Corona

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riverside

Reaction score
Hi guys, just about to put down my batch of morgans mexican cev, with 15%bb and Salf yeast i would like to add some galena hops. When is the best time to add the galena and what is the best process for this.. Many thanks

Cheers

Not a fan of Corona myself but from what I remember it doesn't have much/any flavour, so maybe just add the hops for bittering only ie:60 mins. How much I haven't a clue.

I made the kit up without any extras and it tasted like a clone before I bottled it.

I'd only use 15g of Galena for 60 minutes but if doing a grain version I'd make that 90 minutes. I did a Cerveza style beer with 20g of Chinook, which actually has a slight tad more Alpha Acid than Galena, and the beer turned out more hoppy than Corona. Shows how little they actually use in practice.

Not a fan of Corona myself but from what I remember it doesn't have much/any flavour, so maybe just add the hops for bittering only ie:60 mins. How much I haven't a clue.

Thanks, im a little confused ? Sorry never played with hops before so this will be my first time. Do you think this will only add bitterness to the brew ? Also 60 mins ? what is that for boiling it or adding it ?
Cheers

Thanks, im a little confused ? Sorry never played with hops before so this will be my first time. Do you think this will only add bitterness to the brew ? Also 60 mins ? what is that for boiling it or adding it ?
Cheers

60 mins (or 30 mins or whatever mins) means you add hops to boiling liquid and boil it for that amount of time.
When brewing with grains the liquid extracted from grains needs to be boiled for various reasons. One of those is adding hops for bitterness (long boil) flavour (a bit less) and aroma (towards the end). You can also make brews from unhopped extract in which case you need to do a boil for hops additions.

However if you're just adding aroma hops or finishing hops you can add them in when you mix up your hot water with the kit or add them in when primary fermentation has wound down (say about 3-4 days before bottling).

Bitterness will only come from a boil (at least 30 minutes for any real impact, usually 60-90)

I'd only use 15g of Galena for 60 minutes but if doing a grain version I'd make that 90 minutes. I did a Cerveza style beer with 20g of Chinook, which actually has a slight tad more Alpha Acid than Galena, and the beer turned out more hoppy than Corona. Shows how little they actually use in practice.

Hi BribieG, Im only new on here as you can probibly guess, just taken brewing back up after about 6 years off, i have only ever been a can brewer and am trying to learn all i can about gb. Past few days i have been doing heaps of seaches on here eg CORONA ! and your name/posts are in most of them, so i would love any info you could through my way re; corona brewing... plleasse :D When you say you would only use galena for 60 mins, do you mean boil it for that long ? When is the best time to add it ? Many thanks
Cheers
P.s im a fridgie so if i can help yourself or anyone on here with fridge probs or temps/ pressure, happy to help.

60 mins (or 30 mins or whatever mins) means you add hops to boiling liquid and boil it for that amount of time.
When brewing with grains the liquid extracted from grains needs to be boiled for various reasons. One of those is adding hops for bitterness (long boil) flavour (a bit less) and aroma (towards the end). You can also make brews from unhopped extract in which case you need to do a boil for hops additions.

However if you're just adding aroma hops or finishing hops you can add them in when you mix up your hot water with the kit or add them in when primary fermentation has wound down (say about 3-4 days before bottling).

Bitterness will only come from a boil (at least 30 minutes for any real impact, usually 60-90)
Thanks manticle
That has just answered my questions, thanks for taking the time to explain.. much appreciated ! Cheers If you have any fridge probs give me a yell, as im a refrigeration mech.

As I said above 60 mins refers to the time the hops are boiled. By saying 'only 60 mins' Bribie means he would only add hops for bittering (requiring a longer boil), not for flavour or aroma. The longer hops are boiled for (within reason) the more bitterness is extracted. Shorter boils extract flavour and aroma compounds but less bittering.

If you are doing a boil (generally not done with kits but can be) you wait till the wort comes to the boil. You should boil it for 15 minutes uncovered, then add the first lot of hops (bittering). Boil in total for 60 minutes. You can add hops at any point along the way and depending on what point that is, it will provide a different characteristic.

Not meaning to question any of the advice given in regards to boil times but riverside has said he's putting down a kit and bits brew - isn't an additional 60min boil gonna get him pretty far away from the beer he's trying replicate? It's not the hoppiest style in the world, if the kit is well regarded (no idea, myself) I'd almost be tempted to not add any hops at all - small amount late boil at the most.

All IMO, obviously.

Not meaning to question any of the advice given in regards to boil times but riverside has said he's putting down a kit and bits brew - isn't an additional 60min boil gonna get him pretty far away from the beer he's trying replicate? It's not the hoppiest style in the world, if the kit is well regarded (no idea, myself) I'd almost be tempted to not add any hops at all - small amount late boil at the most.

