Cornie Keg Tool Kit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hehe

Just take your keg/s with you into bunnings/supercheap... funny looks... but at least you get the right size.

I like ring spanners. Good leverage and solid fit, handles the 12 sided nuts too. I need 3 different ones for my keg fleet

I don't think that tube spanners will fit the 'star' type tank plugs. For these you need a ring spanner or socket.

I don't think that tube spanners will fit the 'star' type tank plugs. For these you need a ring spanner or socket.
Is this what you mean by star plug nige?
star_post.JPG

Cause if it is my tube spanner (I feel so clever I have learnt something new today cheers matho!) actually fits it better than the other plugs

tube_spanner.JPG

I do like my ring spanners and sockets. They are so nice and shiny. But the tube spanner is so ghetto and cheap and works really well.

Why on earth do keg manufactures have to make it so hard?

Alright, wasn't cheap but I bought some tools yesterday.

I bought a 7/8" star deep socket from Supercheap Auto for about $6. I bought a 1/2" drive ratchet thingo to drive it that was only about $4. It's a plastic wheel thing that snaps directly into the socket and allows you to get plenty of torque without killing your fingers however it's super compact so would be very useful for say removing a keg post while the keg is still in your fridge/freezer and packed in with lots of other stuff around it, including the walls of the fridge/freezer. Wouldn't be able to do that with spanners etc.

They didn't have any deep sockets in hex shapes in singular form. They had some sets but none had the right size. There were spark plug ones that looked close but were slightly too small. So I won't to Repco.

At Repco I got a 22mm hex deep socket and an 18mm hex deep socket. Both were 1/2" drive as well. These were pretty expensive, I paid $28 for both!

I have tested the 22mm and 18mm hex sockets and both are perfect for the kegs I've tested on. I haven't yet tested the star socket and I haven't checked to see if I also need a smaller star socket or not for any of my kegs. From memory I don't.

FYI 22mm sockets are exactly the same size as 7/8" sockets at least to the naked eye. For our purposes they'd be interchangeable, at least for hex posts. The reason I got the 7/8" star one was because it was cheaper than the metric 22mm one ($6 compared to $10).

So all in all it was a fairly expensive affair, however these are insanely handy and IMO worth the money. They all have a life time warranty too. I figure money spent on tools is seldom a waste because they last for so long and save so much hassle over your life time.

Can't believe some of you blokes are using vice grips - ******* butchers! :p

tool hierarchy 6 point socket > 6 point ring spanner > 12 point socket > 12 point spanner > open end spanner > shifter > vice grips
Tube spanners are handy but usually impractical as they crush when torqued I certainly wouldnt be using one on a keg post. I only use them for tap bonnets - and thats only because they come with a washer kit.

Imperial tools are typically cheaper as single items but as kits usually more expencive (there is usually more sizes in an imperial kit compared to a similar range metric kit).

I use a 12 point 7/8" ring spanner works on all my keg posts and means I dont have to have a socket set with me and allows me a smaller rotation.

Tools really arent that expencive. 90% of tools you buy will last you a life time if you buy reasonable (doesnt have to be the best) quality and look after them. The only reason you'll replace most tools will be because you loose them due to carelessness rather than the tool breaking. If your breaking tools you must be buying crap IMO

Some pics of the tools I got in case anyone is looking for similar in the future.

IMG00087_20111124_1218.jpg
IMG00085_20111124_1218.jpg
IMG00084_20111124_1217.jpg

Couldn't be easier to use. Attach the yellow wheel to the socket, put the socket over the keg post and twist the post off the keg.

So where is your leverage with these? What if you have a keg post that's stuck?

One of these yellow thingies was included in my daughter's toilet trainer seat with ladder which I put up the other day and I thought it was a bit annoying to use because it kept falling off when turning my hand. Might have to do with the fact that it was all plastic though, at least yours will stay on the socket I guess.

The leverage is just in your wrist action really. If you had one that was stuck you could just use any other 1/2" driver including ones a foot or so long I saw. The posts I've tested so far though have been really easy with that tool, and I can use it in tight spaces too.

And yeah it doesn't fall out. Once attached to the socket it sticks to it. And the socket doesn't slip at all on the post.

Argh, Florian you're correct. That yellow wheel thing is frigging useless. It seems to work yesterday on a spare keg but there's a chance it just wasn't on tight. It actually slips before providing enough torque even for a post that isn't on THAT hard. I'll get a 1/2" driver with more leverage.

Geez you guys like complication and spending!

22mm ring spanner. Done.

IMG_2799.jpg

IMG_2800.jpg

Geez you guys like complication and spending!

22mm ring spanner. Done.

IMG_2799.jpg

IMG_2800.jpg

+1
i have 4 kegs that have 4 different types of posts including the star type. ring spanners get all 4 off.
also agree that good quality is the key to tools that are used.

/quote]

Really? Spanners work Nick? Well how about that! Have fun using your spanner from any angle you want to, and with a ratchet action.

yeah god damn **** nick jesus...how dare you!

ps i just undid my gaystar post with the visegrips with no discernbable damage to said posts

so get fkd

i reserver the rights to remove this post tomorrow

stop being gay and just make beer....fark

ps i just undid my gaystar post with the visegrips with no discernbable damage to said posts
so get fkd
So if you have no care about what tool is right for the job, why not use a hammer? :p
;)

Latest posts

Back