Oval Office (Honey Amber) 8.5L Beer using Coopers Craft Mr Beer North

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Odysseym

Reaction score
I am wanting to make the Recipe for Oval Office (Honey Amber) 8.5L Beer using Coopers Craft Mr Beer North West Pale Ale.
I have two questions which I Hope someone can answer for me:
1.The Recipe calls for Smooth Malt Extract....Can I use 250 gm of Coopers Light Dry Malt??
2.There is a Yeast Sachet provided with the Kit....is this yeast the Safale S-04 Dry Ale Yeast as called for in the recipe?
RECIPE:
Ingredients
1.3kg Northwest Pale Ale
250g Smooth Malt Extract
250g Honey (of your choice)
12g Fuggle Hop Pellets
Safale S-04 Dry Ale Yeast
Pack of Carbonation Drops
Colour: AmberBody: HeavyBitterness: MediumApprox. Alcohol Level: 7.2% ABVNaturally Carbonated: Natu
My Fuggle Hop Pellets Bag is 15gm can I still use this??

Odysseym
membership_trial.png

Is there a method as well?
Your malt should be fine as long as the recipe is talking about dry malt. If it's liquid malt in the recipe, you can still sub yours in but the amount will differ.

3g of hops won't change much. If using for bittering then alpha acid percentage is the important figure. If just a steep, you'll be fine.

Yeast in coopers kit is likely their own dry ale strain. S04 can be purchased from most decent brew shops.

I thought Obama was a Danstar man?
Used windsor for the ale, nottingham for the porter.
The recipe for it is here in case someone can help the OP out with ingredients: https://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2012/09/01/ale-chief-white-house-beer-recipe

White House Honey Ale
Ingredients

2 (3.3 lb) cans light malt extract
1 lb light dried malt extract
12 oz crushed amber crystal malt
8 oz Biscuit Malt
1 lb White House Honey
1 1/2 oz Kent Goldings Hop Pellets
1 1/2 oz Fuggles Hop pellets
2 tsp gypsum
1 pkg Windsor dry ale yeast
3/4 cup corn sugar for priming
Directions

In an 12 qt pot, steep the grains in a hop bag in 1 1/2 gallons of sterile water at 155 F degrees for half an hour. Remove the grains.
Add the 2 cans of the malt extract and the dried extract and bring to a boil.
For the first flavoring, add the 1 1/2 oz Kent Goldings and 2 tsp of gypsum. Boil for 45 minutes.
For the second flavoring, add the 1 1/2 oz Fuggles hop pellets at the last minute of the boil.
Add the honey and boil for 5 more minutes.
Add 2 gallons chilled sterile water into the primary fermenter and add the hot wort into it. Top with more water to total 5 gallons. There is no need to strain.
Pitch yeast when wort temperature is between 70-80˚F. Fill airlock halfway with water.
Ferment at 68-72˚F for about seven days.
Rack to a secondary fermenter after five days and ferment for 14 more days.
To bottle, dissolve the corn sugar into 2 pints of boiling water for 15 minutes. Pour the mixture into an empty bottling bucket. Siphon the beer from the fermenter over it. Distribute priming sugar evenly. Siphon into bottles and cap. Let sit for 2 to 3 weeks at 75˚F.
Coopers recipe is here: http://store.coopers.com.au/recipes/index/view/id/90/

Latest posts

Back