Toucan stout- both Cooper's Dry Irish Stout?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clone63

Reaction score
I've seen a few people refer to a toucan stout (2 can) using 1 can of Cooper's stout and 1 can of Cooper's dark ale in 1 brew.
Sounds fine, but I'm not even sure I can get the dark ale here (Canada). I know for sure I can get Cooper's Select Dry Irish Stout. I've seen mention of people brewing 2 of these, but no reported results that I could weed out.
Would be great if I could get something close to a RIS, but seeing a lot of low attenuation reports with this kit, so I'm checking if anyone has tried this, or at least has a good idea or recommendation of where to go!

I'm aiming to use 2 kits because DME prices are worse than the kits typically :( I'd like something higher in gravity and ABV but of course don't want tar. Would be willing to go to a lower volume, as well if necessary. Or just 1 kit for 3 gal or so.. shrug.

Pretty sure craig from craigtube has videos (individually) using stout and dark ale so it must be available there somewhere.

I think using two Irish Stouts cans would be pretty intense. Bribie G used to do a Toucan with coopers ordinary stout cans + I think 1Kg of Dme and maybe 1Kg of dextrose. I think he also won an award in competition with this brew. I usually do the toucan with Irish and Dark Ale, comes out delicious.

There is a strong Russian Imperial stout recipe on the Coopers site worth a try maybe you could substitute Dark Ale for a different brand of Brown Ale can. Need to pitch plenty of yeast if you try this. http://www.coopers.com.au/the-brewers-guild/how-to-brew/strong/russian-imperial-stout

Back