Coopers Mexican Cerveza

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattwalker19

Reaction score
hello all

hopefully brewing a an easy drinking summer beer at the moment and cant cant decide wether its time to bottle

the brew is as follows

kit coopers mexican cerveza
1kg pure harvest rice malt syrup

i made it to 22 litres, kit yeast was pitched at about 19 deg. cel. OG 1036 on 7th November

after about a week of primary fermentation the pancake/crust dissipated and settled. i racked to a secondary to let it settle down for a while prior to bottling. temp has hovered between 19 and 22 deg cel. mark for the entire period

its now 5th Dec and i am still noticing activity. CO2 bubble clusters (about the 10 to 15 the size of 5cent pieces) are still on the surface and bubbles are slowly rising from the bottom of the brew

gravity has been a constant 1006 measured today and also this time last week

I did notice when i hydrated the kit yeast that it seemed to be made of 2 types (the yeast granules, that resemble sand, had 2 distinct colours as if it was a mix of 2 types) is this correct as i am don't know what strains of yeast coopers supply in this mix.

my theory was that one is a lager yeast which is taking longer to ferment out but it doesn't fit with my constant gravity readings and brewing temperature.

any thought would be appreciated

If there was nothing else (like dry enzyme for example) added to the brew and it's been a constant 1006 for a week, then you should be good to go. CO2 can still come out of solution after the sugar has been eaten. Your brew will probably have benefitted from having been left the extra time.

Let us know how this turned out. If you've made the Mex with the recommended BE2 how do they compare?

hello all

hopefully brewing a an easy drinking summer beer at the moment and cant cant decide wether its time to bottle

the brew is as follows

kit coopers mexican cerveza
1kg pure harvest rice malt syrup

i made it to 22 litres, kit yeast was pitched at about 19 deg. cel. OG 1036 on 7th November

after about a week of primary fermentation the pancake/crust dissipated and settled. i racked to a secondary to let it settle down for a while prior to bottling. temp has hovered between 19 and 22 deg cel. mark for the entire period

its now 5th Dec and i am still noticing activity. CO2 bubble clusters (about the 10 to 15 the size of 5cent pieces) are still on the surface and bubbles are slowly rising from the bottom of the brew

gravity has been a constant 1006 measured today and also this time last week

I did notice when i hydrated the kit yeast that it seemed to be made of 2 types (the yeast granules, that resemble sand, had 2 distinct colours as if it was a mix of 2 types) is this correct as i am don't know what strains of yeast coopers supply in this mix.

my theory was that one is a lager yeast which is taking longer to ferment out but it doesn't fit with my constant gravity readings and brewing temperature.

any thought would be appreciated

Should be good to go!
Yeah, it comes with a mixed yeast of lager and ale, but don't worry too much about that as long as your temps were stable...22 may be a little high for this type but shouldnt be any cause to worry as the yeast is highly tolerable.
Bottle, wait and enjoy at Christmas!

hi guys

many thanks for your comments

primed and bottled 10 days ago and chilled the first bottled this morning

just drank it and although could use a couple of more weeks to get a better condition it has a nice mellow soft taste

hopefully it will be a nice easy drinker over the xmas break

cheers all

looking at doing a coop mexican with a few different hops if possible

i want to ferment it in the fridge to keep the temp controlled and use some AKA 1056 12g yank ale yeast.

any ideas or hurdles fellas ?

cheers

Back