Crankandstein Mill Dimension Query

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob2263

Reaction score
Hi all, I have scoured through the topics on Crankandstein mills although I am yet to find any with the dimensions of these mills.

Reason I ask is, I have ordered the Crankandstein 3E mill and I was hoping to get a start on a base plate and hopper.

I have pilfered a hopper design although I really need the mill dimensions to get cracking on this project.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Bump,
someone must have one of these mills that they can cast a tape measure over????

I have a 3D, and just knocked up a crude housing for mine (it works unbelievably well). I really think that, depending on your intended design, you should wait for your item, especially if you plan on drilling and cutting before you receive it. I really wanted to house mine in, and it was a pain with the lock screws, the 3E makes it more difficult to house because of the cross bar. What are you planning?

What are you after the dimensions for? just the aluminium blocks, or the bolt distances? I am hesitant to give you exact bolt distances.

Mine is now nestled in amongst a bunch of MDF, and won't be coming apart any time soon.

Have constructed the hopper and tig welded it to a base plate. Now looking at either bolting into the aly frame or completely covering the front and rear sides. guess I will have to be patient and wait. Can you tell me is the top frame of the mill already drilled and tapped or do i have to look at doing this myself to possibly bolt the base plate down.

Sorry for all the questions

The 3D mill is basically 2 blocks of aluminium with holed drilled in it, but there is nothing holding it together sideways whatsoever, it is just loose with rollers sitting in it. The 3E looks like the crossbar would hold it together, but I have never seen one for real myself.

There are 2 threaded holes per side that run the entire vertical height of the mill (as least I believe that to be so). You receive 4 bolts that fit this thread for the top, and I really wished for another 4 so that I could lock it parallel at the base as well. If I bash the dust out of mine, the movement can cause the blocks to shift slightly at the bottom and I have to tap the sides back to parallel for the rollers to easily spin again, no biggie, but would have preferred another 4 bolts.

My 3D measurements:

Distance between hole centres on each side is approx 66.5mm
Distance between hole centres going over the rollers is approx 136mm

Roller width approx 125mm

Aluminium block height approx 76mm
Aluminium block width/depth (the larger of the two) approx 83mm
Aluminium block thickness approx 12mm

Drive shaft protrudes approx 54mm from side

ED: Please use these for planning only. If you want dust-tight housing double check against your mill copy. My work was pretty damned sloppy.

Thanks heaps for your help, now with some measurements I can rough up a desgin and get a frame under way, then hopefully mount set and forget the mill when it gets here. I will use the measurements as a guide and drill the precise sized holes when my mill turns up.

The 3D mill is basically 2 blocks of aluminium with holed drilled in it, but there is nothing holding it together sideways whatsoever, it is just loose with rollers sitting in it. The 3E looks like the crossbar would hold it together, but I have never seen one for real myself.

There are 2 threaded holes per side that run the entire vertical height of the mill (as least I believe that to be so). You receive 4 bolts that fit this thread for the top, and I really wished for another 4 so that I could lock it parallel at the base as well. If I bash the dust out of mine, the movement can cause the blocks to shift slightly at the bottom and I have to tap the sides back to parallel for the rollers to easily spin again, no biggie, but would have preferred another 4 bolts.

My 3D measurements:

Distance between hole centres on each side is approx 66.5mm
Distance between hole centres going over the rollers is approx 136mm

Roller width approx 125mm

Aluminium block height approx 76mm
Aluminium block width/depth (the larger of the two) approx 83mm
Aluminium block thickness approx 12mm

Drive shaft protrudes approx 54mm from side

ED: Please use these for planning only. If you want dust-tight housing double check against your mill copy. My work was pretty damned sloppy.

Latest posts

Back