Coopers Sparkling Ale -high OG

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unclestewbrew

Reaction score
Hi Fellas , put down my fifth brew yesterday , a Coopers Sparkling Ale from my LHBS
1can Thomas Coopers Sparkling Ale
800g Light Dry Malt
1kg Light Liquid Malt Extract.

Mixed it all together and filled to 23 litres , took a OG reading and it was 1070.

This appears really high , should I be concerned or will the FG be slightly high to ?

Cheers Stu

Hi Stu

I suspect you either ( a ) didn't have all the hopped & unhopped liquid malt thoroughly stirred in and fully dissolved; ( b ) had a blob of malt stuck in the tap when you took the reading; or ( c ) consider using that hydrometer as a float next time you go fishing.

Without doing the sums in IanH's spreadsheet, that brew will have an OG around the high 40s or low 50s.

Panic not! Cheers

Thanks antiphile , it was the first time I've used light dry malt and there were a few small clumps that wouldnt dissolve
Thinking back I should have poured a bit off first and then filled the test tube.

Anyway , hopefully all will be good ,
Cheers

Unclestewbrew said:
Thanks antiphile , it was the first time I've used light dry malt and there were a few small clumps that wouldnt dissolve
Thinking back I should have poured a bit off first and then filled the test tube.

Anyway , hopefully all will be good ,
Cheers
With extract brewing there is really no need to take an OG reading. It's very difficult to get all the malts perfectly mixed in. Brewing software is very accurate with extracts, so trust the software & just take your hydro readings after fermentation prior to bottling
Also, with DME I find it very useful to use a whisk when adding it. It eliminates clumps forming & mixes it into the wort very efficiently.

Another very easy way when using dry malt, is to make sure it is the very first thing to go into your "dry" or almost dry fermenter. Don't add water beforehand! When all the dry malt is in, add about 1.5 litres of just boiled water from your electric kettle. Immediately pick up the FV and vigorously swirl the contents for 30 seconds. Voila. All dissolved.

Then add liquid malts (hopped and/or unhopped), and anything else you want and stir to dissolve. Top with cold water and if needed, iced water, to get to the desired pitching temp.

Thanks for setting me straight with the dry malt guys , I did add the liquid malt and water first and then the dry stuff.

Excellent advise for us new brewers on this site from guys who obviously know their stuff ,

Cheers

Unclestewbrew said:

If using dry malt straight into a fermenter Coopers recommend to put it in first, then add a litre of boiling water and swish the fermenter around in a bear hug.
Dry malt ( dme ) dissolves best at temps above 95 deg C. The other way is to stove top boil it ( with some hops of course ) and then add it to the fermenter.

Latest posts

Back