All IMO, obviously.
Yes and I did try to intimate something to that nature (ie possibly not necessary for straight kk). However riverside also indicated an interest in developing knowledge about grain brewing.

Of course. And, as always, your information is sound. I guess I was raising the issue more for riverside's benefit. Reading between the lines it looks like he's preparing to follow the 60 minute advice and I was just trying to put the idea in his head that that might (will) make the beer much more bitter than a shop-bought Corona - which he may very well like the idea of, who knows?

Thanks manticle
That has just answered my questions, thanks for taking the time to explain.. much appreciated ! Cheers If you have any fridge probs give me a yell, as im a refrigeration mech.

No worries and will give you a shout re: fridges if I need.

@ bum - you're right to draw the distinction and aim for a bit of simplification. Getting your head around this stuff is difficult especially when new (and even when not so new - I still struggle with much of it).

As I said above 60 mins refers to the time the hops are boiled. By saying 'only 60 mins' Bribie means he would only add hops for bittering (requiring a longer boil), not for flavour or aroma. The longer hops are boiled for (within reason) the more bitterness is extracted. Shorter boils extract flavour and aroma compounds but less bittering.

If you are doing a boil (generally not done with kits but can be) you wait till the wort comes to the boil. You should boil it for 15 minutes uncovered, then add the first lot of hops (bittering). Boil in total for 60 minutes. You can add hops at any point along the way and depending on what point that is, it will provide a different characteristic.

ok,, so is it best to use hops with a tin or not ? (in your opinion) By the sounds of things they will only make the brew more bitter . Is that right ?

Thanks

All IMO, obviously.

Hi,, im realy getting confused here ? in your opinion what would be the closest clone i could do for Corona.. What would adding hops in late boil do compared to at the start ? Do you mean add late boil or late ferment ? (3-4 days into fermentation) Sorry if i sound like a dick but is bit confusing to me !
Cheers

Of course. And, as always, your information is sound. I guess I was raising the issue more for riverside's benefit. Reading between the lines it looks like he's preparing to follow the 60 minute advice and I was just trying to put the idea in his head that that might (will) make the beer much more bitter than a shop-bought Corona - which he may very well like the idea of, who knows?

Hi Bum,, im going for the closest clone i can get to corona,, i know a lot of people on here might wonder why,lol but it is my fav beer ! any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Cheers

Don't apologise for the beer you want to make!

I can't help you with an exact recipe because I've never made a Corona copy. But I really do think a 60 minute boil for this beer will be a bit too much. Playing with some hops is something worth doing though - if only to add a extra dimension to the finished product. No matter how good a kit is it is probably never going to come out as well as a commercial example without playing with it. Having said that, credit where credit is due, BribieG is an accomplished brewer and it seems he's suggesting a 60 minute boil of 15g of Galena in a kit version so I've probably got the whole thing arse about. But another newer brewer is suggesting this kit is pretty close straight out the box. If you do decide to go with boiling up some hops be sure to read up on that process - it can be as simple as brewing up a cup of tea but for best results something slightly more complicated is required. There is plenty of info about the process about the place.

As you can see there are lots of people here with great advice and who are willing to help. What you need to do is to clearly let them know what you need. I'm guessing you want a simple recipe with the Morgan's kit as your base?

Also search the board. This is a beer that many new brewers ask for help on and I know the answer that is right for you will be floating around somewhere - even if it isn't you will learn lots of really helpful stuff about brewing the more you read.

Just another option for you, http://www.liquorcraft.com.au/wa.asp?idWeb...p;idDetails=133, although I will say that I have brewed a few of the recipes out of "Brewing Crafts" (written by the bloke that runs the Brewcraft stores in Melb), and only one of them turned out anything like what it was supposed to resemble.
Just putting it out there for ya.

ok,, so is it best to use hops with a tin or not ? (in your opinion) By the sounds of things they will only make the brew more bitter . Is that right ?

Thanks

Hops form 3 functions.

They add bitterness to malt liquor that is otherwise sweet. To achieve this you boil them in liquid (usually the unfermeted liquid called wort)

They add flavour to the resulting beer. To achieve this they are boiled as before but for less time.

They add aroma. To do this they are added to the hot liquid after it is boiled (or in the case of a kit mixed with hot water. They can also be added later in fermentation.

Whether or not you should add them is entirely up to how much bitterness, flavour and aroma you like. At this point I wouldn't worry about boiling though. Just look at using finishing or aroma hops if you so desire. Hope that clarifies things.

Back