Cornie Keg Tool Kit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So if you have no care about what tool is right for the job, why not use a hammer? :p
;)
Believe it or not, I have tried a hammer with no success!!

and chisel or screw driver
I have also tried chisel and screwdrivers and anything else I could find.

However, I did buy a particular keg from someone on Ebay who uses a Pneumatic Wrench to tighten them!!... THIS particular keg was like hell to break down. I was at the point of distruction and was just going to buy new posts but then I finally got it.

However, I did buy a particular keg from someone on Ebay who uses a Pneumatic Wrench to tighten them!!... THIS particular keg was like hell to break down. I was at the point of distruction and was just going to buy new posts but then I finally got it.

I reckon a deep socket with a long driver would of got that easy.

What did you end up using?

deep socket, 1/2" sq drive drill adaptor and a loose clutch setting to provide an "impacting" action would have loosened it in no time. It would work like an impact driver.

As for spanners - you can get ratchetting spanners and they are the greatest things ever. When dad first got a set many years ago I thought he was a tool. Seriously why would you need ratchetting spanners? if you need a ratchet use a socket set. How wrong was I. I got given a set of imperial ratchetting spanners for my birthday - I soon after bought the metric set to match. Fricken AWESOME!

I love tools though I have a 7 drawer roller cab and a 9 draw top chest both JBS/1-11 and they're pretty close to full. Its a shame I'm a bit of a tool tard though

I find filling the keg with water makes it heaps easier to work on. Stops it being so light and hard to counter.

I reckon a deep socket with a long driver would of got that easy.

What did you end up using?

I tried just about anything and everything I could get my hands on. I eventually cut some of the rubber collar away which freed it up some but it still wasn't going to budge. I then took it to Beaurepairs who kindly helped to remove it with a rattle gun.

sizes are 22mm and 11/16". two spanners total about $1 at bunnings, not sure why everyone is going and spending so much on automotive deep socket sets and the like?

7/8" and 18mm are wrong. they're close, they will be too big by about half a mm, it will probably work but its just stupid using the wrong size.

Most of my kegs don't even need a spanner, they hold pressure fine even when I do the posts up with my fingers?

sizes are 22mm and 11/16". two spanners total about $1 at bunnings, not sure why everyone is going and spending so much on automotive deep socket sets and the like?

7/8" and 18mm are wrong. they're close, they will be too big by about half a mm, it will probably work but its just stupid using the wrong size.

Most of my kegs don't even need a spanner, they hold pressure fine even when I do the posts up with my fingers?

22mm hex, 18mm hex and 7/8" star all work perfectly fine.

The reasons for deep sockets have already been covered in this thread.

Retired fitters have spanners to burn. :p
Ringies do it for me every time. Fast & easy with plenty of leverage & there's always my "personalised" spanner to fall back on. ;)

TP
Shark_Keg_Spanner.JPG

Think my Italian "Cornelius" and "Spartenburg" brand kegs might actually be metric

Americans were using metric when they built the Cornys? Don't fink so.

good point. but that said, my calipers measure mine as 22mm, my 7/8" spanner is loose on the posts, and 22mm fits like a glove. So as far as I'm concerned, theyre 22mm :)

Haven't spent a cent on tools for my kegs. All my tools are for cars.

why not just get a ratcheting ring spanner, no worry about clearance and a good amount of leverage...

I don't think some people understand how tight these suckers can be. If you can get them off with a ring spanner than you're gigglin, count yourself lucky. I think superman must have done up my keg posts.

I reckon if I get said deep sockets then the rattle gun will sort the bastards out!

Oh, also the boys at the work have some pretty precise verniers, so I'm gonna take my 3 empty corny's in next week and get them to measure each nut, I'll post the results here to add to the debate.

So the measurement on my keg post nuts was 22.04mm and 17.67mm I guess that's close enough to a 22mm and an 18mm socket for me :)

Latest posts

Back