Coopers Mexican Cerveza

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
12 minutes is considered late( as opposed to 20-60 minutes) but I guess keeping it under 10 minutes is a good idea, regarding the bitterness.

sorry Im still confused in regards to late...this is the chart I was show last time when I did it

So I should boil for 8 mins or so? how many g's? and whats a good yeast for this

thanks again and sorry for all the questions
46323.jpg

Nottingham is a good clean yeast, or US 05 will allows hops flavours to come through a little better(but produce slightly cloudy beer) As for boiling hops, is an experiment that takes time to master. Every hop is different too. Longer boils give more bitterness. If this is not what you are after then late additions are best. As menotes suggested try 30g at 5 minutes. If you like the result stick with it, if not try something different. I'm on my phone so I cannot get to ians spread sheet, but download this and work out how it works. It will help you reproduce consistent beer time and time again. The chart you've got is also a good guide, but like most pieces of info, it's not the whole picture.

Ok thanks I will try 30g at 5 minutes on a rolling boil...Should I add 100gm of dme per 1L of water for boiling

Ok, from what I read you previously steeped the hops in just boiled water? If you felt comfortable with that method and wanted to repeat it, this should go reasonably close to Burrster's and menoetes suggestion (please correct me if I'm wrong guys):

Bring 2 litres of water to the near boil, add 100 or 200 grams dry malt extract and whisk to dissolve. Continue heating until a rolling boil. Then turn off the heat and immediately put in the 30 g Galaxy hops and occasionally give a gentle stir. Leave for about 6 minutes, then place the saucepan in a sink of cold tap water to cool down. Strain the hop tea into the fermenter with the other ingredients. Cheers.

antiphile said:
Ok, from what I read you previously steeped the hops in just boiled water? If you felt comfortable with that method and wanted to repeat it, this should go reasonably close to Burrster's and menoetes suggestion (please correct me if I'm wrong guys):

Bring 2 litres of water to the near boil, add 100 or 200 grams dry malt extract and whisk to dissolve. Continue heating until a rolling boil. Then turn off the heat and immediately put in the 30 g Galaxy hops and occasionally give a gentle stir. Leave for about 6 minutes, then place the saucepan in a sink of cold tap water to cool down. Strain the hop tea into the fermenter with the other ingredients. Cheers.
Last time I boiled 2L of water, Then added 200 grams of DME and continued heating untill a rolling boil then added the hops and let it continue to rolling boil for 13 mins or so like this video

Last edited by a moderator:
antiphile said:

Last time I boiled 2L of water, Then added 200 grams of DME and continued heating untill a rolling boil then added the hops and let it continue to rolling boil for 13 mins or so like this video <iframe width="640" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/s7iqgerF748" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

There's no problem with your technique Mattyg8, it's solid. Good ol' Cellar Dwellers eh? :)

If you wanted to, you could up the boil volume to 4 or 5 liters and squeeze to help get the most out of your hops (kinda like dissolving a cup of sugar in water, the more hot water you have, the easier and more effective it is) otherwise your 2 liter boil is fine.

What you say is right, bring to the roiling boil then add your hops and start your timer. For a 5 minute hop addition you would take it off 5 minutes later and either cool it or add it straight to the fermenter with your kit and other malts/sugar.

Personally I do a 5 liter boil in a 10 stock liter pot (5 liters of water with 500g of malt) and once the hops have boiled enough (5 minutes in this case) I just take it off the heat, pour the Cerveza kit and extra malt into the pot with the hops. I then stir it all vigorously to dissolve it all together and then pour the lot into the fermenter and top it up with cold water to 23 liters.

The benefits of this include: getting the most out of my hops with a bigger boil, the ease of dissolving the kit and extra malt in a boiling pot on a hot stovetop, the rapid cooling of the wort & hops when I top up the fermenter with cold water (this stops them cooking and adding more bitterness).

I sometimes find a bigger boil means my final temperature is a bit high at first (anything above 20'c is generally no good for brewers yeast) but I pop the sanitized lid on my fermenter and stick it somewhere cool overnight. If it's all properly sanitized/sealed up it should be fine, having cooled down and be ready to pitch the yeast by morning.

I 'hop' this has helped :lol:

Hey guys just a quick question, I've been playing around with a few cerveza recipes because I'm looking for something I can make cheeap for my corona drinking friends (-_-). When it comes to basically trying to replicate a corona would the Coopers Cerveza tin, 500g of Rice Malt Syrup and then say 500g dex cut it for a 21-23L batch? Works out really really cheap. Also with the possibility of magnum bittering or something late-ish to add some flavour?

