Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating:

1. We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. In the next few hours the forum will be upgrading the software. It will look a bit different when you come back. It will be offline for approximately 2 hours. Once it is back check support forum for thread with information, and help.
    Dismiss Notice

CraftBeerPI Brew Controller

Discussion in 'Electronics, Hardware & Software' started by Manuel, 26/4/16.

1. tumi2

Posted 17/8/16
    Hey loco88 - I have some pics in this Google Drive link
    Im pretty sure this is how i set mine up via a breadboard.
    A Tip - don't use Fotek SSR as i could not get mine to activate direct from the GPIO pin voltage without adding in a transistor circuit to provide additional voltage. I switched to Inkbird and it worked direct from GPIO Pins as expected, so i am ditching the transistor complexity.

2. Mat B

Posted 17/8/16
    I'd like to point out that my Fotek works perfectly fine. I think you need to be careful on which ones you get, as there are some fake ones out there.

3. loco88

Posted 18/8/16
    That's pretty much what I'm looking for, cheers. I plan on adding a pump, so two relays but that's a good start, thanks.

Although...
    ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1471491278.915984.jpg

4. sp0rk

Mayor of Pooptown

Posted 18/8/16
    Just so you know, those are both counterfeit units
    But there are reports of fake ones doing the job just fine, but the odd one will be out of spec due to lack of QC

5. loco88

Posted 18/8/16
    Any easy way of telling fake from real? Save me a google seeing as you know what I'm actually using them for!

6. sp0rk

Mayor of Pooptown

Posted 18/8/16
    http://www.ul.com/newsroom/publicnotices/ul-warns-of-solid-state-relay-with-counterfeit-ul-recognition-mark-release-13pn-52/
    Basically, the bottom right corner of the label should have a small bit missing (on the real ones)
    Also they should say "Made in Taiwan" "Rated: 10A Max"
    Looks like they've started adding the Taiwan claim to the counterfeits

Most things I've read on the dodgy Foteks say they work fine, but they're under-rated
    Most of the 20A ones have 12A triacs, so if you're trying to switch a 15A circuit, she'll go boom
    You having 10A SSRs, I'd possibly be a little careful with them
    Using higher rated SSRs isn't a problem, you're safe to use 20A or 40A SSRs for a 10A circuit

7. tumi2

Posted 18/8/16
    Thanks for that explanation. I am going to give PID another go next brew but this time take close notice of how it works, timings and switching.

8. tumi2

Posted 18/8/16
    Has anyone upgraded to Dev2.2 of Craftbeerpi?. There seem to be some people using it and i can see on Git Hub that Manuel has been a busy developer and made lots of good changes recently.... all power to him i say :beerbang: :beerbang: .

I would like to upgrade but am not sure how i go from 2.1 to 2.2.

Do i just rename the current craftbeerpi folder and then run a git clone https://github.com/manuel83/craftbeerpi/tree/dev2.2 then run the install script to get a new installation of Dev2.2 or is there an upgrade path?

9. Manuel

Posted 18/8/16
    Hi

Version 2.2 is under heavy development. I updated all the python libs to the latest version and now I'm fixing issues.
    I don't recommend to you version for brewing but any help for bug fixing is appreciated.

You can clone this version by using the following command:

git clone -b dev2.2 https://github.com/Manuel83/craftbeerpi

Cheers,
    Manuel

10. tumi2

Posted 22/8/16
    Thanks Manuel. Im happy to clone and install dev2.2 into a different directory on the RPI to help with bug testing.

If i do will 2.1 still work?

11. Manuel

Posted 23/8/16
    CBP2.2 is under heavy development. I do a lot of changed. Last week I updated all the python libs to the lastest versions. This was a major change.
    Unfortunately these libs are not compatible to the libs used in version 2.1. To run both versions on one RPi I recommend to use virtualenv.

http://docs.python-guide.org/en/latest/dev/virtualenvs/

12. tumi2

Posted 24/8/16
    Thanks Manuel, i have now installed dev2.2 and 2.1 does not work as you mentioned but that is fine as i do not need to brew for a while.

Dev2.2 looks really good. It is much easier to identify hardware and the way you can name and view hardware is better. I also like being able to export the temperature profiles. Looking forward to the fermentation module being available as that looks good also.

How would you like me to report bugs? Should i just add them as Issues in GitHub or do you want me to put them in this thread?

13. Manuel

Posted 24/8/16
    Please use github for reporting issues but keep in mind 2.2 is still under development.

14. Dave_022

Posted 31/8/16
    How are changes for PID values including duty cycle window made?

15. terragady

Posted 1/9/16
    anyone tried PiZero? Does it work? Maybe dietpi.com would be nice idea, even for normal RPi 2/3

BTW you can check my github for some PCB's for CraftbeerPI similar to ArdBir's ones.

https://github.com/terragady

16. Dave_022

Posted 3/9/16
    I tried setup on dietpi as it is quite minimal; GPIO for 1-wire doesn't work out of the box to read sensors so it is a pain. Settled on Raspian Lite in the end as the fastest to setup.

17. terragady

Posted 4/9/16
    Do you use Raspberry Pi Zero?

18. Dave_022

Posted 9/9/16
    No, I was using model 2, I dont have a zero was thinkng of using a 3 though, just torn between other projects i have that may require the extra power as this seems quite lightweight. However i want to use the most stable setup as, while i can keep an eye on a kettle during brew day, an interruption to fermentation over a few days would be a pain!

19. tumi2

Posted 12/9/16
    can anyone help me with the commands to run an upgrade over version 2.2. I installed v2.2 about 1 month ago and wanted to upgrade to any recent changes Manuel has made in the last month.

20. terragady

Posted 12/9/16
    Can't you just install it from scratch again? 2.2 doesnt not meant to be for brewing yet, just for development from what he says.

Draft saved Draft deleted