Coopers Pale Ale Yeast only good for their pale ale?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't get huge banana from it. Great pear at 17-18, bit of a touch of banana at 20-21, but not overpowering. I mean a really slight hint. Not sure now the temps are getting up (SEQ), and i don't have temp controlled fermenting, ie. Fridge. Might stop using coopers yeast when I get bananaman pissed in my bottle brews.

I've only brewed a few of beers with the yeast from the bottle in the past. I've had a bit of bananna before.

not from experience with this yeast, but from other yeasts and reading, increasing oxygenation and pitching rate can reduce the banana. I can imagine many people underpitching when repitching from a bottle, and also I doubt homebrewers oxygenate as well as commercials.

So i guess i'm suggesting that maybe coopers put more emphasis and have better control over their pitching rates and oxyenation than most of us at home.

I've had similar issues with belgian ales recently. Hopefully i'm on top of that though.

Cheers
Al

3 long necks in 600 ml 1040 starter for 2-3 days btw.

Hilarious that Wort likes this post.

So has anyone used the re-cultured CPA yeast in other beers?
I was thinking maybe a red ale may work, as the yeast attenuates high. I suppose it would work in most pale ales but it would be interesting to see how it goes in other ales?
Maybe I will come up with something using the malts I have and give it a go

Pickaxe said:
3 long necks in 600 ml 1040 starter for 2-3 days btw.

Hilarious that Wort likes this post.
Yeah I suppose it could seem a little Hilarious to some, it seem hilarious that you feel the need to comment on it but each to their own.

I was only trying to encourage a post that has some information that others could build on. Lots of people are commenting on under-pitching and you provided helpful information in what looks to be an after thought post, this would help someone try to replicate your results and avoid excessive banana. So yeah I do like that post. You could have edited you original post that's what I would have done but again each to their own.

If I wanted to increase my post count at every available opportunity I could have commented I suppose. But IMO the "Like" button is very useful for getting rid of rubbish post such as this one ;)

Maybe he was making a pun. "Wort" likes (the yeast).

Yeah? Nah?

Jesus.

Yeah I can see that Jesus my bad :unsure:

If this was the case I offer my apologies.

Just so we're not completely confused I was referring to my post as the rubbish post.

Wort.

At which stage has the banana become evident? I'm just curious as I've recently done a couple of brews with it and can't say I noticed any banana smell or taste prior to bottling. Is it still a chance to appear after maturing in the bottle?

Mikedub said:
I cant think of a hop I'd want to late hop with it though, bittering only
I recently used it in an IPA with a bunch of fruity hops (can't quite remember, I think galaxy, cascade & citra were in there) and it was great. It was a repitched cup of slurry from a pale ale though, & I didn't get overpowering banana.

To add to this, it is imperative that with coopers yeast you stay to 16-18 degrees. My last 2 recultured coppers brews exceeded 18, more like 20+ at times and the results are lacking. No more pear, but not quite banana, but not satisfactory.
My summer is gonna be a real bitch, just having had a 35 degree day if I don't get temp control happening, I might have to start saisons until next autumn/winter. I'm only on ambient ferment temps, ans under my strairs in my new place is untested. Wasnt until this last winter that my brews have become excellent. It's a real bitch, but coppers yeast is outvfor me now. Unless under my stairs can stabilise at 18 max.

hi all. newbie here, about to start third batch soon. looking at an IPA kit with some add ins.

was curious as to whether there are any other bottle conditioned commercial beers out there we can get the yeast from like we can with CPA?

also, can anyone suggest a good simple method of extracting and growing the yeast for pitching from a six pack?

There are a number of them I believe. Two I know of are Sierra Nevada and Rogue. You can get yeast out of any bottle conditioned beer, the unknown is how healthy it will be.

Rocker1986 said:
You can get yeast out of any bottle conditioned beer, the unknown is how healthy it will be.
...and whether it is the primary strain.

primary strain? (sorry, noob)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

sticksy said:
primary strain? (sorry, noob)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Commercial bottle conditioned beers are often filtered after fermentation, then bottled with a different yeast such as a lager yeast to bottle condition. Little Creatures pale ale and various international wheat beers come to mind.

Back