I used a Saflager s-23 yeast on my Cerveza and have had it fermenting at 14C for 12 days and its about .1020 and using Ians spreed sheet its should get to about .1014... Should I leave it for a few more days?
Should I drop the temperature down to 10C?

I will be kegging and dont have a free keg atm so would it benefit if I try largering at 2C for a week? is that the right technique

put one of these down for the missus, she loves beer but doesnt like malt or hops .. women..
so this was a test in making the most vodkaish beer possible.
so instead of using a brew enhancer I only threw in a kg of dextrose, made it up to 21litres i think. OG 1.036 and now its looking pretty clear with an SG of 1.012. no idea how coopers reckon a kg of dextrose makes up 4.9% as this is about 3.2% according to a calculator. she might not like malt or hops but she does like ethanol.
so unless my volume is way out I am not sure how coopers come up with their figures unless the OG I wrote on the fermenter is incorrect, just makes no sense.
its been pretty much stopped for 2 days, so just chucked in 500g of coopers BE1. after mopping up a bit of escaped foam gave it a bit of a stir and back under airlock.

It sounds like a hell of an experiment Stonehull, did you correct your hydrometer reading for temperature? If the wort was warm it will throw out the hydrometer reading ei; if your wort was 40'c then that OG of 1.036 would in fact be closer to 1.041.

I find it strange that a 21lt brew with a coopers ceveza kit and a kilo of dex should only come to a SG of 1.036. I would have thought that it ought to be somewhat higher. With the addition of the BE1 it is going to be a strong beer but very dry and somewhat tasteless...

...which is what you were after, if I understand you correctly. I wouldn't be too keen to drink it but I hope your misses enjoys it.

Your OG sounds a bit low Stonemull, and your FG sounds high. These kits (especially with dextrose) should get a long way down, like 1.007 as stated in a post beforehand. What yeast did you use and what temp has it been sitting at? Did you give it a rouse at any stage?

Also, what do you mean by "mopping up a bit of escaped foam"?

Also remember that bottle priming will add 0.4-0.5% ABV, so using your online caluclators you should get an expected percentage of around 4.3%.

this is going into a keg, bought a flow control tap from ibrew testerday and a 9.5 cornie a fitted it into the fridge, so I thought the little boost of 1kg of dextrose as opposed to the suggested 1kg of BE1 or BE2 would make up for no secondary fermenting.
i pitched yeast at 26C then put it in the pantry, middle of house and dark. it dropped to 22C and has been at 22 since.
I am from the distilling side of the fence and beer is still very very new to me, so I probably am a bit rough with it.
I was going to rack it into a 19l cornie yesterday, carefully put it up on the table, pulled the airlock and measured FG of 1.012, plugged the numbers into an SG calclulator and it came out to 3.1% or so, so I decided to add 500g of BE as my last simple coopers had some head retention issues anyway. I have seen others mention 1.012 as an FG for this kit, thought it was done.
So I tipped in maybe 100g BE1 and it released the CO2 in solution and started foaming up, the BE1 pretty much floating on top capturing everything, it made it to the top of the fermenter and lost a tiny amount due to overflow before it settled down.
After stirring the top few inches gently I could pour more BE1 in without more foam, so added half a box and chucked it back in the pantry. I couldnt measure SG again due to the foam. just measured it then and its back down at 1.012 again (@21.3C) , having only stirred the top though, I assume the BE1 will not be sitting on the bottom. Did not see any airlock activity but my fermenter needs a new seal and I probably did not have it tight enough.
There is quite a strong sulphur smell from the brew now, more potent than yesterday. we are on rainwater only here with an old concrete tank, we are used to hydrogen sulphide gassing off after rains, its the active bacteria in the water tank breaking down sediments in an oxygen free water.
Plan is to leave it in the fermenter for a few more days then rack into a large corny for at least a week or so, then keg transfer to the smaller cornie for carbonation and refridgeration.

I am now wondering if maybe I never stirred it enough originally to get all the dextrose into solution, water temp was probably only 45C or so when I gave it a good paddling. I reckon dextrose dissolves pretty easily though. Thats the only thing that makes sense, my OG was way out. Going to be a strong brew then I guess.

this is the old fermenter, I think its around the 21/22litre mark currently.
QE1vgNml.jpg

Well come quick calculations with the help of IanH's spreadsheet would lead me to guess that you're looking at a brew around 6% ABV. That might not seem too bad but as you used sugar instead of malt it will be very dry and the alcohol taste will be quite noticable. Again, from what you said earlier - this seems to have been what you were after?

Latest posts

Back