Crystal Malt Heavy Recipes?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Da Bear

Reaction score
Just a quick one, if you happened to have a love of ales, plenty of extract and partial mash brewing experience, no AG experience and a 25kg bag of JW Crystal fall in your lap, what would you brew?
I've been interested in giving BIAB a go for a while, and it would appear that the universe is suggesting that it might be a good idea :icon_cheers:

A big IPA, plenty of Super Alpha for bittering, and Cascade and Amarillo mixed for all later hops.

QldKev

Or an ESB with a good dose of bittering - no need to be shy with late hops or dry hopping either.

25 kg bags of spec malts last a long time though. Got any brewing friends?

NO MORE THAN 15% OF GRIST MAX :angry:

Hehehe... I know a bloke who made this weird dessert beer thing with 70% crystal malts and fortified some with muscat, some with a port and some with a single malt and aged it all on oak... :unsure:

I hear the muscat one is really coming into it's own... ;)

Perfect for extract brews. Base being light/pale malt extract then colour up by steeping your crystal - amount depending on style. Sounds like you've got around 50+ brews worth there, perhaps you should be thinking about effective storage methods.

Thanks for the advice Team, particularly your link unrealeous, has inspired some further study.
I'd not come across your 15% rule before Screwtop, but it does help explain why I've not come across many recipes with a significant proportion of Crystal.

So effective storage methods it is, and perhaps a bit of a share out with some of my brewing mates.
Thanks again,

Bear

Latest posts

Back