Coopers Mexican Cerveza

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sg is a tiny bit under 1.012 today, it was dead on 1.012 yesterday.
it tastes much like beer flavoured water to me (i like dark ales) but forced the missus to take a teaspoonful as I thought it needed some hops added.
she loves it as is.
so into a keg it goes. (with added gelatin) I have warned her it will probably kick like a mule. she said 'cooooool, whens it on tap'

Alright fellas.

I am nearly 3 weeks into brewing the Mangrove Jacks Mexican Cerveza.

I have kept it simple.

Mangrove Jacks Mexican Cerveza 1.7kg
Mangrove Jacks Beer Yeast Bohemian Lager Yeast M84
Brew Blend Malt Booster #15 1kg

I also used bottled spring water from Aldi (as I dont trust my taps)

Mixed into the vessel and set the fridge via my stc-1000 at 11.5c and it probly varied from 11.5-10.5c for 2 weeks.
Tested the OG levels and the read 1.018 for 3 days straight.

So I finally bottled (glass bottles) it on the 16th day (last sunday) and used Dextrose sugar measures out via the measuring cups I bought from the homebrew shop.

Was a little confused as to what temp to set the fridge to after bottling.

I did some reading and found once bottling the temp should be 18c + for 2-3 days to allow second fermentation (DONE).

Which is where I am at now.
I have just set the stc-1000 back to 11c. The fridge was currently at 20c.

Just after some thoughts/advice?

Also noticed that it tasted a bit "fruity" like a cider?

Is this your first lager? 1.018 is a bit high. Lagers normally take 2-3 weeks to ferment out and require extra yeast at that temp. It's probable you've underpitched with only one pack of yeast so it may have stopped before your desired FG.

As a general rule lagers at lager temps require double the yeast. Let Mr Malty be your guide http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

I've found with my lagers (and from good advice) that they tend to taste cidery when they're nearing the end of fermentation, so around the 1.020 mark for an expected FG of 1.010.
Fruitiness is certainly a character of lagers that haven't been lagered. They taste completely different after a few weeks in the fridge.

Re: bottling I'm not sure on best practice, but I've put capped bottles into the fridge the next day, left for 3 weeks, and they were fully carbed and drinkable by that stage (using 2042). The closer they are stored to zero the better. And lager yeast does chew away slowly at fridge temps.

I did a Coopers kit as a lager using 34/70. Left in the fermenter for 5 weeks, with a diacetyl rest, bottled and 6 days later put in the fridge @ 3'. Three weeks later I tried one and it was just barely carbed. Took the remainder out of the fridge, shook up the yeast and left at ambient for 3 weeks giving a shake every week. After that they were fully carbed.

Leave out of the fridge for 2-3 weeks to carb up but not at too high temp, around 18-24c is ok, then put in fridge as cold and as long as you can.

No worries Wiggman, ill keep that in mind for the next lager I do.. Just downloaded the Mr Malty app too! And Re bottling.. Say if I drop it down to 5c for 3 weeks they'll be pretty much carbed?

Superstock so if they arent carbed up you suggest shaking the bottles? What do you mean by ambient?

Yum beer, I only did 3 days at 18-24c. They've been at 11c for 1 day now..

No promises they'll be carbed. It's a fickle thing sometimes. Considering you didn't use a lot of yeast, I'd probably leave them at ambient temps (i.e. sitting on a shelf in a room) for a week first to be more confident.

PurpleHaze said:
And Re bottling.. Say if I drop it down to 5c for 3 weeks they'll be pretty much carbed?

Superstock so if they arent carbed up you suggest shaking the bottles? What do you mean by ambient?

Yum beer, I only did 3 days at 18-24c. They've been at 11c for 1 day now..
At 5' they will eventually carb up, but it will take a lot longer than 3 weeks. Reread my previous post.
In my case the yeast had dropped out and gone to sleep. Moving to a warmer enviroment and shaking wakes up the yeast to finish carbing up.
Ambient = the temperature of the day. I usually carb up with the bottles in a cupboard in the house for 2 to 3 weeks then chill.

Yeah no worries well I might just turn off the Fridge and let it get bacj to about 18-22c give them a shake and let them sit for 2-3 weeks then!

Thanks for ya help boys! Will let ya know how they turn out!

i recently did a batch of coopers mexican infused with backhousia citriodora (Citrus-scented Myrtle) leaves steeping for 24hrs in boiling water.
Let it be known that i filled up to the 18 litre mark to give this batch a real kick.
popped 24 leaves in boiling water to sit overnight, strained the liquid and retained approx 6 leaves. Then i chucked in the lot into the secondary and left for 48 hrs.
the result is very a subtle hint of citrus. it has excellent head retention and just the right nip of the lemony taste.
A mate tried it and nearly shat his pants from the sheer awesomeness of the flavour, but reckons i've done better brews, so there you have it folks.

Latest posts

Back