Coopers Pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGRO

Reaction score
Hi guys, i was at the supermarket today and picked up a can of coopers pale ale, i have never done this kit before, so im going to add 1 kg of coopers brew enhancer 2 and 500g or coopers light dry malt to up the alc a bit and just use the yeast from the tin. what do ya think? anything else you think i should add? some hops and if so which one?

Cheers!!

I think Coopers PA is a great 'base' kit for adding flavours to. Perfect for experimentation!

I'd go all malt as a starting point. I think the BE2 can leave the kit feeling a bit bodyless...

Two of the best brews I've made with this kit used those Mogan's hops "teabags". With one, i steeped a Cascade hops bag and chucked it into the fermenter. Dry hopped using another Cascade bag about three days later. (All in primary - didn't have two fermenters then ;-) )

Second time I made it the same but used a fuggles bag and dry-hopped a goldings...

Both beers came out fantastic in their own right.

hi...good to see a few more people from brisvagas about...
try this one if you like
1.7 kg tin coopers australian pale ale
1 kg ldm
280 g dextrose

specialty grains
250 g caramunich [steeped for 1/2 hour at 70-80/c then boiled]
100 g carapils [steeped for 1/2 hour at 70-80/c then boiled]

hops

10 g amarillo @ 10 mins
10 g willamette @ 10 mins
10 g cascade @ 10 mins

05 g willamette @ 5 mins
05 g cascade @ 5 mins

yeast us-56
cheers simpletotoro

If your feeling up to it this only require hops additions

Easy drinking Pale Ale
Tin: Coopers Pale Ale (1.7kg)
Sugars: 750g Light Dried Malt*,
250g dextrose,
250g malto dex.
Willamette hops 18 g @10 mins
Willamette hops 6 g @ 5 mins
Pride of Ringwood 12 g @ boiling water at flame out
Yeast: safale 04 yeast 11.5g (20/c)#

Generic Pale Ale
Coopers Pale Ale (1.7kg)
500g Light Dried Malt,
500g dextrose,

Hops: CASCADE HOPS 10G @10 mins
Willamette HOPS 10G @10 mins
CASCADE HOPS 9G @ FLAME OUT
Willamette HOPS 3G @ FLAME OUT

Yeast: can use cooper pale ale yeast(18/c)# use a better yeast though.

this one is really nice. but again a little more stuffing around.
EQPA
Coopers Pale Ale kit
0.5kg Morgans Caramalt Extract
1 kg Liquid Amber Malt
0.300kg Light DME
0.300kg Brew Enhancer or Dex
30g Goldings ( 15 g boiled 45 min, 15 g boiled 20 min )
Dissolve DME in 2or 3 litres water by bringing to boil, add and boil Goldings for specified times.
Dissolve extracts & dex/BE in hot water in fermenter in usual K&K way,
add liquid from boiling through a strainer, add steeped Fuggles without straining.
Fill to 25 to 26 litres.
English Ale yeast (such as nottingham)

Made this one last year to try out Nelson Sauvin
Coopers Pale Ale,
BE2
25g Nelson Sauvin, dry hopped.

Easy as, and turned out bloody terrific (6.7%).
Still have 3-4 longnecks closing on a year old.

As others said, the Coopers Pale Ale is a great kit and is good by itself or with additions.

If you are just starting out then I recommend using the recipe you mentioned as this will give you a good taste benchmark that will be eminiently drinkable.

Once you know what the base kit tastes like, you can start adding things to it in future recipes as this will show you what each of the ingredients does to the flavour. You won't know if all these additions improve things if you don't have relative point to compare them to.

Start simple and add extras like hops and better yeasts gradually in your recipes. Either way, it's pretty hard to go wrong with this kit. :chug:

Cheers for all the replys, i think all i will do is add some pride of ringwood hops and see what happens for my ist pale ale. then like fazerpete said if its any good i will see if i can better it.

Thanks again guys!

I put down one of these on saturday as an introduction into fresh hops and liquid malt extract. i have been just a plain K&K for a few years, but it is time to move on.

I used
tin of coopers pale ale
tin of coopers light malt extract
45gms of fresh cascade
us56 yeast (which i rehydrated)

i did a rolling boil on the LME for 25 mins,
15gms of cascade at 20 mins
15gms of cascade at 10 mins
15gms of cascade dry hopped

I don't know if what i did was right or not, as it is really my first shot at doing something better, but if it tasted half as good as it smelt when i was making itm ill be a happy camper.

sounds spot on mate.

after tasting this you'll never go back to a basic kit and kilo again.

only thing you have to do now is make sure you ferment at the right temps (18C is perfect, but between 16 and 20 will be fine)

I put down one of these on saturday as an introduction into fresh hops and liquid malt extract. i have been just a plain K&K for a few years, but it is time to move on.

I used
tin of coopers pale ale
tin of coopers light malt extract
45gms of fresh cascade
us56 yeast (which i rehydrated)

i did a rolling boil on the LME for 25 mins,
15gms of cascade at 20 mins
15gms of cascade at 10 mins
15gms of cascade dry hopped

I don't know if what i did was right or not, as it is really my first shot at doing something better, but if it tasted half as good as it smelt when i was making itm ill be a happy camper.

Or as my local HBS bloke suggested and had done himself, all of that cascade at flameout.

Or as my local HBS bloke suggested and had done himself, all of that cascade at flameout.

if you just want aroma thats fine, but if you actually want some flavour as well, then you need to boil it for a bit.

When you say add at flame out do you mean dry hopping? or leave for 2 min an then strain it all into the fermenter??

I would disagree with that, throwing 45g of hops into a just stopped boiling wort with add flavour too, particularly if you were to no chill or let it sit for 5-10 mins while you got the fermenter ready to add it.

Granted, not the same amount of flavour as a 20 min boil but i would think a significant amount all the same.

A useful experiment to see just how much flavour you get - am sure the no chillers could comment on that.

Latest posts

Back