Coopers Mexican Cerveza

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last night I did a can of cerveza, 2 kg pale malt and 1/2 a lunch box of cooked jasmine rice. I just checked OG and it was only 1.038. Is that too low?

I pitched two packets of coopers lager yeast at 11 deg C and will raise it to 13 degC in the mornng.

A bit low. Because the rice was not mashed with another grain containing enzymes no conversion has happened.

Eagleburger said:
Last night I did a can of cerveza, 2 kg pale malt and 1/2 a lunch box of cooked jasmine rice. I just checked OG and it was only 1.038. Is that too low?

I pitched two packets of coopers lager yeast at 11 deg C and will raise it to 13 degC in the mornng.

Eagleburger said:

Mashed 1.25 BB pale malt and 1/2 kilo jasmine rice. Used a thermal cooker from aldi holds 6 liters .Put the grain and rice through a large coffee grinder .Poured 2 liters of boiling water over rice and left to cook for a couple of hours and then mixed more water and pale malt on stove top till reached 55 Celsius and let soak for half hour in thermal cooker .Put on stove again and then up to 66 Celsius and 1 hour in thermal cooker then heat again and repeat.Used 10 grams German magnum hops and coopers lager yeast .Jasmine rice gives a nice dry taste drinking after 2 weeks in the bottle not going to be able to let mature too easy to drink.

Hi looking to improve after making a cerveza (First ever brew) I used coopers cerveza tin, Coopers BE2 and kit yeast.

It tasted good but I didn't leave it long enough or take any readings (yes I know rookie mistake)

I was hoping to get it around 5%, I keg my beer

Kegged my batch last night. Tastes a bit weird, but quite fruity.

The pale malt doesn't have enzymes?

The euro lager I did the same, except I used bohemian lager strain tastes brill and it just attenuated.

Pale malt as in grain malt has heaps of enzymes, particularly the Aussie varieties. If mashing with rice or maize, best to do that above 70 degrees for the alpha amylase to nuke the starch in the rice.

Confusion can arise with newer brewers as sometimes on the forums "pale malt" is incorrectly used to describe light dried malt extract. Many LHBS of the essences and distillation type also tend to bag their LDME as "Pale Malt" that doesn't help newbies.

Hey guys if I can tune in here I have been reading through this thread a bit after wanting to produce something that would be enjoyable in summer, that I could make a fair volume of for summer, and that my brothers and their mates (typical 18 year old megaswill drinkers) would be able to enjoy in the warmer months. I've come up with a draft recipe and would absolutely LOVE some feedback :)

Ingredients:
1 x Coopers Mexican Cerveza Can (1.7kg)
Briess Pilsen Malt LME (1.5kg)
Rice Malt LME/syrup (500gm)
Saaz 10g @ 40 mins
Saaz 15g @ 15 mins

Stats:
OG: 1.049
FG: 1.011
IBU: 26.7
EBC: 7.4
Volume into fermenter: 23L

Should work well. At the risk of being flamed I'd just use the tin yeast as well, I always had good results with that in my KnK days and often found that using so called "better" yeasts often took the kits "off track" from what they were designed to be, and didn't do a great deal for me until I got into AG.

The trick with the tin yeasts is to use two packets as the supplied packet is really stingy when it comes to yeast count, then to apply temperature control: under 20. This would be a good time to try a couple for the summer.

One suggestion, I don't think the Saaz is going to add a lot to the recipe, the megaswill drinkers aren't used to anything "floral", but a hint of a hop bite would be acceptable, especially if they are used to the likes of VB.

For a good clean bittering I'd go 8g only of Magnum for 40 min, increasing to maybe 10g in subsequent brews if you want to up the bittering.

Bribie G said:
Should work well. At the risk of being flamed I'd just use the tin yeast as well, I always had good results with that in my KnK days and often found that using so called "better" yeasts often took the kits "off track" from what they were designed to be, and didn't do a great deal for me until I got into AG.

The trick with the tin yeasts is to use two packets as the supplied packet is really stingy when it comes to yeast count, then to apply temperature control: under 20. This would be a good time to try a couple for the summer.

One suggestion, I don't think the Saaz is going to add a lot to the recipe, the megaswill drinkers aren't used to anything "floral", but a hint of a hop bite would be acceptable, especially if they are used to the likes of VB.

For a good clean bittering I'd go 8g only of Magnum for 40 min, increasing to maybe 10g in subsequent brews if you want to up the bittering.
Cheers for the suggestions, I'm not a k&k brewer per se, I brew extract (unhopped) most of the time and US-05 is my go to. Also on the hop front when I say I want my brothers mates to like it I also want to like it too haha :p I wanted to produce something light but something with flavour as well, I figured the citrusy floral saaz would give it something I enjoy as well as something megaswill drinkers wouldnt mind?

EDIT: cheers for the suggestion of magnum for bittering I might switch to that for bittering

I'll back you Bribie. The Kit yeast works quite well in the cerveza kit, and using 2 is the solution to gettting the best out of the kit yeast. If not Try Notto for it's high flocculation, but it will drag some of the hops flavout with it.

I am drinking mine now. Would be good summer drop. As close to water as you can get. Imo the eurolager kicks its but. So good I want to clone it using AG.

burrster said:
I'll back you Bribie. The Kit yeast works quite well in the cerveza kit, and using 2 is the solution to gettting the best out of the kit yeast. If not Try Notto for it's high flocculation, but it will drag some of the hops flavout with it.
Is it okay if I use the sachet in the tin and a sachet that's been sitting in my 'homebrew stuff box'? It's about 3 or so months old and hasn't been refrigerated at all, I'm assuming as long as its not past its use by date then it'll be all good?

Given the kit yeast has been on a shelf for who knows how long it shouldn't really matter.

It should be ok (not ideal but ok) As Yum mentions, who know how long it was on the shelf before you got it. I'd re hydrate the yeast to give it the best chance of doing it's job.

Hi Mattyg8. I've tried this kit with all sorts of hops. I could recommend Galaxy, Centennial, Citra, Amarillo, Cascade, Simcoe, Hallertau. Right Now I'd probably pick Galaxy. you could mix a few together too ( I know none of these are with in the style of a cerveza but this kit is really good for pimping out)

Probably not a huge help with so many options. Like I said I'd probably pick Galaxy at the moment.

burrster said:
Hi Mattyg8. I've tried this kit with all sorts of hops. I could recommend Galaxy, Centennial, Citra, Amarillo, Cascade, Simcoe, Hallertau. Right Now I'd probably pick Galaxy. you could mix a few together too ( I know none of these are with in the style of a cerveza but this kit is really good for pimping out)

Probably not a huge help with so many options. Like I said I'd probably pick Galaxy at the moment.
Thanks was thinking of grabbing some galaxy so I'll give that a good

Galaxy is an awesome hop but remember if you are using it, then use it late in the boil - no more than 5 or 10 minutes before the end of the boil. It can add a harsh bitterness if used to early.

I like using 30g at 5 minutes myself as I've just done this week with a quick faux lager. Lot of punchy fruit flavour with no harsh bitterness that way.

I've got to admit I'm liking the Mexican Cerveza kit more and more each time I use it. I used to use the lager kit as my go to base but I think you might have converted me Burrster :ph34r:

What do you mean late in the boil? I've only user hops once when I did a pale ale with Amarillo where I boiled in 2L of water with 200g of dme then added 25g of Amarillo for 12 mins then placed in fermenter with rest of the ingredients

Latest posts

Back