Coopers Pale Ale Yeast only good for their pale ale?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
New brewer and Im on my 3rd brew ising coopers goop and all malt so far (no dextrose appart from priming ofcourse).

I currently have my seccond batch of Coopers Pale Ale currently fermenting on top of a recultured Coopers Pale Ale commercial bottle yeast.
I wouldnt mind using the yeast once more to fill another of my new kes up.

As the title suggests, is the coopers pale ale recultured yeast good for any other beers appart from their pale ale?

Thanks!

@admin pease move if this is in the wrong section.

Edit: typo

Take a cup or so of the trub when you have bottled, either rinse it or pitch it directly (Standard gravity/volume), People report no bad effect from this, Ive always rinsed the yeast personally...

I dont use coopers yeast though personally as I like to eat bananas and not drink them :)

Why not? I've even heard that it's really good yeast!

Naturally you wouldn't throw it in a lager but I reckon many ales would go alright from this.

Purely an assumption - but I would imagine the yeast is quite dry without any fruitiness... I'm sure there's a profile on it somewhere!

Yob said:
I like to eat bananas and not drink them :)
Lol. Does this shoot down my assumption that the yeast doesn't leave you with a fruity beer?

When using recultured CPA yeast I've made the following observations:

- First brew after reculturing from bottle yeast throws more banana than subsequent brews (possible underpitching due to unknown quantity of viable yeast in bottle sediment?)
- Fermenting at 16-17 degrees (and pitching slightly below this) definitely favours pear over banana
- No need to cold crash as leaving some yeast in the beer contributes to flavour IMO
- It's a beast! Fermentation typically complete in 2-3 days

I get huge banana first brews. So bad I could barely drink it. Even fermented at 16 it throws banana at me. Haven't used it in ages because of this.

Id be interested to hear what other beers people have made with this yeast and the results.
I have a 6 pack of CPA in the fridge and I'm planning on re-culturing the yeast for a clone but would consider using it in another beer

Cube said:
I get huge banana first brews. So bad I could barely drink it. Even fermented at 16 it throws banana at me. Haven't used it in ages because of this.
This has also been my experience, but repitching slurry or using a starter from washed trub has greatly reduced the amount of banana for me. I also think that pitching cool helps.

Coopers use the same yeast for all of their ales so should be compatible with a number of styles. Saying that I don't see any cloudiness in the latest Vintage Ale so maybe it is not bottle conditioned like the others.

Hmm i will have to look out for the bannana taste in my first 2 CPA's.
The first was pitched at 22degC and fermented at 17degC and the seccond was pitched at the same temp but is fermenting at 19degC.
Both used light liquid malt extract with no dex so maybe i can report back to say if 2degc makes a difference.

@tropical brews,
Thats good to hear i might 'wash' the yeast and I was thinking of trying a coopers dark ale.

jimmyfozzers said:
This has also been my experience, but repitching slurry or using a starter from washed trub has greatly reduced the amount of banana for me. I also think that pitching cool helps.
what's the lowest temp you've successfully fermented it at mate? i'm about to use it in a vienna/galaxy smash and didn't want to have too much banana if it could be helped. pear would be great. first recultured pitch and i'm doing about 200ml in a 10L test batch.

edit. mr malty suggested 50ish mL for the job but i wanted to make sure it wasn't underpitched given the unknown quantity of vialble yeast.

I use it in Ales, Stouts and wheat beers (thanks to Bribie), love it, finishes dry, no banana isse so far re- pitching , ferment at 17
I cant think of a hop I'd want to late hop with it though, bittering only

This is from the byo.com yeast reference guides, I assume its the yeast that comes in the kits

http://byo.com/resources/yeast

Coopers Pure Brewers' Yeast
Type
Dry

Lab
Coopers

Floc.
High

Atten.
High

Temp.
68-80°

Desc.
Clean, round flavor profile.

It's my yeast of choice in my house ale which is a pale bittered with POR and late hopped with Galaxy. Interesting, my palate rarely picks up any banana with it, but I do get the pear coming through which compliments the Galaxy nicely. I used S04 with this recipe once when I couldn't be bothered re-culturing and the beer suffered for it.

I've never repitched it before, always built up from stubbie dregs, but the last brew I did I saved a jar of the slurry to re-pitch.

Yes the kit yeast is different. I think the OP is reculturing Coopers Commercial yeasts.

fletcher said:
what's the lowest temp you've successfully fermented it at mate? i'm about to use it in a vienna/galaxy smash and didn't want to have too much banana if it could be helped. pear would be great. first recultured pitch and i'm doing about 200ml in a 10L test batch.

edit. mr malty suggested 50ish mL for the job but i wanted to make sure it wasn't underpitched given the unknown quantity of vialble yeast.
The lowest I've gone is 16.5, but I know that Coopers ferment at 16, so with a decent sized starter 16 should be fine. Even at 16.5 my last batch was fermented out to 1.007 in about 4 days.

Tropical_Brews said:
Yes the kit yeast is different. I think the OP is reculturing Coopers Commercial yeasts.
Just to clear up any doubt, its the coopers pale ale yeast recultured from 2 longies.
I woud want someone to put me into line if i was trying to re use their dry packet kit yeast or 'shotgun yeast' as i like to call it :lol:

Also great insight guys its good to hear the different ways you guys use it.

On a related note, was on the Coopers tour a few weeks ago and asked Frank the tour guide whether they had backup stashes of yeast anywhere in case of disaster etc. He just looked at me straight faced and said "Yeah, we have thousands of samples all over the country". Then the penny dropped. Made me smile anyway :D

I pitched a starter into a brew on Friday last.
the starter was 1.8 l from the dregs of a dozen pale ale stubbies
I must have done something right cos its the most aggressive start ive had going off it's face sat morning
it was in a 46l brew.
it started at 1.038 om Friday arvo todayall over at 1.002
put it in first time keg over the weekend
cheers
ken

jimmyfozzers said:
The lowest I've gone is 16.5, but I know that Coopers ferment at 16, so with a decent sized starter 16 should be fine. Even at 16.5 my last batch was fermented out to 1.007 in about 4 days.
thanks. yeah i'll try it at 16 i think. i'll hopefully get no (or little) banana with a decent starter size

Latest posts

Back