Crown urn not coming to a boil...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

menoetes

Reaction score
Hey there Brew-brothers,

I have a crown urn, nearly two years old, purchased from my fav AHB sponsor brewshop with the cutoff switch already disconnected. It's worked fine for the last 24 months, reaching a roiling boil regularly but tonight when trying to heat water in prep for tomorrow's brewday it's not heating at all. The light is on and the dial is at 110'c but it's not making the usual 'hiss' of an element at work and the water isn't heating to any noticeable degree.

It's been on for over an hour and I can still still reach my hand comfortably into the water to my elbow, it's not even warm. The element is clean and the probe is too. I'm not sure what to do here; has anyone else had this problem? Has anyone found a solution?

Just looking for help,
Meno

Sounds like it's just not coming on.

Got any piece of kit that can tell you the watts it's pulling?

I'm not a handy guy by any stretch, so ummm.... no I have no idea what kinda wattage the urn might be pulling. I fell pretty emasculated right now :huh:

Is it plugged into a powerboard? Could've tripped the circuit breaker

The power light would not be on if there was a broken circuit. I'd be ringing said favourite sponsor in the morning - they'd know of any history of faults with the model. My best guess is either damaged or loose wiring to the element or a cooked element. They should be able to have a look at it and advise. There should be spare parts for these things. Probably a bummer for tomorrow's brew day but it may not be a total disaster scenario as yet.

LAGERFRENZY said:
bummer for tomorrow's brew day but it may not be a total disaster scenario as yet.
Have gas (insert fart joke) you can use to heat instead for one brew day?

I know a bloke who knows a bloke who said to give him a call when you get a break and he'll tell the bloke he knows who knows a bloke and make the necessary arrangements with another bloke.

:D

damoninja said:
Have gas (insert fart joke) you can use to heat instead for one brew day?
Only have the stove & I'm not ready to go back to the two pot method just yet...

HBHB said:
I know a bloke who knows a bloke who said to give him a call when you get a break and he'll tell the bloke he knows who knows a bloke and make the necessary arrangements with another bloke.

:D
I know a bloke who knows a bloke who reckons it was a blown element so I talked to a bloke and ordered a new one direct from Crown this morning. Soon it'll be time for a lil' home done wiring, here's hoping I don't electrocute myself :ph34r: :ph34r:

menoetes said:
Soon it'll be time for a lil' home done wiring, here's hoping I don't electrocute myself :ph34r: :ph34r:
Maybe unplug it first?

But seriously, get yourself an RCD switch (you can get one that plug in between the power socket and the power cord of your appliance or a power board with one) and run with that for a little while.

menoetes said:
Only have the stove & I'm not ready to go back to the two pot method just yet...

I know a bloke who knows a bloke who reckons it was a blown element so I talked to a bloke and ordered a new one direct from Crown this morning. Soon it'll be time for a lil' home done wiring, here's hoping I don't electrocute myself :ph34r: :ph34r:
:blink: that's what warranties cover

menoetes said:
I'm not a handy guy by any stretch, so ummm.... no I have no idea what kinda wattage the urn might be pulling. I fell pretty emasculated right now :huh:

A watt meter something like this one, I've got one of these.
Power-Meter-image.jpeg

HBHB said:
:blink: that's what warranties cover
Pretty sure the warranty is void when you start to muck with it and bypass controls. Unless of course, this is how the business sold it to you... then it's their problem...

damoninja said:
A watt meter something like this one, I've got one of these.
Power-Meter-image.jpeg

Pretty sure the warranty is void when you start to muck with it and bypass controls. Unless of course, this is how the business sold it to you... then it's their problem...
No problem for anyone - fully covered by warranty - mods were done in the factory when ordered. These days the control runs at continuous duty with a cut off well over 100 Deg c so the unit doesn't switch off during the boil. Another factory mod which negates having to bypass the boil dry protection.

HBHB said:
No problem for anyone - fully covered by warranty - mods were done in the factory when ordered. These days the control runs at continuous duty with a cut off well over 100 Deg c so the unit doesn't switch off during the boil. Another factory mod which negates having to bypass the boil dry protection.
Ah well if they were done by the manufacturer then it's sanctioned, I was thinking a DIY job...

New element installed and tested. It goes like the blazes! I even forgot to take the strainer out and it still came to a vigorous roiling boil - something my older element wasn't doing at the end there.

I had a pretty savvy friend help me out with it, so no shorts, electric shocks or blown fuses. Just sweet sweet brewing.

Latest posts

Back