Coopers Mexican Cerveza

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
burrster said:
Axl100, best bet would be to drop to 20L. It is a clean ('weak' as you put it)tasting brew though. If you describe what you think is weak, I could lead you in the right direction. Does it need more malt flavour, bitterness, hops flavour?
Hey Burrster if you could im open to any suggestions. I would like it a bit stronger in taste. Cheers.

Well, as mentions making the final volume less, with the same ingredients will increase the flavour(and ABV).

Alternately, for a more malty flavour you can add some light DME, maybe another 500g,

You could also steep some specialty grains, ie 250g of Caramalt. This is a great way to add that 'fresh' feel to your beer.

Adding hops will increase the flavour. This is done by selecting a hop you want, for example 20g Cascade steep it in hot water for say 10 minutes, then add this to your fermenter before pitching your yeast. this may increase bitterness if you use hot water above 70 degrees Celsius. If you are steeping gains then you can add hops to that process, after you've finished steeping the grains.

You can then also dry hop - ie by adding 20g of hops to the fermenter after the first 4 -5 days and leaving it for a week or so before bottling.

All these amounts of grain and hops are up to you to choose, but the above mentioned amounts are a good place to start.

If you are after more bitterness you can boil hops for up to 30 - 60 minutes in either the wort created from steeping the grain or one made from some of the can goop or other dry ingredients.

Ian's spread sheet is a great tool in help you create a good extract beers

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/29655-kit-and-extract-beer-spreadsheet/

I hope this helps Axl100

So I have my second batch of this done currently and it is looking great after 4 days. I had a bit of Krausen so thankfully I used the collar.

I wanted to know your thoughts about leaving my batch to clear out in the primary fermenter. Last batch I had left alone in the tub for 28 days at around 21 degrees and it was delish (IMO anyway) so I am trying to replicate this in the best way.

I have been speaking with 'Burrster' and he suggested to rack off the batch but seeing as though leaving it last time worked I am just hoping it will be the same second time around.

Thoughts?

No need to rack off the yeast, leave it as cool as you can for 10 days or so before bottling certainly helps.

Axl100 said:
Thank you Burrster for the helpful info. Im looking into it now...
Hey axl, if you want to keep it simple yet add some flavour,
1kg LDM
300gm Dextrose
is all you need to do to get a little extra depth into the cerveza.
Too much dex thins out the profile, which you want to a degree but it also adds flavours you don't want,so this mix works well.
If using the kit yeast ferment slow and cool around 15c or get some store bought lager yeast and pitch a larger amount...2 packs of kit yeast or 1 pack of store bought...at least.

yum beer said:
Hey axl, if you want to keep it simple yet add some flavour,
1kg LDM
300gm Dextrose
is all you need to do to get a little extra depth into the cerveza.
Too much dex thins out the profile, which you want to a degree but it also adds flavours you don't want,so this mix works well.
If using the kit yeast ferment slow and cool around 15c or get some store bought lager yeast and pitch a larger amount...2 packs of kit yeast or 1 pack of store bought...at least.
Cheers Yum Beer

fuseo said:
28 days from go to o is too long you reckon?
Not saying that, reality is; slow ferment and cold conditioning is going to add up to somewhere in that range anyway, likely not less than 21 days thats for sure.

Leaving it too long on the yeast can be counter productive and start to create off flavours off its own.

My own experience with Cerveza says 3 weeks is good in the fermenter then start trying bottles from 3 weeks on. 4 or 5 days in the fridge before drinking also helps. Don't throw 'em in the fridge in the morning and drink in the arvo.

I can do that. I will just keep an eye on it for the next couple of weeks and sample it every now and then. Thanks for your advice

Okay so bottled it today and tried some before finishing the last bottle. It had a vinegar taste and smelt a bit like it also. Will longer bottling help fix that or is it too late and i ship tip it down the drain?

Hey there... Vinegar taste..? I not sure about that as I ain't had that before but I'm sure someone here can explain that.. What hops did u use..? I use that kit alot wit 1kg of full light malt an 15g of amirillo hops kinda clone of James squire 150 lashes big fav wit friends.. An that's about 7 days in primary fermant at 20-22deg than rack for 3 days an keg tho if u are bottling than I use to bottle after 7 days sits for 3 weeks anyways an is great.. It's a great kit to work wit good for a corona clone or even a miller chill if you like the infused lime twist.

Yeh so do I that's all I do also.. Just a little extra here an there goes along way in the end product.. I only just got off the bottles but process/ferment is still the same.

Hey Fuseo. The vinegar taste doesn't sound promising. I'm always, 'the glass is half full' sort of guy, so I'd ride it out for a while, if for nothing else, but the experience of finding out what went wrong and why. For your sake I hope some one can say I'm wrong, but it should taste some what good straight out of the fermenter.

If it turns to vinegar then use it as vinegar have read that vinegar can be concentrated by freezing .

Had a second whiff of the bottled stuff and nearly spewed. All bottles tipped out and already and put down another batch after a thorough wash and sanitizer that I started last night with leaving "pink stuff" in the fermenter along with all the gear I used.

Fingers crossed the new batch goes way better!

So kit and kilo of Morgans Cerveza due the local not having the Coopers brand. Pitched yeast at 26 degrees and OG was at 1.032.

Latest posts

Back