Cornie Keg Tool Kit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkBastard

Reaction score
I'm getting freaking sick of trying to take off posts for example with wrenches. I would like to put together a tool kit containing all of the tools needed for cornie kegs and maybe kegging setups in general.

Does anyone know for example if you can get sockets that fit keg posts and are long enough as well? I do have some hex ones at home that are almost what I want however the wrong size.

From memory you'd need at least two difference size hex ones, and one size star shaped.

I have 4 cornies, and they don't all have the same size nuts on the posts.
Someone on here said he had a bicycle tool that fits different size nuts he found invaluable for his kegs.

Yeah I've been doing some research since making this post and looks like I should get a cheap deep socket set.

I have these annoying posts on some kegs that have a very thin hex at the bottom so even the correct sized spanner would probably be annoying.

I bought some nice REPCO deep sockets, 17m and 19mm. Could only get them in 1/2" drv, but they seem to work well for the kegs I have.

vicegrips, or even a wide throat shifter. mine is made by bahco - only as big as a normal shifter but it adjusts out far enough to do up an M30 nut

i much prefer the viceys though

some of my posts are star shaped, tried vicegrips and shifter on them to no avail & ended up having to go to the big green shed to expand my tool collection.

whats wrong with a ring spanner ? 22mm seems to fit the 3 kegs i have, the "stars" and the standard "nut"

take the kegs to a tool shop :)

I bought a set of ring spanners for this purpose. Then one day I couldn't find them so I ended up working out that the tool I used for fixing taps fitted perfectly. It's a metal tube and each end has a different size socket that just happens to fit the 2 sizes of keg posts that I own. I'm not exactly sure where I got this from (i probably claimed it from dad) but it may well be a spark plug spanner. It looks a lot like this

whats wrong with a ring spanner ? 22mm seems to fit the 3 kegs i have, the "stars" and the standard "nut"

take the kegs to a tool shop :)

I think technically it's a 7/8". I also use a 22mm ring spanner.

My keg whakkinator is a perfect tool, I couldn't manage without it, especially as I suffer from a bit of arthr. in the wrists and fingers.

Prise up the keg closure "frame" without chipping nail polish

whakkinator_1__Medium_.jpg

Whack down sharply with the rubber end to loosen the keg lid

whakkinator_2__Medium_.jpg

Hold at arms length and use a pointy bit to depress the beer post of a keg swooshed with boiling water to create a fountain and clean flush out the dip tube / QD

whakkinator_3__Medium_.jpg

It's actually a BMX bike pedal wrench, pity the spanner part doesn't fit a QD or it would be perfect. That and a ring spanner is all I use on the kegs.

whakkinator_4__Medium_.jpg

After misplacing the socket I used for the bigger post, I recently took the two different sized posts to the caboolture markets and got a quality long socket for both. The guy wanted a bit to much for them, $2 each, took a bit of talking but I talked him down to $3.50 for the pair. :icon_chickcheers:

Cheers

ok silly question, but wouldn't it be easier to change the post throughout your collection of kegs so they all match that way you only need one tool? And though I Haven't had to fight with them yet, I'm sure I'd be on to the LHBS right out of the box. :mellow:

whats wrong with a ring spanner ?

That's it. I have a set of them, and from memory need three different ones depending on the keg. Works with star and hex, no probs, and the lever is long enough to not pull your wrist.

how about a ring spanner....works everytime for me....

I bought a set of ring spanners for this purpose. Then one day I couldn't find them so I ended up working out that the tool I used for fixing taps fitted perfectly. It's a metal tube and each end has a different size socket that just happens to fit the 2 sizes of keg posts that I own. I'm not exactly sure where I got this from (i probably claimed it from dad) but it may well be a spark plug spanner. It looks a lot like this

from what you have described they are called tube spanners

25301_tube_spanners_close_up.JPG

and they would do the job brilliantly on normal nut shaped posts

Tube spanner is what I need! I just looked at deep sockets at super cheap and they're pretty expensive in the size I'm after.

What would be awesome is a + shaped too that was basically a tube spanner with four different sizes. Surely there'd only be four different sizes for kegs?

Regarding regular spanners, that'd work for the star ones but with the hex ones some of my kegs just don't have enough room. If the post is aligned a certain way I just can't get the spanner in at the right angle. That's why I want sockets.

I think I'm gunna have to measure all my posts or something because my kegs have been in them and I can't get some of the posts off to take them to the store. Pain in the butt. Hence the thread I guess.

Tube spanner is what I need! I just looked at deep sockets at super cheap and they're pretty expensive in the size I'm after.

What would be awesome is a + shaped too that was basically a tube spanner with four different sizes. ...

Wheel brace, tube spanners / deep sockets, and a welder...

go to bunnings in the pluming section and they have the tube spanners but they have about 5 or so different sizes one slips on the end of another they go from 19mm to 23mm I think and seem to fit the different sizes I have. But if your like me and go threw a whole screwdriver set every 6 months (coz you forgot where you put them down) then its a pain to find them some times lol

A welder you say?? lol what weld them all together in one neat package haha

vicegrips, or even a wide throat shifter. mine is made by bahco - only as big as a normal shifter but it adjusts out far enough to do up an M30 nut

i much prefer the viceys though

omg .. i've never needed vice grips... and a shifter wouldn't fit on my kegs

I think technically it's a 7/8". I also use a 22mm ring spanner.
ring spanners work fine for mine too.

Latest posts

Back