Cracked Grain Too Old?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graybo

Reaction score
Hi brewers,

A bit new to this so please forgive any stupid questions :p

Can anyone tell me the longest period I could store (in the freezer) around 5kg of cracked grain before I should use it?

I bought a mixed bag of grain from grainandgrape around two weeks ago and for various reasons have been unable to brew with it.
I'm looking to brew a partial mash pale lager this weekend but by that stage the grain will be three weeks old.

I've read somewhere that you should use grain within a few days of it being milled. Is this true or can I use it anytime provided I have stored it properly? Will the time since milling affect my brew in any way? should I dump the lot and get a new grain bill ?

cheers!

graybo

I'm no expert but the obvious large variable is how is your grain stored. If it is cracked and then put in a air tight plastic bad that is vaccume sealed, which is how I buy my grain from my local home brew supplier I have waited for quite a few weeks before and the grain still had great utilisation. If however your grain were just in a bucket then I would be expecting that you would be exposing the grain to more air than would be good for it. Hope this helps,
basically
1) if it's airtight, you are probably sweet with very little utilisation loss
2) if it's not than you are probably not going to have as much yield.

Thanks for that leeboy. The grain is in a sealed plastic bag and has been in the freezer since I got it home. Although, it's not vacuum sealed as such. There is still a bit of air around the grains. I think I'll give it a go anyway. Cheers.

A bit new to this so please forgive any stupid questions :p

There are no stupid questions.

Three weeks is fine, mate. No worries, at all. I've brewed with grains purchased and cracked on premises (and stored) for well over a year, and the brew was fine. Obviously, not optimal conditions but was fine. So three weeks <> 1 year = nothing to worry about :D

Happy brewing :)

As above but avoid freexer as it will attract moisture.

I kept mine in the bag put it in airtight container with a couple of moisture absorbing pads you get with shoes and other goods that need dry condition.

Thanks all for your help. I'm really begining to like this forum thing! :D
I think I'll now wait another week before using the grains. From what you've told me it should be right for a while yet. Might give me more time to build up a good size yeast starter to pitch in this lager I'm gunna make. Cheers!

Latest posts

Back