Counter flow chiller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brendandrage

Reaction score
Hi all
I've been thinking about getting a chiller for a while now and after looking around I think a copper counter flow chiller would be best for me.
Does anyone know where a good deal can be had on one of these or are selling one or suggest a reason why I should not buy one I would appreciate it.

Cheers Brendan

IMG_7499_zps0b872c3a.jpg

Easy to clean

elcarter said:
Reece plumbing HVAC have always been nice and offered trade prices to walk-in's. Sometimes cheaper but come in 6m Lenthgs. i just bent it in half and brazed it together at the bottom.
That's true here too, Reece are pretty good with their copper pipe prices
However their copper fittings prices are stupid, they wanted $21 for a 2.5" straight joiner
Tradelink wanted $6...

Barneey, I have been looking at building one similar to your design. do you get leaks on the ends where the silicon tubing is? Noticed that you don't have any clamps on them.

A commercial example can be found at "jadedbrewing".

To answer the silicone clamp...no clamps required, its standard UK 15mm OD copper with a 12.7mm ID silicone hose, the suction between the two is enough.

This is one of my previous builds, both use Olives & indents to aid cooling (convolute)

IMG_9744_zps4ece575a.jpg

IMG_9731_zps6c96443b.jpg

IMG_9730_zpsb7824bf9.jpg

IMG_9729_zps2266535f.jpg

IMG_9728_zps7aa11d1e.jpg

IMG_9727_zpsf50f3d31.jpg

IMG_9726_zps0b4e42f7.jpg

IMG_9725_zpsa01d69c2.jpg

IMG_9723_zpsd4ca0e21.jpg

IMG_9722_zps801d4698.jpg

barneey
Another couple of questions. What is the length of the long straight sections and what kind of performance do you get out of it (say how long it takes to get the wort from 100degC to within a couple of deg of your supply water temp?

On the non painted goat, approx. 5mins 100c to 20c using 10c cooling water, it has a lot to do with coolant flow rates / temps etc.

SetSmash is a fellow Englishman took the idea even further and has produced a table of results, I'll PM him on the UK forum to see if he is a member here or if I can publish the table / results.

The lengths of pipe are 1m long (15mm) thereby you can get 3 lengths out of a 3m standard (UK) length, the outer 22mm coolant pipe is therefore slightly shorter.

Latest posts

Back