Coopers Stout Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brownie

Reaction score
Question about gravity reading and if my Coopers Stout is ready for rack into secondary ferementer.

Recipe
1 Can Coopers Stout concentrate kit
1 Can Coles Lager concentrate kit
150g Maltodextrin
70g Dark Brown Sugar
70g Dextrose
2 Tablespoons Golden Syrup
12g Hersbrucker Hops (Boiled 20 mins) (only used Hersbrucker Hops cause all I had and thought why the heck not).

Original Gravity was 1050 and was put down last Sunday (24/09/2006). Only 6 days thus far.

Checked gravity today and it was 1012, I know I should check Gravity tomorrow and if the same Primary is pretty much finished.

But was wondering if this is fine right now to rack to secondary or should I be patient?

Brownie.

Patience is the key!

As long as the temperature is kept around 16-22C, it's best to leave it on the primary as long as you can bear. Definitely wait until tomorrow, or even the next day if you get the slightest change in SG. With that being said, you could probably rack it to secondary, but it would slow down the conditioning phase if the attenuative phase isnt over (the main fermentation phase that eats the easy sugar).

Original Gravity was 1050 and was put down last Sunday (24/09/2006). Only 6 days thus far.

Checked gravity today and it was 1012, I know I should check Gravity tomorrow and if the same Primary is pretty much finished.

But was wondering if this is fine right now to rack to secondary or should I be patient?

Brownie.

I would definitely rack at this point. You won't attenuate much past this - certainly not in primary. You don't want your stout sitting on yeast dregs unncecessarily.

Just my opinion...

Call me a newbie if you will, coz i still am..

But i leave my my primary for a week at least than go the secondary, if not straight to keg. I don't pay much attention to the SG, except that it's pretty close to done :)

Question about gravity reading and if my Coopers Stout is ready for rack into secondary ferementer.

Recipe
1 Can Coopers Stout concentrate kit
1 Can Coles Lager concentrate kit
150g Maltodextrin
70g Dark Brown Sugar
70g Dextrose
2 Tablespoons Golden Syrup
12g Hersbrucker Hops (Boiled 20 mins) (only used Hersbrucker Hops cause all I had and thought why the heck not).

Brownie.

With that list of ingredients ,1012 is FG. rack it to 2ndary for 7 days, a little more co2 will swell the cube so crack the lid when its hard to vent ans then bottle/ keg after a week or 2

All,

Thanks for your advice, I shall rack to Secondary Sunday.

Will it hurt if I leave in Secondary for 2 weeks, only say that as next weekend happens to be Bathurst Weekend?

This was a krausen monster, spewing out through the airlock.

Cheers

Brownie

err leave in 2nondary for 1-2 weeks, then either bottle or keg it, then start your ageing :)

There's only one rule.
And that's to use my rule.
Make it up as you go along!

This was a krausen monster, spewing out through the airlock.

Brownie, I've got stains on the floor of my fermentation box from a similar Cooper's stout experience some time back :lol:

Oh, and having a BBQ and HB fest tomorrow at mine after 1:30pm if you are keen...forgot to tell Steve and he's only online weekdays...whoops :blink:

Any other Canberrans want in, just chuck me a PM, the more the merrier :party:

PZ.

Latest posts

Back