolution process of sugars into the wort. If grain with enzyme diastatic potential is steeped, that is mashing.

GMK said:
I do this only for the steeping grains:
Xtal, Choc, Black, Roast Barley and occasionally flaked oats when i make an oatmeal stout.

No probs so far.
Dont flaked oats / flaked barley etc need to be mashed with some pale malt?

hmmmmmm

Palmer is spot on for crystal and cara type malts
However, roast barley, black malt and chocolate grains I cold steep overnight. the water added to the grain is a little above tepid.

No phenols in these highly roasted malts, but plenty of ashy astringencies from the roasting

Jovial Monk

wedge said:
cheers JM, i'm learning something new all the time.
Yeah..... like there's a second edition???? Is it printed on the cover? does it look the same???

"The Sarah Hughes recipe GMK posted above was from the first edition of Brew your Own Real Ales at Home. Second edn has reduced that to 900g

Jovial Monk"

I've bottled up the two versions of the Coopers Blonde. On initial tasting the Crystal has completely change the flavour and colour of the beer. It's much darker (to be expected) and has a toffeeish flavour. I'll crack open a couple of bottles in one month and see what has happened.

A couple more questions, what styles would you normally use Crystal in? Does Crystal 60 EBC taste the same as Crystal 120EBC?

Kook

Technically you are supposed to mash flaked barley/oats.
This for the enzymes to convert the starch.

But as i am not mashing and it is a small amount of oats - i dont bother.
The oats add alot of mouthfeel and extra body.

Personaly i think tat if you going to psend 3 hours doing steeping crystal ect and 20 min boiling then i would rather spend 5 hours and mash it with pale malt ect but then rather do other but thuts just my op.

Latest posts

Back